Brought home my first Tarantula today! A. Metallica, pics inside!

johnathandarby

Arachnopeon
Here is my first spider! He is about 3-4 inches long, not sure what gender or how to tell what gender he is? His name is Eliot!
He's already eaten a cricket and I just brought him home this afternoon! He's not shy at all, he hasn't gone and hid behind anything in his tank yet!

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Nice T.. but I think you have the wrong tank set-up.. A. Metallica's are Arboreal T's..

johnathandarby

Arachnopeon
Is this better?
I can go get some more plants tomorrow so there is something hanging from the top for him to climb on. Do you have any suggestions?

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Don't go too big with the tank, an enclosure like a 2.5 gallon tank should be more than enough, its 6" wide 8" high and 12" standing on its end. I have alot of avis and anything from 1"-1.75" is in a small medicine vial, 1.75" and up to 2.5" is in a small KK, once the get bigger they go into a 2.5 gal tank or a large KK.

Avis usually construct a tube web and spend alot of time in it unless they come out for food and water (always supply a water bowl, they will use it), therefore they do not need alot of room.

Use that beautiful enclosure for another purpose and not an avi. I know avis{D

PIG-

SuperRad

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Duh...

For a second there I thought that speaker and owl were INSIDE the enclosure!:confused:

Had to look at that one a couple times before I figured it out. :8o

aracnochicken

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
well I don't feel so bad now , I also thought the speaker and owl were inside the cage as well . Thought maybe you were playing some easy listening for the little guy. :?