Brazilian Red Rump - Grammasola actaeon?

Paladin Exotics

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone, I just joined the forum today and I am pretty new to the hobby. I have 9 T's.
Today I purchased a T from Petco (please don't laugh) and it was advertised as a Brazilian Wooly Black Tarantula. After doing some digging I think I have identified it as a Brazilian Red Rump (due to its characteristic red rump) but I am not finding any online vendors with any for sale for me to reference prices.
I paid $100 USD for the juvie, its about 2-3 inches at this point. From what I have seen people mistake it for the B. vagans and G. iheringi quite commonly. Any thoughts? Thanks

Paladin Exotics

Arachnopeon
Do you think 100 bucks is reasonable for a specimen about 3" maybe?

20190413_232708.jpg 20190413_232736.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Do you think 100 bucks is reasonable for a specimen about 3" maybe?
I couldn't tell you tbh, could be a good price for over there but the vast majority of US prices are insane compared to ours, you can get a roughly 3" confirmed female for £50 here

Goopyguy56

Arachnoangel
I think I have seen slings for about 50 bucks so 100 bucks for a juvie isnt bad imo

AnitaTC

Arachnopeon
That's a great find. I went to a couple of sites I like to shop at and one is selling G. actaeon 1" slings for $45. I also have one that I bought a couple of years ago and whoa is it a fun one to have.

Paladin Exotics

Arachnopeon
Awesome. From what I have seen it is a lesser known species. Not rare by any means but not one on the average keepers list. It is a peppy little fella and I cant wait to see it mature into its adult colors. Fingers crossed for a female!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The last time that I saw a spiderling of this species available in Canada, they were $110cdn. I paid $90 for my spiderling a couple of years ago and ended up with a female. Awesome species.

Paladin Exotics

Arachnopeon
I'm gonna have to learn to sex them by the molts. The Petco manager said it molted within the last couple weeks so it will probably be a while before it molts again.

Paladin Exotics

Arachnopeon
Yeah they do look pretty similar. Is there any surefire way of telling them apart for sure? Today I was chatting with a breeder friend of mine with 2 adult G. actaeons and both still had their red rumps.

Arachnid Addicted

Arachnoprince
Yeah they do look pretty similar. Is there any surefire way of telling them apart for sure? Today I was chatting with a breeder friend of mine with 2 adult G. actaeons and both still had their red rumps.
Hi. I'm new here in the forum too, not in the hobby, though.

G. iheringi (Hobby form) and G. actaeon can be distinguished by their setae disposition all over its body. Also, in rarely cases G. actaeon can maintain the red coloration on their abdome, but this color became really dark, almost like a wine tonality.

Just in case, to not confuse these Grammostola spp. with any Brachypelma Red Rumper, you should know that ALL Grammostola have mirror patch, which is the spot on their abdomen with most urticanting setae.

Paladin Exotics

Arachnopeon
Thanks that's very helpful. I'm sure since it was from Petco that it was labeled correctly and that it is in fact a Brazilian wooly black or Brazilian red rump.