Breeding pairs

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
I keep all my scorpions in separate enclosures but I now have a vacant tank that I want to setup specifically for breeding pairs. How long should a pair be housed together for mating before returning them to their individual enclosures? Also, is there a way to determine when a pair has mated?

(Any advice, any species)

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
A tank just for breeding wouldnt be the best recommendation. Best way is to introduce a male into the females enclosure( as long as shes had plenty of time to leave her scent allover) provide a nice big flat rock for the male to deposit his sperm and watch the magic happen ! Best way to see it and know it all went down for ya

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Ok thanks, so the mating ritual should begin shortly after introducing them?... like what kind of time frame am I looking at for supervising this event?

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Ok thanks, so the mating ritual should begin shortly after introducing them?... like what kind of time frame am I looking at for supervising this event?
Your going to get all sorts if mixed answers theres no real time limit..ive paird 4 different sp togethet in the last month or 2 and they all did it differently... but all were done as scorpionluva said.. introducing the male to the females enclosure. Sometimes the male found the female within seconds. Others i didnt see pair for hours.... and theres no time frame that anybody can give you that says when theyl be done.. some of my couples were locked up for over 12 hours straight. 1 of my uroplectes was even a full 24 until i forced them apart.. my Parabuthus lasted about a whole 10 minutes lol

shutout2000

Arachnoknight
A tank just for breeding wouldnt be the best recommendation. Best way is to introduce a male into the females enclosure( as long as shes had plenty of time to leave her scent allover) provide a nice big flat rock for the male to deposit his sperm and watch the magic happen ! Best way to see it and know it all went down for ya
I know your supposed to add some sort of flat surface, do you think a board is ok though? Me and a buddy of mine were contemplating this a while back. Not sure how it would affect it.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
I dont see why not.. ive seen breeders toss scorps in a straight plastic tub with no substrate to mate in.. lol terrible

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Your going to get all sorts if mixed answers theres no real time limit..ive paird 4 different sp togethet in the last month or 2 and they all did it differently... but all were done as scorpionluva said.. introducing the male to the females enclosure. Sometimes the male found the female within seconds. Others i didnt see pair for hours.... and theres no time frame that anybody can give you that says when theyl be done.. some of my couples were locked up for over 12 hours straight. 1 of my uroplectes was even a full 24 until i forced them apart.. my Parabuthus lasted about a whole 10 minutes lol
Appreciate it. Yeah, never seen this happen in person so I'm not really sure what exactly to be looking for or how long to wait on it. But that works.

ArachnoDrew

Arachnoprince
Im fairly new also but in my 4 attempts i noticed when introducing the male.. if they were "horny"and ready to go, as soon as they caught scent of the female lol they would start to twitch and jerk as they walked around looking for her.. you will think your scorp is on crack for a second lol.. once he finds her he will wag his tail around while trying to lock claws with her... then he'll drag her over to the flat surface..... if you have FB i have videos of it all lol

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I usually put on "this love" from pantera
Soft soothing song with spurts of hardcore aggressive metal
Never know which type she'll like better lol
Certain species like parabuthus schlecteri if you dont intervene after the male breaks away .... she'll hunt him down IMG00112-20150516-2053.jpg
Cuz breaking up is hard to do.......
When she wants to eat him

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
I know your supposed to add some sort of flat surface, do you think a board is ok though? Me and a buddy of mine were contemplating this a while back. Not sure how it would affect it.
A board may not be the best option due to it being treated with chemicals or if its laminated or plywood then it will contain glues which wouldnt be good ime
But a piece of sandstone or slate from outside after boiled and/or baked is cheap and works great

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you're lucky you may be able to see part of the spermatophore attached to the flat surface. I found one from my Orthochirus a few years ago when I had them together. Haven't seen them from any other species yet, but so it goes :)

FatherOfScorpions

Arachnoknight
Very helpful. One more question... how long after giving birth to a brood can a female be ready to mate again?

drapion

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Right away. Ive had many Centruroides mate with broods on their backs. But if the female is in an enclosure alone, i wait to introduce the male until the young have left her back