1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Species Brachypelma hamorii (ex Brachypelma smithi)

Discussion in 'Tarantula Pictures' started by Ronj, Mar 8, 2006.

1. D Sherlod

D Sherlod Arachnoknight

Advertisement
    My girl Merrideth

2017-05-02 20.06.31.jpg

2. JohnR

JohnR Arachnopeon

Here’s mine...

41276C33-AAE9-4764-9AB6-F6B0249355D3.jpeg

3. Olan

Olan Arachnolord Old Timer

7F2D3E51-1C04-4BC6-9363-EC120234BB13.jpeg Potato, who is now in heavy premolt

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  4. VanessaS

VanessaS Grammostola Groupie Arachnosupporter

My darling little girl, Autumn... one of my favourite models.
    DSC00384-2.jpg
    DSC05118-2 (2).jpg

• Like Like x 3
  5. McGruder

McGruder Arachnopeon

Canada
    IMG_0612.jpg
    Potato? Haha that's a great name! So is Autumn. :D

I think this species will always have a soft spot in my heart. They're gorgeous, and have great personalities. Here's my Priscilla (I don't hold her anymore).

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ray Lence

Ray Lence Arachnopeon Active Member

Kyiv
    20180624_001926.jpg
    To faceplant or not to faceplant, that is the question... - Teraphohamlet, prince of Teraposidia

My small (L8 female) teenage fury roach-killer.
    Maria Huana.
    First ever tarantula in my life.

• Like Like x 2
  7. InvertAddiction

InvertAddiction Arachnoknight

You picked a great choice as a starter T :) Mine was ALWAYS in sight and ate like there was no tomorrow (except premolt). Very rare did she ever flick hair, which was a big bonus lol.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ray Lence

Kyiv
    Thx. Yeap, I did some research, that's why I 've chosen that spec. Also, here in Europe they are not as common pets as in USA.
    Well, mine normally too, but she still throws them now and than on the ground around her den. So yesterday when I was re-filling her waterbowl, I got a bit of them. It's still a bit ichy.
    Will go and buy medical gloves, just not to go there bare-handed. I've heared that reaction on hairs gets worse as time passes.

9. InvertAddiction

InvertAddiction Arachnoknight

I got the hairs by accident/ignorance when I was doing an enclosure change and bare handed her water dish and hide. The itch was (what I thought back then, till I got my T. stirmi rofl) bad, but I immediately finished in her enclosure and took a shower and the itch was gone.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Ray Lence

Kyiv
    Problem is that allergic reaction seems to get worse as the number of contact increases. Shultz wrote in his book, that urticating hairs are evolutonary selected to be as allergeic for mammals as possible. He citaded series of experiments, where mice were exposed to urticating hairs.
    It was like
    1. Mouse finds a spider's den
    2. Mouse sticks it's head there
    3. Mouse gets nosefull of irritating hairs.
    4. Mouse is small, so it gets not just itch but a full-scaled Quinke swelling
    5. Mouse dies
    6. Tarantula eats mouse
    7. The End.
    So we - as being mammals - are at risk too. We are relatively big, so getaway just with an itch. But its not as safe as can seem to.
    So basically, later we got exposed - the better.

11. BladeGypsy

BladeGypsy Arachnoknight Arachnosupporter

Denver
  12. Dabalya

Dabalya Arachnopeon

Never seen her eat like this.She was in more like a "curl" position when she was eating.

And what i noticed is she was touching the surfuce with her spinnerets and turning around.

Attached Files:

13. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

That's the happy dance. They spin around while making a feeding mat and/or wrapping their prey in silk.

They often stand on their tippy-toes while feeding, especially early on in the meal. It's probably to prevent the prey from getting leverage by touching the ground.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Nevelio

Nevelio Arachnopeon

Seattle
    Hello! I'm new and got my first tarantula yesterday from @sdsnybny
    She's a B. hamorii

I named her Chupa
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. sdsnybny

sdsnybny Arachnogeek Arachnosupporter

Nice shots Robert! Welcome to the hobby

• Like Like x 1
  16. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

IMG_20190713_135636.jpg
    Sorry Starbucks barrista. :dead: It was just too hot to make it home without something to drink, and the siren call of your frufru summer drinks was too strong for m to just walk by with my new friends.

I did make a little kid's day by letting him peek at my new lil guys, though.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Garetyl

Garetyl Arachnoknight Active Member

IMG_20190713_211204_01.jpg
    IMG_20190713_211517_01.jpg
    These two are from the same eggsack. Lil guy had a rough start.

• Sad Sad x 1
  18. Nevelio

Nevelio Arachnopeon

Seattle
    Here's Chupa showing off her underside like a brazen hussy.

Incidentally, does anyone know why the area around her mouth is deep red like that? I thought hemolymph was clear or blue.

[​IMG]

19. Ungoliant

Ungoliant Malleus Aranearum Staff Member

Do you mean the area around her mouth or that red area at the top of her sternum? (The mouth itself looks normal.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  20. Nevelio

Nevelio Arachnopeon

Seattle
    I should have been more clear! I don't think anything is wrong with her at all, I was just wondering what makes that fleshy red/pink color, since in humans that color is cause by blood in capillaries etc. I have to assume in spiders it's that color for a reason other than being "flushed", if that makes sense.