Breeding B. Smithi

chill1n06

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone this is my very first thread on here. I just recently got my first T and now I have 14! Anyways I am thinking about breeding my 2 B Smithi but I am wondering if my male is mature enough. He is about 5 inches but not sure exactly how old he is or when he last moulted. What should I look for with him? What are some tell tale signs that I need to look for prior to pairing? Any suggestions would be great! The pic is of the female I dont have a good picture of the male as of yet will update when I get one

Attachments

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Try not to take offense to this, but if you don't even know how to tell if a specimen is a mature male, then you should not be thinking about breeding.

Are you prepared to care for or sell off hundreds of tiny slings?

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
B.smithi is now B.hamorii, a rather important detail if you plan on breeding this species and avoiding future issues with mislabeled spiders.

Your going to want to fatten up your female before breeding, she looks pretty slim. Try and ensure she is recently molted as well, the male will be ready to breed after his final molt. MMs are best distinguished by their emboli.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
If a males not mature, it can't breed. ;)

When mature, look for tibial hooks and bulbous pedipalps. It'll be quite skinnier and leggier too.

Red Eunice

Arachnodemon
Has the male:
1) Developed tibial spurs?
2) Swollen emboli?
3) Produced sperm webs?
4) Been constantly moving/climbing about its enclosure?
5) Refusing to eat?
If YES to all the above, he's mature and ready to mate.

The big questions are:
1) Are you ready and capable of taking care of ALL the slings?
1a) Its no easy task! A very time consuming ritual.
2) Have a plan set in place to sell/trade the slings once they're 2i?
Just something you need to consider prior to a breeding project. ;)
As previously stated, feed the female heavily, before introducing the male in her enclosure. She may/may not be receptive to mate. I understand, in captivity, hamorii are difficult to breed. At least from postings I've read on here and other forums.
I wish you good luck!

chill1n06

Arachnopeon
No offense taken kind sir, I am new to the hobby and this is a great place for information. I may be getting ahead of myself here as far as breeding and such goes but where I am in the northeast there is a very limited supply of T's and I would like to start breeding and supplying to some of the reputable places up here. Not Petco or anything like that but specialty shops. But please excuse my ignorance as I am still learning I have had T's for about a month or so started with a nice A. Geniculata and now have 14 ranging from slings to adults. B. Hamori is my favorite next to my Avics and I think that in the near future these are going to be my first 2 projects as far as breeding goes and I will go from there hopefully trade off some slings for some different species and just keep expanding from there.

miss moxie

Arachnoprince
You want to breed your Ts already, and acquired 14 tarantulas in one month?

Yes, I'd say you're definitely getting ahead of yourself, not -may- be getting ahead of yourself.

Breeding is easier said than done. Do you know when your female molted last? Because you could breed her, and then she could molt out. You should start reading up on tarantula anatomy and tarantula breeding before you attempt breeding. To do otherwise would effectively be putting the cart before the horse.

Poec54

Arachnoemperor
B smithi is notoriously difficult to breed, which is why after 50 years in the hobby it's still pricey.

sasker

Arachnoprince
but I am wondering if my male is mature enough
Recognizing if a tarantula is an adult male is among the most basic skills of a tarantula keeper and sort of general knowledge. By the way, how are you so sure that your male B. hamorii is in fact a male? Did you sex its exuvia? Your alleged male is rather large. My B. emilia was much smaller when he reached his ultimate molt.

There are plenty of websites and threats on sexing tarantulas. Google will give you all the information you need.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Has the male:
1) Developed tibial spurs?
2) Swollen emboli?
3) Produced sperm webs?
4) Been constantly moving/climbing about its enclosure?
5) Refusing to eat?
If YES to all the above, he's mature and ready to mate.
Not all species develop tibial spurs.
They will all have boxing gloves.
They all will produce sperm webs though sometimes you might not see them as they will tear them down when they are done.
I have two that don't roam restlessly and both are mature.
They also both eat rather well and so do the other 3 males I've paired. So far only one of my MM has refused food before he was shipped off.

All of these things can happen but they all might not (or can't) happen depending on the species/behavior.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Hey everyone this is my very first thread on here. I just recently got my first T and now I have 14! Anyways I am thinking about breeding my 2 B Smithi but I am wondering if my male is mature enough. He is about 5 inches but not sure exactly how old he is or when he last moulted. What should I look for with him? What are some tell tale signs that I need to look for prior to pairing? Any suggestions would be great! The pic is of the female I dont have a good picture of the male as of yet will update when I get one
Like others have said, you really need to do some learning before worrying about moving on to breeding. You need to know the basics before trying to go all in on breeding. Good luck.

chill1n06

Arachnopeon
You want to breed your Ts already, and acquired 14 tarantulas in one month?

Yes, I'd say you're definitely getting ahead of yourself, not -may- be getting ahead of yourself.

Breeding is easier said than done. Do you know when your female molted last? Because you could breed her, and then she could molt out. You should start reading up on tarantula anatomy and tarantula breeding before you attempt breeding. To do otherwise would effectively be putting the cart before the horse.
This is why I am reaching out yea I kinda grabbed the string and ran with it. This isn't something I am looking to do tomorrow but I want to start gathering info and putting together a good profile as far as she goes. I don't know anything about her as far as age or anything. The guy I got her from got her from someone else so who really knows. She has been eating very well and has yet to refuse food. she seems healthy in appearance. But really trying to gather any and all info I am online daily looking up how to and what not and of course posting on here to get good information before I attempt anything

chill1n06

Arachnopeon
Recognizing if a tarantula is an adult male is among the most basic skills of a tarantula keeper and sort of general knowledge. By the way, how are you so sure that your male B. hamorii is in fact a male? Did you sex its exuvia? Your alleged male is rather large. My B. emilia was much smaller when he reached his ultimate molt.

There are plenty of websites and threats on sexing tarantulas. Google will give you all the information you need.
I purchased my male through a reputable source and had many males to choose from he is the largest. However the spider guy had the day off and it is a long drive for me to go there so I wasn't able to ask all these questions. I am looking to gather information as much as I possibly can this is a long term idea not something I am doing next week or even next month. I want to be 100% before I attempt any mating what so ever

PidderPeets

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter +
Are these pictures of the male? If so, he's definitely not mature yet. When he matures, his pedipalps (the "legs" that are closest to his fangs) will develop big blunt tips and will be very clearly different from how they are now and how the female's will be