Breeding enclosure, 3 housing units

west0n

Arachnopeon
I couldn't find anyone to build a custom enclosure that i wanted, so i gave it a shot myself. THe reason behind building it the way i did, is that my Female P.Metallica is a huge (7.5"-8") angry, b!*t<h, and i don't like handling her. My male is housed in the center and the females on either side. All i have to do is slide the door up and the male can go into the female's enclosure for some humping, or run away scared back into his hide away from the angry female beast.

This is my first enclosure, i know it's not perfect, so don't flame me too bad.
It is made out of acrylic. I did my best to calculate all the measurements, and had it pre cut. I mis calculated 3 pieces and had to cut em down more, but the rest were ready for polishing the edges.

Instead of latches, i used magnets that are imbedded into acrylic.

I have a humidifier under the cabinet and plumbed it into all 3 enclosures. I also put a low amp heater (safe for plastic) taped across the back. Both are automatically controlled.
Photo-0027.jpg Photo-0028.jpg Photo-0029.jpg Photo-0030.jpg Photo-0031.jpg

catfishrod69

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
very nice looking...although i would ditch the light, and those doors do open seperately right?

west0n

Arachnopeon
The room doesn't get much natural light, That one is just temporary until i do something better.

Yes all 3 doors open separately.

Zman181

Arachnoknight
I couldn't find anyone to build a custom enclosure that i wanted, so i gave it a shot myself. THe reason behind building it the way i did, is that my Female P.Metallica is a huge (7.5"-8") angry, b!*t<h, and i don't like handling her. My male is housed in the center and the females on either side. All i have to do is slide the door up and the male can go into the female's enclosure for some humping, or run away scared back into his hide away from the angry female beast.

This is my first enclosure, i know it's not perfect, so don't flame me too bad.
It is made out of acrylic. I did my best to calculate all the measurements, and had it pre cut. I mis calculated 3 pieces and had to cut em down more, but the rest were ready for polishing the edges.

Instead of latches, i used magnets that are imbedded into acrylic.

I have a humidifier under the cabinet and plumbed it into all 3 enclosures. I also put a low amp heater (safe for plastic) taped across the back. Both are automatically controlled.
View attachment 95666 View attachment 95667 View attachment 95668 View attachment 95669 View attachment 95670
I love it :)
Looks beautiful.

sweetypie

Arachnoknight
Super job, and very functional too!
Good luck on the Poecilotheria project!

zonbonzovi

Creeping beneath you
Old Timer
Well done, sir. Acrylic is not easy to work with without good tooling. You must have good blades & tons of patience?

west0n

Arachnopeon
Well done, sir. Acrylic is not easy to work with without good tooling. You must have good blades & tons of patience?
most of the cutting was done for me. the acrylic supplier also did the rough cuts for me. i used my belt sander to smooth the rough parts and hand sanded the untill nice and smooth

ArachnidSentinl

Arachnoknight
That's quite impressive! Are the "trap doors" latched in any away or are they merely held down by gravity and/or the light?

SgtSparkles

Arachnosquire
wowzer. had a similar idea but no need at this time nor the skill to execute it. great work man

Kungfujoe

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Does this effect how the T's interact together, agression and what not?

CoSpiderGuy

Arachnopeon
Very nice, I have a 7x7x5 3 arboreal sling enclosure that looks like a smaller version, without the interconnecting doors.

Life is too short to be anything but happy
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

west0n

Arachnopeon
Does this effect how the T's interact together, agression and what not?
i do have vents between the enclosures(mainly for circulation) and i did notice the males tapping on/near them. other than that, they don't notice one another.

THe one thing i don't like is the acrylic hinges!!! the stupid things squeek like a rusty door!! i even lubricated them. every time i open the door, it startles every T i have in there.

---------- Post added 12-13-2011 at 01:31 PM ----------

That's quite impressive! Are the "trap doors" latched in any away or are they merely held down by gravity and/or the light?
gravity is more than enough to hold the doors down, but the light on top of em is just insurance