Brown Boxing Defined/Importation Process

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
I have been asked recently several questions via text,PM, or phone conversations about, "Brown boxing" and if I could post a new discussion even though there is previous threads on the topic. First of all, the term simply refers to any item recieved that is suppose to go through legal customs via the exportation process and does not. This does not mean the item has to be in a brown box as I had to explain to one individual. It can be shipped in any container and is still considered "Brown boxed" or received with out proper paper work.

The process of importation, simplified, takes the communication of buyer and seller to determine what is exactly agreed on and then the paper work starts on the exporters end with air way bill, ivoice, and packing list. On the importers end a broker is often used to aid in clear communication with Fish and wild life/customs to make sure all paper work is there and items are being checked and i.d. appropriately. After many days of preparations the actual shipping process takes one day, is recieved the next day, and then is hopefully cleared quickly and ready to go home that same day of arrival. In my case the legal importation goes from Europe to LAX.

The question I was asked specifically related to this was, "why would it take so long to receive my item from a "import" and why would the weather matter if it would get to the location in 1 day."

My answer is that at times it can be very cold over seas and a seller may want to wait until the temperatures pick up a bit. However, I have recieved imports, like this last one, that was shipped in very cold temperatures and as long as the seller knows what they are doing, packs appropriately using heat packs, the results were and are healthy happy tarantulas recieved. The point is no import process should take weeks in shipment transit and a buyer should immediately question this. When you see reviews that individuals post that they were shocked that a pack took several weeks to arrive (unless pack was lost) typically the only conclusion is the package came in illegally and happened to not get seized at customs. If a tarantula does arrive after weeks in transit and happens to be o.k., I often ponder what about a few weeks down the road or a month later, molt later,..... are there effects?

From my understanding there was a recent CITES confrence in Mexico and illegal importation was discussed. It was stated new laws for illegal shipments received would no longer be a slap on the wrist, but serious consequences would result similar to drug trafficking charges. I welcome and look foward to anyone who was at the confrence to add information or opinion.

I will conclude by quoting my last response I sent via text to a recent hobbiest, "I am just calling it the way I see it and to each their own risk. I am not willing as things run much smoother legally."

Last edited:

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I often hear from hobbiest that it's ok if you are only getting a few spiders for personal use. This is misleading info that sets buyers up for trouble. I met with Fish and Wildlife this week actually and this was a topic that was discussed. Ultimately it is up to Fish and wildlife to decide if they feel it's a commercial import or not. These spiders still need to be declared with Fish and Wildlife ( not just sent FedEx to your house) and you are likely going to have a hard time convincing them its non commercial. Non commercial also mean the spider may NEVER be traded, sold or most importantly bred. Any of those activities are considered commercial in the eyes of F&W.

Later, Tom

sschind

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I often hear from hobbiest that it's ok if you are only getting a few spiders for personal use. This is misleading info that sets buyers up for trouble. I met with Fish and Wildlife this week actually and this was a topic that was discussed. Ultimately it is up to Fish and wildlife to decide if they feel it's a commercial import or not. These spiders still need to be declared with Fish and Wildlife ( not just sent FedEx to your house) and you are likely going to have a hard time convincing them its non commercial. Non commercial also mean the spider may NEVER be traded, sold or most importantly bred. Any of those activities are considered commercial in the eyes of F&W.

Later, Tom
It is my understanding that the only thing the "for personal use" exempts is the need for the import license. The spiders must still be declared as you said. They still need to be shipped to a proper airport via the proper method (air cargo if I am not mistaken) and inspected and cleared by customs. You can't just have the seller ship a box of spiders to a customs agent via fed ex. Its this declaration and inspection and shipping that is the expensive part. The import license is probably the easiest and least expensive part of the process.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Yikes. This actually makes me pretty nervous. I only have a modest-sized collection and I don't breed them myself, but I have sold my MMs for breeding.

And if my interpretation of what I have researched is correct, in my state you need to go through cumbersome applications and fees to bring any T whatsoever into the state. Which is something that I definitely haven't been doing when ordering from online vendors.

I really need to move.

TheDarkLordOfMuffins

Arachnopeon
57\54
4501.0ZxCVVF FCX
Yikes. This actually makes me pretty nervous. I only have a modest-sized collection and I don't breed them myself, but I have sold my MMs for breeding.

And if my interpretation of what I have researched is correct, in my state you need to go through cumbersome applications and fees to bring any T whatsoever into the state. Which is something that I definitely haven't been doing when ordering from online vendors.

I really need to move.
do you live in florida per chance? And if it is a reputable online seller I personally wouldn't worry too much

JoeRossi

Arachnohumbled
Arachnosupporter +
57\54
4501.0ZxCVVF FCX

do you live in florida per chance? And if it is a reputable online seller I personally wouldn't worry too much

His post is from July 2018 and he has not been active since Jan of this year so I don't know if you will get your desired response. However, if you simply cursor over his name it will show he is from Florida underneath his avatar and AB name "Flordia,USA".

TheDarkLordOfMuffins

Arachnopeon
His post is from July 2018 and he has not been active since Jan of this year so I don't know if you will get your desired response. However, if you simply cursor over his name it will show he is from Florida underneath his avatar and AB name "Flordia,USA".
sorry haha i literally joined the forum a few days ago on a recommendation by some keepers so i am still getting used to the UI