Brachypelma Vagans Molting: WORRIED

dangerforceidle

Arachnoangel
Doesn't quite have the same reddish tint on the setae of the opisthosoma as the Sericopelma generala example, in my opinion. My first thought was G. pulchripes, with the gold not really highlighted due to the lighting of the photo. Especially the most recent photo.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
She's still in her hide but she is now absolutely jet black. Haven't been able to see her backside yet as she appears to be resting and I don't want to disturb her.

The photos I posted were taken about a week ago...so maybe her hairs and colours were dull because she was getting ready to molt? I did notice a little bald spot but thought maybe that was normal. (Now I see it was a sign )

When she's rested and OK I'll get a photo of her new self!

By the way, her exo is at the bottom of her hide, behind her. I don't want to disturb her so it won't pose any hazard if I leave it in there with her until she comes out, right?

boina

Lady of the mites
Just leave the molt in with her that's no problem at all.

I don't think anyone can say what species she is from the pics you posted except that it's pretty certain she's not a vagans. Get a pic in her new dress whenever she's ready and post in the identification gallery.

Denbert

Arachnosquire
Yup. Just leave it be until the process is over. You should remove the exo after molting. Say, if you can pick her old skin after she molts without stressing her, do it. but if the molt is too hard to pick, you may wait until throws it out of her hide.

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
Yup. Just leave it be until the process is over. You should remove the exo after molting. Say, if you can pick her old skin after she molts without stressing her, do it. but if the molt is too hard to pick, you may wait until throws it out of her hide.
She's sitting 1/2 on top of it now in her hide. Should I lift the hide and scooch her off or just leave it until she's ready to come out?

I got a look at her backside now she's turned around. Jet black legs with bright coloured rusty hairs on her backside. She's soooo lovely!

Attachments

Denbert

Arachnosquire
She's sitting 1/2 on top of it now in her hide. Should I lift the hide and scooch her off or just leave it until she's ready to come out?

I got a look at her backside now she's turned around. Jet black legs with bright coloured rusty hairs on her backside. She's soooo lovely!
Leave it first. Pick it up when she's not on it anymore. The main thing is, don't stress her. Congrats on her successful molt!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
The front end of the moulting process is always the longest - with all the cool stuff happening right at the end. She looks like a B.vagans to me, now that she has moulted and her colouring is very vibrant. There is no danger to leaving her exuvia in with her. Let her bring it out herself as to not stress her out. She needs to recover - moulting is a tough gig.
Please don't feed her for two weeks to allow for her fangs to harden completely. Adults should be left for two weeks, less time for younger tarantulas.

ediblepain

Arachnosquire
Wow she is so pretty! Welcome to the addiction. She will stretch her legs in odd looking ways over the next week or so. It's totally normal.

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
Wow she is so pretty! Welcome to the addiction. She will stretch her legs in odd looking ways over the next week or so. It's totally normal.
Thanks.

She's been a total recluse the past few days. How long will she be hiding out for? She hasn't even come out for water I don't think.

Garth Vader

Arachnobaron
Thanks.

She's been a total recluse the past few days. How long will she be hiding out for? She hasn't even come out for water I don't think.
Imagine you ran a marathon and then traveled across the globe and how tired you'd be. I imagine Ts are even MORE tired then that after a molt. It is pretty normal for them to have little activity following a molt. Just make sure you let her chill, make sure there is water, and wait a bit until offering prey so her fangs can harden.

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
For a larger tarantula like yours, it could be a couple of weeks. I wouldn't worry; just make sure the water dish is full, as molting is thirsty work.

When her fangs are black, it is safe to feed her. (As they harden, the new fangs start out white, turn red, darken to a ruddy brown, and finally turn black.)

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
Longest one of mine has ever hidden after a molt was when my boy went Ultimate on me, and he was underground for 3 weeks before finally venturing topside. Keep the water dish full, and be patient. Tarantulas do things at their own speed. :)

Your girl is beautiful in her new colors.

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
So it's been a week and a half and she still hasn't come out, at least with me around. I know she's "ok" because she changes position in her hide and sometime last night she rolled up her molt Web mat and kicked it out of her hide. LOL!

Anyway I haven't been able to get a look at her fangs to see if they are black yet so how do I know when I can feed her? Thursday will be the 2 week mark so I probably wouldn't attempt before then but how do I know if they are hard at that point if I can't see them?

Gossamer

Arachnopeon
So it's been a week and a half and she still hasn't come out, at least with me around. I know she's "ok" because she changes position in her hide and sometime last night she rolled up her molt Web mat and kicked it out of her hide. LOL!

Anyway I haven't been able to get a look at her fangs to see if they are black yet so how do I know when I can feed her? Thursday will be the 2 week mark so I probably wouldn't attempt before then but how do I know if they are hard at that point if I can't see them?
I find that mine are more likely to come out of hiding when they're hungry, but 2 weeks should be plenty of time for the fangs to harden. Offer her some prey on Thurs and see if she'll take it. If not, try again in a couple of days.

I wouldn't worry too much about her not roaming. You can't be watching them all the time - especially when you have a night job. Good to see she molted fine :)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
The Spider looks much more like a B. vagans now that it molted. Odd that it was so not B. vagans in appearance pre molt.