Brachypelma Smithi Spiderling

LucaD

Arachnopeon
Just got my first and new B. Smithi sling. I got everything I need, food, enviroment,etc. I do want to ask if anybody knows how often usually they feed at this stage? Since it is 1/2" I got fruitflies. It ate one on the first night I got it, but since then it didn't ate at all. It only passed 3 days, but I just wanna know like how often should this specie should be fed at this stage. Thanks in advance ^.^

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
You can feed slings everyday if you wish, all goes towards growth.

I would avoid the fruit flies though, they are supposedly nutrient deficient. Pre killed crickets and mealworms would be your best option for slings of that size.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I feed every 3 days at that size, I'd ditch the fruit flies and go with mini mealworms/pinhead crickets/roach nymphs though.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
You'll want to stop using fruit flys as soon as you try to feed one to your new tarantula. They are more anoying than crickets in my opinion. Id take the loss and get mealworms.

Also just a heads up, tarantula at any size can go an incredibly long time without eating, so dont be to worried if it isnt hungry.

sasker

Arachnoprince
You could also try maggots from your local fish tackle shop. They are cheap and store well in the fridge.

Just got my first and new B. Smithi sling.
BTW, you are likely to have a B. hamorii (formerly B. smithi). The real B. smithi was formerly called B. annitha and looks very similar but much rarer than B. hamorii. Many vendors still sell their B. hamorii as B. smithi. Confusing right? I know ;)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
BTW, you are likely to have a B. hamorii (formerly B. smithi). The real B. smithi was formerly called B. annitha and looks very similar but much rarer than B. hamorii. Many vendors still sell their B. hamorii as B. smithi. Confusing right? I know ;)
The majority of vendors in the UK have made the change, if you buy a spider as a B. smithi from a reputable vendor here then you likely have a B. smithi.

Edit: They're around the same price and have become more available here since the revision.

LucaD

Arachnopeon
I'd like to thank everybody here who took some time to inform me and I really apreciate it. Yeah, I will go for mealworms, I will make am order and I will leave tiny bits of them so it can scavange. The place I got my tarantula it is from exotic-pets.co.uk . It had various tarantula species, the one I had is mentioned as B.annitha (formerly b.smithi). It had various other species like b. Hamorii aswell, but it had a different price. I'm just new to tarantulas.... first time I jumped straight to King Baboon species but I heard they are very agressive and it is not recommended for newbies, so I took the advice amd got B. Annitha.

LucaD

Arachnopeon
Should I go for small crickets or meal worms ? What do you think?

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Should I go for small crickets or meal worms ? What do you think?
I always used, for my slings, (really) micro crickets (in Italy we call those annoying pests that way), called 'pinheads' in the U.S and, probably, in the rest of the English speaking world.

But other options are fine as well.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
Same in the UK, took me a minute to realise that "micro crickets" and "pinheads" were the same thing :wacky::rofl:
Yeah, you know, I fail to understand why in the U.S those are called 'pinheads'. After all, no one can deny that those are, actually, micro crickets.

'pinhead/s' remind me of 'Hellraiser' and that Ramones song.