breeding garden snails, help please

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Once they lay eggs and they hatch you'll know it, give it time. Before you know it you'll have more than you can think of.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm curious, just what specie do you have? So many people call different kinds "garden snails". I looked into raising snails many years ago. You have a pic? If it has a striped shell, it might be Cepaea nemoralis. That and some others are edible. Never know, maybe it will start looking tasty some day, hehe.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
sorry, should have mention, next door neighbour found another 4 for me and later that day got another 1 so i have 6 all up. I'm in australia so i think they are Helix aspersa.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
also could it be to cold/dry? they seem to spend all their time sealed off with that dry mucus.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
also could it be to cold/dry? they seem to spend all their time sealed off with that dry mucus.
possibly,my snails almost always seal themselves up when it gets alittle dry in their enclosure,just keep it alittle more moist,that's what i do with mine and they are all over the place,also being too cold could also be another factor.

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
i know that,i was answering to his post,when he already got bunch more.
ok, somehow when i read the thread , he said he had one then you posted then when i questioned he said someone gave him more lol its gotten thrown out of order lol

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
no eggs yet but putting them on heat in a couple of days when my heat cord arrives

ScienceDvia

Arachnopeon
snails

Snails are hermaphrodites, so they can breed with any other snail. Go looking for some more snails, but remember, when they breed, they BOTH lay eggs. My experience with snail babies is that most of them die because the crawl too far away from the food. So, if you do get babies, keep scraping them back to the food. Favorite foods are leave lettuce and cucumbers. In my garden snails/slugs have eaten tomatoes, peppers and carnations to the ground over night. but the lettuce works wonders. I have used this in my classroom year after year and my students get the snails to eat out of their hands. If you want a snail to come out of its shell, spray it with a little distilled water. It will usually come out.

Any questions, please contact me.

ScienceDiva