Breeding Scale of Difficulty

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I would like to get an idea of the difficulty involved with breeding the following species on a few key factors. The scale is 1 – 10, with 1 being the easiest and 10 being the most difficult overall.
There is no need to scale each factor individually, just one scale for all would be enough. I would just like to get an idea overall.
Example: if Avicularia avicularia require no preparation (cool down), are highly receptive to males and don't eat them, need no special care to produce their egg sac and look after it for the duration, then they would score a 1 on the difficulty scale.
I understand that they are all individuals, and can deviate from the norm, but I know that certain species are overall much easier to breed.

The species are:
Avicularia avicularia
Avicularia metallica
Caribena versicolor
Brachypelma albopilosum
Grammostola pulchripes

The factors that I would like taken into consideration are:
Preparation of both the male and female before introduction
Ease of introduction
Likelihood of male being killed
Preparation of female to encourage egg sac production
Female hatching egg sac herself

Thank you!

cold blood

Staff member
Those should all be good starters...I haven't paired versicolor though...but the rest pair pretty readily...males tend to survive when supervised.

I will say the easiest, fastest pairings were Nhandu and Psalmopeous.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Those should all be good starters.
Thank you. The reason I ask is to try to determine if I can do this on my own, or need my friends there. If they are all around the 1-2 score, then I think I might be able to do it on my own. Above that, I would want someone with more experience there to supervise me.

cold blood

Staff member
Thank you. The reason I ask is to try to determine if I can do this on my own, or need my friends there. If they are all around the 1-2 score, then I think I might be able to do it on my own. Above that, I would want someone with more experience there to supervise me.
You should be fine with any of the ones you listed.

Thistles

Arachnobroad
Old Timer
Those are all 1-3 probably. Albos need a little watching to protect the male, but the girls don't try too hard to get the boys. You'll do fine! Good luck!

As CB says, Psalmos are the easiest in my experience, and nothing's easier than an OBT.