Brachypelma Vagans Molting: WORRIED

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
I know there are threads on this, but I'm so worried. I got my first T only a few weeks ago. She is a confirmed female brachypelma vagans. I researched the heck out of them before I got her. I love her so much. She's a big girl.

Anyway, last night before I left for work I checked on her. (this was about 7pm as I work nights) I saw she was in her hide on her back. Ok. Deep Breath. I figured she is molting. I didn't recognize the signs earlier because I had just put her in a new enclosure and thought she was just getting accustomed to it.

Anyway, I left and went to work. Got home 30 mins ago (now 4am) and she is still on her back and looks to be in the same position. She doesn't seem to be moving at all. Her body/exoskeleton doesn't appear raised up at all either (like she's been pushing it up) I am so worried.

I don't know when exactly this all started, but assuming she only got on her back shortly before I discovered her last night, it means she's been in the same position for like 9+ hours.

I'm also worried there may be a cricket hiding in her hide. I searched her enclosure and didn't see one, but what if one is in her hide with her? I'm so worried. I don't want to lift the hide to see though. I did shine a light just enough to see and didn't see one but what if it is under her hurting her???

I'm sorry... i'm just so worried. I love her so much and it is worrying that it has been so long and no movement. I thought the legs would at least be moving a bit...??? :(

I feel like a Mom waiting for her child to emerge from major surgery.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
She is big? What size?

You may just be a little paranoid as new keeper but that is normal.

Larger specimens can take up to 2 days to complete moult process

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
This is a photo of her next to my hand... she's big.

I've read humidity might be good. Should I put her enclosure in my bathroom with the shower running hot? (to get steamy?) or just leave it for now..? It seems like its been a long time ./.. i'm so freekin worried.

Attachments

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
This is a photo of her next to my hand... she's big.

I've read humidity might be good. Should I put her enclosure in my bathroom with the shower running hot? (to get steamy?) or just leave it for now..? It seems like its been a long time ./.. i'm so freekin worried.
She is adult then. The process will take longer depending how old she is.

Don't disturb her. Humidity doesnt have much effect when it comes to moult. It really depends on wether or not the specimen is properly hydrated (internal). Though other factors sometimes come into play.

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
She is adult then. The process will take longer depending how old she is.

Don't disturb her. Humidity doesnt have much effect when it comes to moult. It really depends on wether or not the specimen is properly hydrated (internal). Though other factors sometimes come into play.
Okay. I just peeked again with my light from the backside of her hide (it's up against the glass and you can see inside even though it's buried) I detected tiny movements from her back leg and spinnerettes.. and a little from her abdomen!!! Oh god.... please oh please oh please let this be a successful molt!!!!

I'm literally sick with worry. I went to sleep for a bit and had a dream about this. I love her so much and want her to be ok.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Okay. I just peeked again with my light from the backside of her hide (it's up against the glass and you can see inside even though it's buried) I detected tiny movements from her back leg and spinnerettes.. and a little from her abdomen!!! Oh god.... please oh please oh please let this be a successful molt!!!!

I'm literally sick with worry. I went to sleep for a bit and had a dream about this. I love her so much and want her to be ok.
New keeper jitters..

Bad moults arent so common. Though if you disturb them during the process its can have a negative outcome.

I know it may be difficult. But try not to worry

Denbert

Arachnosquire
That's the first thing you need to do, try to relax. Let nature work its magic. Calm down. It would take a day or two for a bigger T to finish molting. Also, if you can't see your crickets around, they're not under her. Usually, crickets roam the enclosure a lot. If you feed her with dubia roaches or meal worms (anything that can burrow), then you should be really more cautious on feeding your T since some "underground resistance" may stress your T.

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
New keeper jitters..

Bad moults arent so common. Though if you disturb them during the process its can have a negative outcome.

I know it may be difficult. But try not to worry
Thanks. I covered her enclosure with a blanket and am going to try to leave her be. I'm just so happy she's moving now at least. I was so scared when I'd left for work and come home to her in literally the same position with her legs not moved at all!

Denbert

Arachnosquire
Thanks. I covered her enclosure with a blanket and am going to try to leave her be. I'm just so happy she's moving now at least. I was so scared when I'd left for work and come home to her in literally the same position with her legs not moved at all!
Why the need to cover her enclosure with blanket? Wait, what is your enclo? You could just turn the lights off, close the lid and let her be.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
@KezyGLA Is that actually a B vagans? Mine never had stripes on the knees..

I know you're kinda a expert with this species so...;)
Brachypelma sp. angustum or sericopelma whatever it is just now more than likely.

Whatever it is, its obviously a vagans. ;)

boina

Lady of the mites
@KezyGLA Is that actually a B vagans? Mine never had stripes on the knees..

I know you're kinda a expert with this species so...;)
You beat me to it...

I don't think it looks like a vagans really, but whatever it is it can probably live happily ever after just being called vagans ;)

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
It didn't look like a B. vagans to me either.

@TreeHugger That time frame is nothing to be concerned about. It looks fine to me.

BC1579

Arachnobaron
Glad to see it all “working out.”

In a week or so you can congratulate her with a nice, fat dubia or maybe a juicy beetle larva.

TreeHugger

Arachnopeon
Okay so now I'm not freaking out about her dying, I can address you guys not thinking she's a b vagans? The store I got her from got her from a tarantula breeder who labeled her a vagans.

What would she be then?