1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brand new to the hobby, wanting to be prepared as well.

Discussion in 'Tarantula Chat' started by xAftrburnrx, Dec 13, 2017.

1. xAftrburnrx

xAftrburnrx Arachnopeon

Florida
    Advertisement
    So I've been stalking these forums for a bit, FINALLY made a account and wanted to make sure this was okay to post here, I've watched the hobby from afar for awhile because I wanted to do my research before ever getting a T, (I know, CRAZY these days right?) But I didn't want to stupidly purchase one, kill it and then feel bad. I've pinned down what kind of T I want for my first one so I chose to go with the Desert Blonde Tarantula, or the proper name for it the "Aphonopelma Chalcodes". I've watched tons of videos on youtube of basic feeding patterns, basic enclosures, basic temperatures and so on, BUT if someone here with professional or experienced explain the basics and everything I need to know about two T's including, (OBVIOUSLY the "Aphonopelma Chalcodes", or "Brachypelma Albopilosum") Hopefully you guys have some pointers and all around knowledge that can finally help me out, much of the stuff I've found online varies and isn't consistent, that's why I came here.

• Like Like x 4
  2. Andrea82

Andrea82 Arachnoking Active Member

3. Nada

Nada Arachnoknight

they're pretty much the same tarantula care wise.
    keep them on the dry side with a water bowl and a hide. and that's it. if you get a sling omit the water bowl, and just give it a little spray once a week. they're both fairly slow growers.
    the albop is more likely to kick hairs, and the chalcodes is more likely to hide.
    I'm personally very against handling tarantulas, but if you choose to handle occasionally these are good species for that
    get both.

4. Chris LXXIX

Chris LXXIX Arachnoemperor Active Member

I will help you with a detail of maximum importance :bookworm:

It's not Aphonopelma Chalcodes but Aphonopelma chalcodes

It's not Brachypelma Albopilosum but Brachypelma albopilosum

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Welcome! :) Glad you've done prior research and that you're continuing to do so here on the boards! I suggest lurking a little bit more, or whenever you have free time, cause this place is probably the best source of information. I've only owned tarantulas for a few months, but researched for a couple of years and continue to do so. I have both species so I'll give you some basic info on how I care for mine.

Aphonopelma chalcodes:
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    My 4" girl Aegis. I always keep her enclosure dry. I use dry substrate, a mix of Eco-Earth coco fiber and peat moss. I make sure her water dish is always full - I've actually caught her drinking a couple of times ;)

Mine is not as slow, calm, and docile as other A. chalcodes. She's a complete beast during feedings and always hungry. She'll run across the enclosure to jump at water droplets when I'm refilling her dish, haha. She can be really fast.

Oh, and she rarely uses her hide - she's mostly out in the open.

Brachypelma albopilosum (Nicaraguan):
    IMG_0058.JPG
    My 4.5" girl Lilah. Odd position since she's freshly molted and walking around a lot, haha. Same type of enclosure but with even more substrate. She LOVES to burrow and made herself a nice, deep tunnel. She loves digging in general. Her enclosure is mostly dry, though I overfill her water dish every couple of weeks. Don't go crazy with humidity like other care sheets suggest - in fact, don't listen to care sheets at all! They're usually no good.

I heard from others that they're usually out in the open (?) but mine has become kind of a pet hole! She burrowed against the wall though so I can fully see her and her tunnel system ;)

Hope this helps!

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  6. Goopyguy56

Goopyguy56 Arachnosquire

Ohio
    Those two species are pretty hardy. I think you would have stab them to kill them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. xAftrburnrx

xAftrburnrx Arachnopeon

Florida
    Thank you guys for the advice so far, now what are the basics when it comes to enclosures? How many inches should it be so the T can properly dig a hide.

8. cold blood

cold blood Moderator Staff Member

I'd say you want at least 3". Neither is the kind of burrower that digs elaborate tunnels, generally they may make a cavern and sit in it, or re-arrange things, and a min. of 3" allows for that.

But truthfully, it will really depend on the enclosure you select. If your enclosure is deeper, you will need to add a certain amount just to make it safe, in which case it would be much deeper. There really is no "too deep"...but if you need to add a ton of sub, there's probably a better alternative.

I think its best to keep things simple.

A hide, dry sub and a water dish. Keep the ground clutter limited, if its everywhere its just feeder hiding places.

9. I agree with @cold blood.

The distance between the surface of the substrate to the top of the enclosure is more important. Tarantulas will likely climb, and if they fall (which happens because terrestrials aren't the best climbers), it can be fatal if it's too high. About 1.5x their DLS is safe, for example, my 4 inch B. albo has about 5 inches of space between the substrate and the top of the enclosure.

As for burrowing - My A. chalcodes rarely digs, only an inch or two within her hide, but my B. albo did make a very deep tunnel/burrow, more elaborate than my A. seemani's! Apparently this isn't that common? I guess she's just extra shy ;)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Mirandarachnid

Mirandarachnid Arachnoknight Active Member

Texas
    I've never wanted to cuddle a T so badly!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Haha, I know right! She's sooooo fluffy!
    IMG_0052.JPG
    Look at all that (untouchable) fluff. :shy:

You should see her when she's redecorating... pedipalps full of substrate, making little piles here and there. She gathered a big round ball of substrate once to cover her hide - I mean, it was this legitimate round ball. So precious. :happy:

• Love Love x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. I have one of these arriving next week, very excited!

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  13. JonoAndHisTs

JonoAndHisTs Arachnopeon

My First Tarantula that I got was an A.Chalcodes, very chill guy he’s a male all he does is chill in his hide cus he’s in heavy pre molt. But yeah I got 6 Ts 2 or so weeks into the hobby