Brown recluse bite

scottfro

Arachnopeon
man i don't want to get bite by one of those...that was highly disturbing.

roylemom

Arachnopeon
:eek: Oh this brings back bad memories!!! Is this you dennie? I hope not!

I was bit by bown recluse (so the doctor said) about 10 years ago. I didn't feel the bite and never saw a spider, but one day there appears on my thigh a reddish hard lump about the size of a quarter. This thing got bigger, harder,(okay, get your mind out of the gutter, that's not where this is going: ) and more painful. By the third day, there was reddish, purpleish bruise around my entire thigh, and at this point, I could hardly walk. As I remeber, it was day 4, I was lying around, crying, couldn't stand up, and refusing to go to the doctor, when my mother said I was being a baby. She made me sit up and said it was just a little bite and she was going to squeeze the poison out!:eek:My brother held me down while my mom squeezed!:eek: :eek: Now I could be really grose here...but I won't, all I'll say is there was sh*t splattered all over the ceiling!:eek: Days passed and I still couldn't walk, my entire thigh still bruised. I finally went to the doc, and he informed me that it looked like brown recluse bite. He said I should have come in earlier, but that it was a good thing my mom popped it. He said if I had let it go it would've eaten my leg tissue, like seen in the pictures. It took about 5 years for the bruising and discoloration to finally fade.

Thanks alot dennie for making me remeber this. I feel faint right now just remebering the pain!

Vayu Son

Old Timer
><

Hi, that guy is retarded. Of course necrosis is going to spread if you dont get it treated... Thankfully, treatment is obtainable at any local pharmacy, though it is not known by many.

Here is a snip from email with Dr.Breene

What is that treatment for recluse venom?

Nitroglycerin patches 0.1 mg/hr. I've found no failures for MDs trying it in 18 years. Most MDs ignore the treatment because it's not scientifically demonstrated, but then, since you need humans, injectable venom, and a control group not receiving the treatment, I doubt it ever will be medically proven.
It's one of the many things MDs do use to treat patients because it works, even though not clinically proven.

BTW, calcium gluconate is the treatment that alleviate the symptoms of widow bites.

RG Breene

-V

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Yea, that looks like painshop.

I'd hit a site a few months ago that had pics of BR bite in all kind of body parts. They were A LOT WORSE!!! I cant remember the link (Dint want THAT in "My favorites") but most probably someone will have it....