breeding garden snails, help please

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
just wondering if anyone can tell me how to breed garden snails?

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
my one and only tip:

they eat olive oil, it doesn't contain them

my brother and sister-in-law use copper strips (pounded flat copper pipe) to contain them out of their garden

Drachenjager

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
just wondering if anyone can tell me how to breed garden snails?
Just me , but id let another snail do that....

Seroiusly tho, put them in a container, add black and white news paper , mist the news paper to keep it damp , and wait and you will have baby snails... its pretty easy. OR you could feed them some greens lol but they will thrive on the black and white news paper. Soy ink is good for you...if your a snail or earth worm

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
i just found a lone snail, can i keep it on peat moss? what is the best food?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it can be kept on any moist substrate,soil,peatmoss etc. as for feeding any fruit,veggie,dogfood,you name it they will eat it.

Darwinsdad

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You could try planting a garden. Those and slugs breed like mad in my garden.

Black Widow88

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
You know I've never even knew/heard that snails eat moist news paper. I thought all the ink and stuff would harm them. But this is *speechless* WOW! :eek:

Black Widow88

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
where do they lay their eggs? How long till i see baby snails?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've kept mine on soil misting each day to keep it moist. They must have a cuttlebone in the tank to keep their shells strong. They eat a wide variety of things like romaine lettuce, dog or cat kibble, bananas, strawberries, watermelon, apples, carrots, peaches, and so on.

They dig little holes in the soil and lay there eggs under the substrate. You will know their eggs because they will be round, and in bunches.

They will breed forever it would seem and the little snails grow quick in captivity.

The sides of the tank will have alot of slime though so you'll need to scrub it often with mabye a sponge.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks, yea i have cuttle bone in the tub for them, how long till they start laying if they are sexually mature?

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I found some in winter and brought them inside, they started mating immedietly. I would assume after a heaving misting, lots of food, and it being warm they would emerge and mate, eggs followed about 2 weeks after for me.

If the enclosure is not that moist, (but make sure its not bone dry) and then suddenly you mist it alot it will simulate a heavy rain.

Thats the only way I can explain it.

This is a topic I made a long time ago about the snails I bred. I released them back a year after capture and their offspring were in my garden soon after. I think they ate eggs of other snails though.

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=69371

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
heh, with me i don't do anything they just breed like crazy,and babies everywhere{D yes cuttlebone and alot of food they go nuts

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
thanks guys, watered them last night so that got them nice and moist. Will let you know if and when i get results.

lychas

Arachnolord
Old Timer
still no signs of eggs, its only been a bit over a week, anything i may be doing wrong?

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
no don't worry,your doing everything right just alittle patience,trust me it will happen:)