1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Breed suggestions and Locations

Discussion in 'Tarantula Questions & Discussions' started by TheTOwner, Jul 18, 2018.

1. TheTOwner

TheTOwner Arachnopeon Active Member

Advertisement
    Hi guys, I need breed suggestions! I would really like a big and fast eater, such as the Brazilian Black which I've had my eyes on. Since Im using a 10 gallon, I feel like I could fit a medium to large sized spider. Nothing like a Goliath bird eater but something big and docile would be nice. Just to repeat the thing I said above, I'd like for them to be frequent eater however if not, that would be fine. I would also primarily be getting an older/adult spider. Not too old though, something like 3 years where they are a comfortable size. Currently though, I'm leaning to Brazilian Blacks

The second reason is, I don't know where to buy tarantulas! I live in the uk so I think online would be a much better choice but I am also living around the London area so if anyone knows websites or shops, that'd be extremely helpful!

Disclaimer: I haven't had any tarantulas before, and this will be my first one. If you read this on Reddit, you'd know Im UnconsentiusEgo

2. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking

You will be looking for suggestions of species, not breeds.

Grammostola pulchra (Brazilian Black) is a great beginner species but is a slow grower and doesn’t have a great appetite.

From what you have mentioned, I will suggest Acanthoscurria geniculata. These are large, fast growing, eating machines.

There are many online vendors in the UK but the rules do not allow them to be mentioned here.

Send me a private message and I will suggest some options for you.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
  3. Sinned

Sinned Arachnosquire

^ And here we see the (not so) elusive enabler/dealer moving in for the kill. It stalks it's victim with helpful comments, before releasing it's terrifying addictive T'keeping hobby upon it's hapless prey.

;)

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Love Love x 1
  4. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking

FYI he inboxed me for many suggestions and my services were not mentioned on the list.

However, If he sees this then he can feel free to ask what I have available :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. TheTOwner

Hi, how do I DM you?

6. KezyGLA

KezyGLA Arachnoking

You already did ahah. Check your inbox ;)

• Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  7. Sinned

Sinned Arachnosquire

I should note, for clarity & fairness, @TheTOwner , @KezyGLA is an experienced keeper (and breeder even?) and I was just having a bit of fun (at his expense).

I own G. pulchra (Brazilian Black) slings myself, they molted 2-3 times in the 8 months I had them, but that will slow down sooner rather then later. As juv/adults they can take forever to grow, from what I have read. Also, everyone wants one ... so expect an expensive T (sling or otherwise).

A. geniculata fits your description, but they are a bit more "feisty" as everything that moves is food. This can startle a new keeper if they don't expect it :wideyed: Still, as a new keeper I did acquire one rather quickly and was very happy I did, I just love the little lady.

KezyGLA probably listed more then a few good beginner species, but I'm lazy so I'm just gonna leave this here :p

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
  8. TheTOwner

Thanls, that sounds good! I think Id also like something a bit more fiesty and fast so I guess Im crossing G pulcharas off the list. Thanks for advice!

9. Sana

Sana Arachnoprince Arachnosupporter

Keep in mind that tarantulas that eat a ton and grow fast are incredibly food motivated. The prey is food. The water dish might be food. The water could certainly be food right? Tongs look tasty. And even if it wasn’t food just a minute ago it might be food now so the tarantula just has to check. I love food motivated giant spiders. They are endlessly entertaining. If you can get yours at adult size to put more than 12 large crickets into its mouth at the same time you beat my current record. So much fun! They are startling though when they pounce everything and you aren’t used to it but still sooooo much fun!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheTOwner

Thanks! I also love watching videos of them and hope to own one!!

11. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Grammostola iheringi - Get to around 7", eat like tanks, grow fast, easy care, are a bit skittish though, by far my favourite from the genus.

Acanthoscurria geniculata - Get up to 8", ravenous murder tanks, easy care, think everything is food (long tongs are your friend)

Lasiodora parahybana/difficilis/klugi - Basically A. geniculata but not as pretty and with worse hairs IMO, they are stupidly cheap (even as adults) though.

Any Nhandu species - Decent sized (around 7" as adults), grow like weeds, eat like tanks, can have a bit of an attitude though.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Helpful Helpful x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. TheTOwner

Hmm, Acanthoscurria geniculata and Nhandus look good..

13. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnodemon Active Member

Iowa
    I'm hard on team N. chromatus. Basically a perfect toe-to-toe match on genic, but prettier imo ;)

Tell me your secrets; my 1-1 1/2 inch slings haven't molted for me in over a year now. :hurting:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nightstalker47

Nightstalker47 Arachnoking

Check your inbox mate. :cool:
    If it comes down to one or the other, chromatus gets my vote too. They are spectacular looking spiders, the coloration on them is quite unique..very few species out there that sport a solid white carapace.

AFs have lots of attitude though...much more skittish and defensive then any genic IME.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  15. The Grym Reaper

The Grym Reaper Arachnotank Arachnosupporter

Heresy! :pompous::troll:

• Love Love x 2
  16. TheTOwner

I like Acanthoscurria geniculata though, seems like my type of spidey.

17. Arachnophoric

Arachnophoric Arachnodemon Active Member

Iowa
    If that's what you want, go for it! Either way, great choice. :)

18. Sinned

Sinned Arachnosquire

I also really want one, they fit the bill ... feisty, feeding response and NW.

@Nightstalker47 that last pic, really love the velvet black it shows and how the molt(?) makes it look like there is another in the hide :p

This one looks pretty tanky like the A. genic ... but for some reason I always imagine them a bit more leggy. Misconception?

Last edited: Jul 18, 2018
    • Lollipop Lollipop x 1
  19. Razzledazzy

Razzledazzy Arachnosquire Active Member

Males tend to be a bit more leggy than females.

• Clarification Please Clarification Please x 1
  20. viper69

viper69 ArachnoGod Old Timer

There is no breed of tarantula, we can't help you.

• Funny Funny x 2