Species Brachypelma hamorii (a.k.a. Brachypelma smithi)

Ronj

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
# 2 has now molted

My # 2 has now molted just a few days behind #1. Here are the before and after pictures. Two slings are better then one and it is a joy to watch them both grow at their pace. These two always molt within a week of each other and are getting the exact same care. Size of enclosures, food, water, misting.

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
Hey everyone. I just wanted to show off my little guy. He's 1.5" and I just got him June 6th. I'm a proud mama! {D Let me know what you think!:)

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
My Little Guy Molted!!!!!!

Yep early this morning so here is a new pic of his gorgeous new suit!!!

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Nope this is my first T and well I've just been calling him a "him" lol I'm not an expert yet at that! :rolleyes:
Oh alright, well congrats then. Once it gets to around the 3" size, grab the molt asap and take a picture of the inner abdomen.

Squeaksville

Arachnopeon
Oh alright, well congrats then. Once it gets to around the 3" size, grab the molt asap and take a picture of the inner abdomen.
Ok so hopefully next molt He's about 2 inches now. I look at the pics and WHAT a difference!! :clap:

luna

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
What a beautiful change! Both you and your baby survived the molt!!!

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok so hopefully next molt He's about 2 inches now. I look at the pics and WHAT a difference!! :clap:
yeah,because if it is a girl you will have many many years with her(if it is female) ive got my smithi now for 19yrs,20 is just around the corner for her,let's keep our fingers crossed for ya:)

LucN

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I've searched high & low and found no type of thread. There was a short-lived thread dedicated to B. auratum, but this one is for the ultimate "classic" pet tarantula.

Share pictures or stories about your beloved B. smithi.

I've started the hobby around 3 years ago with the typical pet shop G. rosea. I had just her for about a year. Whenever I was looking through the TKG 3rd Ed. and looked at the B. smithi on page 330, it made me want one so bad. Not willing to take a chance with an online dealer at the time, I went to the LPS that I got my G. rosea and tried to have one ordered through its supplier. They only had 1/2" slings at the time. I did not feel ready to care for such a small baby. But the manager suggested I obtain a B. boehmei instead since they had 1.5" slings on hand. At that point, I was willing to take any Brachypelma into my care.

The B. boehmei proved to be slightly more active and much more reliable with food than the G. rosea. I got lucky and the B. boehmei turned out female ! The G. rosea was eventually sold to a new keeper. After a year of just the B. boehmei, I randomly browsed the Tarantula Canada pricelist and lo and behold, they had one 1.5" B. smithi female on hand. After a quick email and a few weeks of patience, the one tarantula I desired over all others was finally at my door step. Following an easy transfer, I spent a good hour or more just staring at her. So far she has molted once in my care and is a real pleasure to work with. She hardly kicks hairs and has only threw one threat pose during premolt.

This thread won't be complete without a picture, so here is my girl, Ginger :)

So let's see that B. smithi fandom, folks ! :D

Jenthevet

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
015.jpg Just acquired two adults! I believe this one is a female. Didn't know how beautiful they were until I got one. Yay!

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My B. smithi my first T I got (together with the P. irminia sub-adult female)! I suspect her being female, too and still wait on her to molt in hopes to be able to confirm it then. She's an awesome T and very slow moving. Unless something spooks her than she bolts down into her hideout and only comes back out after 1 hr+. However, she rarely kicked hairs, is a good eater and very easily to be kept happy.

How I got her (white spots are water droplets, not mites)
P1000877.JPG

heavy pre-molt, still waiting for her to molt
P1010109.JPG

Adena as she likes to hang out
P1000914.JPG

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
My B smithi is in heavy premolt, hopefully I can get some decent pictures after she molts. I love this species.

awolfe

Arachnosquire
Wow storm, I don't think I've ever seen such a heavy premolt! Ha ha. Cute. My motherinlaw cracks up at the differences in my male and female b smithi. My male is so skinny and eats and eats and my female is chunky and gorges and then will go weeks with out eating. My male is social and crawls all over me and my female sometimes likes bothered but typically not. Ha ha...just like a man and a woman :)
diesel pictured above is my fav to photograph, he's by far a baby, he's a MM that's had his last molt. But I love him, he's my baby. Something about your first b smithi

Last edited:

Storm76

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
My smithi is very reluctant to molt apparently. I see her sometimes out of her burrow and then going back in. I only change water every 3 days and leave her alone except that. She'll molt when she's ready :)