Brachypelma smithi sling has escaped! Need help!

bull04

Arachnopeon
So I bought a Brachypelma smithi sling from a pet store a week or two ago and it stayed just fine in the cup. I recently transferred it to a slightly bigger cup and I'm afraid the holes were too big because I woke up today and she wasn't in the cup. I need help on how I can find her or where she could be hiding...

Thanks for any help anyone! I'm thinking she may still be on my desk because she was set on it and my desk is about 3 feet from the ground so if she fell she may have died...

bull04

Arachnopeon
No I checked inside the cup and lightly moved the soil out. She was nowhere to be found...

SamuraiSid

Arachnodemon
Check under everything in the room, and also check your bathroom. From what Ive heard most escapee's run for the bathroom.

macj1983

Arachnosquire
Good luck I lost my 2 in Smithi for a 80 plus day in a 20x20 room no windows though it got outside some how just popped up one day it being so small gonna be fun to find but doable

annabelle

Arachnosquire
I'd say she was only about 1/3". Not very big. Picked her up for $34 at a pet shop in West Valley...
i suggest turning out all the lights and waiting a few minutes and then trying to find it with a flashlight since they are more active at night. i don't think a fall from 3 feet would kill the spiderling since its so small.
how big were the holes, anyway? i think its typically a rule to make the holes smaller than the carapace of the tarantula, or else it might find a way to squeeze its way out.
also, which pet shop? (sorry, i'm curious since i live in utah, too!)

bull04

Arachnopeon
i suggest turning out all the lights and waiting a few minutes and then trying to find it with a flashlight since they are more active at night. i don't think a fall from 3 feet would kill the spiderling since its so small.
how big were the holes, anyway? i think its typically a rule to make the holes smaller than the carapace of the tarantula, or else it might find a way to squeeze its way out.
also, which pet shop? (sorry, i'm curious since i live in utah, too!)
I'll try that real quick. Thanks for the info! Also, I got her from Pets and Such. It's a small pet store in West Valley. They had quite a few slings there (new egg maybe), but that was my only option seeing as I was looking for an adult female and that was my last choice and the only Red Knee I found all day.

bull04

Arachnopeon
Update:
No sign of her yet :(. I hope she shows up within the next couple days...

Harvestman

Arachnopeon
Definitely do the flashlight thing. Cops/investigators do that when they're- you know, investigating. When you shine a flashlight at a shallow angle to a surface, such as the floor, any tiny object, such as your spider, casts a large shadow.

Good luck, hope you find him.

bull04

Arachnopeon
OH THANK GOD I FOUND HER!!! She was under my bed under a small throw pillow. I lured her back into the tiny cup with small holes. No getting out for her! She's safe and sound and still has all legs!

meghanbe

Arachnopeon
Congrats! That's pretty amazing. I can't imagine losing my tiny third instar sling. What a nightmare.

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Congrats! Im happy you found the little guy. Lesson learned =)

I had the same thing happen to me with one of my G. pulchripes, when I joined the hobby. LUCKILY I found it within minutes of realizing it escaped. Right in the middle of my bedroom walkway, where my nephew was jumping around and playing. Im surprised it didn't get squished.

bull04

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I did learn my lesson. I think I went a bit crazy with the ventilation deal. Luckily she's safe and sound and will be from now on!

bull04

Arachnopeon
I know! Phew! It felt like instinct, since that was the first place I checked today. Almost gave up hope, but she was there! Now to get back to raising her. Is everyone anxious about slings? You just want them to grow so badly!

RyTheTGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Yeah pretty much B. smithi sling is going to take a while. They're slow growers. You will be watching this little guy/gurl grow for many years before they get to an alright size.

I have two G.pulchripes slings they take their time. Had them at least a year and a half. They finally turned dark, Im just waiting on the gold to pop out. =)

bull04

Arachnopeon
Yeah pretty much B. smithi sling is going to take a while. They're slow growers. You will be watching this little guy/gurl grow for many years before they get to an alright size.

I have two G.pulchripes slings they take their time. Had them at least a year and a half. They finally turned dark, Im just waiting on the gold to pop out. =)
True that! How long before they get color and such? She's just tiny and brown right now. And semi-transparent, which is odd...