Breeding Videos

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
Grammostola pulchripes mating, multiple engagements at once.
Sorry the glass wasn't cleaner, wasn't well-prepared, and I didn't take much time to edit. At least most of the action is right at the beginning, with a lot of standoffs in the middle. In the last two minutes you can see the male forced to retreat somewhat. The male used the cardboard ramp to enter but wouldn't use it to exit, even when pushed towards it. I replaced the ramp with a sock, pushed him onto sock, then pulled him out with the sock. Instead of retreating after a successful engagement, he engaged her a couple more times. She eventually went under a leaf, possibly to hide from him, since he wouldn't leave her enclosure.

Brachypelma albopilosum (curlyhair tarantulas) mating

We traded one of our male curlyhair tarantulas to a youth in Phoenix Arizona. This was the video we got back.

G. pulchripes was my first attempt to get tarantulas to mate. Feel free to offer tips, ask questions, or post other videos.

EricSJCA

Arachnopeon
Some of the drumming that preceded the G. pulchripes mating:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/drumming-videos.322318/#post-2956468

None of my three B. albopilosum ever drummed, but that might be because I didn't have any females of my own nearby. When I thought I had a female and put them together, one of the males guarded the hole where one of the males was staying. Not sure what his intentions were, but they never ended up meeting.