Braveheart

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
Today I received an Aphonopelma seemanni. She's a female sub-adult maybe 4"? I'm not sure just by eyeballing her and I don't dare try to measure her. I don't want to go near her enclosure right now.

I was going to name her Elvira, but have decided to instead call her Braveheart.

When I put new t's into their enclosures, I use a big tub to decrease the risk of an escapee and even then I still keep a "catch cup" around. Well, as soon as I lifted the tissue Braveheart practically shouted "FREEDOM!" and bolted up my arm and down the side of the tub. Now, I keep a strict policy of not handling my t's. I have no interest in holding them so this was not what I wanted. I thought I had no fears of them, but feeling those fuzzy legs going up my arm sent that terrifying feeling back into me!

Luckily it ended well as I was able to get her in a catch cup and put her in her enclosure. However, later when I went to check on her to check for illness or injury and make sure all was well, I opened the lid just lightly. She may as well have shouted "FREEDOM!" and bolted again. I quickly put the lid back down.

So far, my other T's have not been like this. Not even my GBB which are known to be bolty. He just hangs out in his web and waits for crickets. Yes, I researched and researched on each species before I get them. It still doesn't totally prepare you for what you get.

I'm not asking for advice. Just sharing what I think is a funny story. Welcome to the hobby, I guess?

Minty

@londontarantulas
As a Scotsman, I fully and wholeheartedly endorse your choice of name, haha. Welcome to the hobby! I have a Brachypelma kahlenbergi, that is also incredibly bolty.

Pictures of your tarantulas are always welcome.

Irisiridescent

Arachnopeon
As a Scotsman, I fully and wholeheartedly endorse your choice of name, haha. Welcome to the hobby! I have a Brachypelma kahlenbergi, that is also incredibly bolty.

Pictures of your tarantulas are always welcome.
Perhaps when she calms down a bit I'll get some pictures. Right now I wish to leave her alone lest she make another break for freedom.