Breeding Pandinus imperator

Spam010

Arachnosquire
So I want to start breeding my female P. imperator, I want to start learning how to breed scorpions. From what I've read these species are easy to breed. I have yet to find a male P. imperator :wall: but still looking lol I just want some advice to all who have bred them before,

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
So I want to start breeding my female P. imperator, I want to start learning how to breed scorpions. From what I've read these species are easy to breed. I have yet to find a male P. imperator :wall: but still looking lol I just want some advice to all who have bred them before,

Well, there is a lot of information about emperors on this board and on other sites. Just look around.

You can keep the emperors communally or keep them seperate and introduce the male when you think he is ready. There are many things you can do to "stimulate" them to breed: fluctuating temperature, irregular feeding, etc.

When they do breed, the best thing to do is seperate the female. You will have to wait for quite some time before she gives birth, as emperors' gestation periods are very long. Seperating the female enables you to collect young (after they have molted into 2nd instar and have left the mother's back) more easily. Make sure that you minimize the "stress level" for her or she may cannabalize her young or refuse food. If you do not seperate her, cage mates can also eat the younger scorpions.

Feeding should be relatively easy. Emperor babies should be able to tackle crickets larger than themselves, as many scorpions are able tackle prey up to 150% their size. They should eat about once or twice a week.

One of THE MOST IMPORTANT things to remember is humidity. Emperor scorpion babies will need 90-100% humidity. It is good to mist at least once every day for this species. Misting in the late afternoon/early evening is the best time to mist, as the water does not evaporate as quickly. The babies probably will not need a large water dish, they should be able to drink from droplets on the side of the container after misting. It is also very important to have good ventilation, as this will prevent mold and mites. The babies could be raised communally, but should probably be seperated until they are near adult.

Feel free to ask any more questions if anything is unclear. Good luck!;):D

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
My question is this: Would I introduce more than one male (one at a time) to assure the female recepted well? Does anyone ever offer more than one mate if they copulate successfully the first time?

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
My question is this: Would I introduce more than one male (one at a time) to assure the female recepted well? Does anyone ever offer more than one mate if they copulate successfully the first time?
No. If they are gravid they will refuse the male's advances.

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
I thought so. I will tread carefully. I gave my female extra substrate and added a piece of flat slate.

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
I just introduced 2 different males (at different times) into my females house. They both tried to court her but she was violent to both. The males did their dance and tried but she was hateful in response to both. Should I retry in a week or so? I do not suspect she is already gravid.

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
She has a hide and full water dish as well? Those are important.
Absolutely. She has a really good deep hide she was able to excavate further by me adding extra dirt. 2 flat tiles, and a bowl large and deep enough to soak in. the room is about 80 and the substrate is never dry. im feeding them daily currently and they will accept food i'd say 5 out of the 7 offers. I have had them 2 months so I will maybe hold off and try in another month or two. Thanks for checking in!!!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Absolutely. She has a really good deep hide she was able to excavate further by me adding extra dirt. 2 flat tiles, and a bowl large and deep enough to soak in. the room is about 80 and the substrate is never dry. im feeding them daily currently and they will accept food i'd say 5 out of the 7 offers. I have had them 2 months so I will maybe hold off and try in another month or two. Thanks for checking in!!!
Try once a week as a general rule of thumb.

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
As of today her flower pot has been upgraded to a HUGE hollow cork... eating well in her new den as we speak. The males are really trying, she is just grumpy. I will continue to feed more. Thanks! I'll keep you posted!