Brachypelma Hamorri bone dry substrate or moist?

Saphinix

Arachnopeon
As the titel says. I can't really find a clear answer and I dont know if thats what I'm doing on the picture is right. Btw Brachypelma smithi or hamorii? Confusing :bored:
"It has been confused with Brachypelma smithi; both have been called Mexican redknee tarantulas." says Wikipedia. Other sources say the names been changed.
20180406_190033.jpg

Last edited:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Looks fine, dry with a waterdish is good once they're juvies or bigger, like yours. :)

Saphinix

Arachnopeon
Looks fine, dry with a waterdish is good once they're juvies or bigger, like yours. :)
Got it
Btw i keep his enclosure at a place thats kinda dark is that a problem or do they not care how much light they get?

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Oh, and it is Brachypelma hamorii, yes. Forgot to answer that :)
It used to be Brachypelma smithi, but it got renamed last year. A lot of breeders keep labeling them as smithi which can be confusing :wacky:

Saphinix

Arachnopeon
Oh, and it is Brachypelma hamorii, yes. Forgot to answer that :)
It used to be Brachypelma smithi, but it got renamed last year. A lot of breeders keep labeling them as smithi which can be confusing :wacky:
Ah alright thanks!

Saphinix

Arachnopeon
How long ago did you buy it and what did you purchase it as?

If purchased fairly recently from a reputable seller as B. smithi then you probably have B. smithi.
Bought the little guy 3 days ago now I think. He was labeled B. smithi in the store.
Still dont really get it I thought the name was changed so why do I actually have a smithi now?

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Bought the little guy 3 days ago now I think. He was labeled B. smithi in the store.
Still dont really get it I thought the name was changed so why do I actually have a smithi now?
If they know their stuff then it's B. smithi (ex "annitha").

In short, the revision found that the spider sold in the hobby for decades as "B. smithi" were actually misidentified B. hamorii and that the spider sold as "B. annitha" were actually the true B. smithi.

Saphinix

Arachnopeon
If they know their stuff then it's B. smithi (ex "annitha").

In short, the revision found that the spider sold in the hobby for decades as "B. smithi" were actually misidentified B. hamorii and that the spider sold as "B. annitha" were actually the true B. smithi.
Can you identify which species it is with a picture of it?
To me both look the same

Last edited: