Broken stinger?

Livy

Arachnopeon
I just got this scorpion a couple of days ago(6 days) and noticed she isn’t eating the person told me that she should be feed every 5-7 days. Is that correct. I don’t trust a lot of the info I found online. The end of her tail looks broken or is that the way it should look? It just looked wrong any information about Heterometrus spinifer (Asian forest) is helpful as I couldn’t find much online. upload_2019-6-25_20-22-1.jpeg

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
I just got this scorpion a couple of days ago(6 days) and noticed she isn’t eating the person told me that she should be feed every 5-7 days. Is that correct. I don’t trust a lot of the info I found online. The end of her tail looks broken or is that the way it should look? It just looked wrong any information about Heterometrus spinifer (Asian forest) is helpful as I couldn’t find much online. View attachment 312855
I can't really tell from that picture if there is anything wrong.

But what I can tell you is that that is where their anus is located (as weird as that is). Every 5 days is a bit much, especially if it is already a plump specimen. Some of my Scorpions I am purposely feeding them very sparingly (like once a month or less) and they are still looking chunky.

Can you post a few more images of the Scorpion, the Telson, and the Enclosure?

Livy

Arachnopeon
I can't really tell from that picture if there is anything wrong.

But what I can tell you is that that is where their anus is located (as weird as that is). Every 5 days is a bit much, especially if it is already a plump specimen. Some of my Scorpions I am purposely feeding them very sparingly (like once a month or less) and they are still looking chunky.

Can you post a few more images of the Scorpion, the Telson, and the Enclosure?
Yes upload_2019-6-25_21-6-44.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_21-7-7.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_21-7-24.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_21-9-31.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_21-9-46.jpeg upload_2019-6-25_21-10-5.jpeg
I’ve never picked her up by her stinger like I’ve seen some people do. To take a better photo (the first one) I gently coaxed her on to my hand.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +

Livy

Arachnopeon
It looks fine. It is due a molt in the upcoming weeks. It will become sluggish and cease feeding as the molt date gets closer.
Also about how long will it take until she molts and her exoskeleton hardens. Do you have any other advice about her enclosure or what I should feed her when she starts eating again.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
@Scorp510 Not sure what you disagree with or why, but what I said is correct.

Also about how long will it take until she molts and her exoskeleton hardens. Do you have any other advice about her enclosure or what I should feed her when she starts eating again.
The amount of time it takes to finally molt is different for each one. You will notice it continuing to swell and look like a balloon / sausage and becoming more lethargic. Eventually it will molt. When it does, at that size, I would wait around 2 weeks to try and feed it again to allow the new exoskeleton to harden. Make sure the substrate remains moist (not sopping) and keep the water dish full. It will need to replenish fluids; molting is an extremely taxing activity and it will be dehydrated.

When it is back on a regular schedule again, I would offer an adequate sized meal once a week or every other week. If it does not eat overnight, remove it and try again in a week. Eventually it will get hungry and grab the prey. Do not be surprised if it is a poor eater, or only accepts certain prey like crickets. Heterometrus spp. and Pandinus spp. are a bit infamous for their annoying ability to be finicky eaters.

Also, I am not sure how deep the substrate is in that enclosure, but it appears to be one of those shallow Breeder style Kritter Keepers.
They require several inches of moist substrate (coco fiber, top soil) to burrow in and will not be as happy with only a shallow layer they can't excavate into.

Last edited:

Livy

Arachnopeon
@Scorp510 Not sure what you disagree with or why, but what I said is correct.

The amount of time it takes to finally molt is different for each one. You will notice it continuing to swell and look like a balloon / sausage and becoming more lethargic. Eventually it will molt. When it does, at that size, I would wait around 2 weeks to try and feed it again to allow the new exoskeleton to harden. Make sure the substrate remains moist (not sopping) and keep the water dish full. It will need to replenish fluids; molting is an extremely taxing activity and it will be dehydrated.

When it is back on a regular schedule again, I would offer an adequate sized meal once a week or every other week. If it does not eat overnight, remove it and try again in a week. Eventually it will get hungry and grab the prey. Do not be surprised if it is a poor eater, or only accepts certain prey like crickets. Heterometrus spp. and Pandinus spp. are a bit infamous for their annoying ability to be finicky eaters.

Also, I am not sure how deep the substrate is in that enclosure, but it appears to be one of those shallow Breeder style Kritter Keepers.
They require several inches of moist substrate (coco fiber, top soil) to burrow in and will not be as happy with only a shallow layer they can't excavate into.
The substrate is pretty deep at least four inches is that deep enough I have more room and can add more if it’s not.