Breeding Loan

Elapid

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wow. i'm pretty disappointed. i just got back a spider i sent out on breeding loan and it looks like hell. thin and weak, of course he wouldn't breed! he walked straight to the water dish and stuck his face in for about 3 minutes, took a walk around the cage, then went back to the water. he hasn't left the water dish in the last 15 minutes since i put him back in his cage, and looks and acts like it was never fed or watered during the loan period. i'm not really concerned so much that he's missing a leg and most of his hair, but the malnutrition and dehydration??? that's not right.

:confused:

lucanidae

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hate to say it, but it's probably in part due to this rumor on the boards that no mature males eat. Everyone should at least attempt to feed their males! Food is energy that they can put towards breeding. I haven't had a single mature male out of at least 50 that wouldn't take a cricket or two every so often, and some that ate normally. The dehydration could be a normal side effect of shipping in winter though.

WyvernsLair

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
from my own experience with my mature male ... matured in June. Passed away 2 weeks ago. He ate very well up until January. Once they get the tremors in the legs and start having problems walking, they go down hill fast and he didn't have the coordination or desire to try to catch food. Also, he had been pristine until near the end.. the constant stumbling and such.. he went bald pretty quick from that.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
I hate to say it, but it's probably in part due to this rumor on the boards that no mature males eat. Everyone should at least attempt to feed their males! Food is energy that they can put towards breeding. I haven't had a single mature male out of at least 50 that wouldn't take a cricket or two every so often, and some that ate normally. The dehydration could be a normal side effect of shipping in winter though.
Agreed. I have a mature male G. aureostriata who refused food for about 4 months after his maturing molt, but I kept offering it to him when I fed my other spiders and eventually he started again. Now he eats well and he is quite plump and healthy looking for a mature male, 8 months after maturing. It's sad to think that some males may get starved because they aren't expected to have an appetite.

bluegootty

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
mine opion

im agree with both side .. however, i do have mine point of view... some peeps might just use the male as a mating tool and when they're done..watsoever... but there r time when the male mature and they're more intersest in mating than foods... but as a breeder.. we all should make sure that both sex have good meal to maximize the breed process...but honestly.. you should b happy, because most of the case ... male are DEAD....

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have had several avis mature, and they all eat, not as often as b4, but they do eat. I also have loaned out males and have them returned looking like hell with nothing to show for it.

Now, I only loan out males to friends, or I buy a female for my MM. Some just go unmated do to lack of females.

IMO there is no sense in putting your male through hell and then have nothing in return. I'd rather have him live out his life in the lap of luxury then have someone abuse him.

PIG-

bluefrogtat2

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
on a loan

i have sent out a ton of males in the last few years,to be honest ihave never asked for one back.i just figure if they make it great pass them on.i figure there lifespan is limited at that point and let them do what was intended,breed breed breed
andy

omni

Arachnobaron
I feed my MM rosea 1 or 2 roaches every 2-3wks, he always eats them. He's starting to slow down now, and last week it was 18 days since last feeding. I popped a roach in, he snagged it up pretty quick and the next day he was cruising around like he used to and made another web.

Rochelle

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Regardless of whether or not a MM is accepting food; he still needs available water.
This MM sounds severely dehydrated.
One has to wonder how lack of necessary water can NOT affect whether or not breeding is successful.
:? :?