Brachypelma hamorii bite severity

Serkos

Arachnopeon
hi I recently got a brachypelma hamorii (not too young around 5 cm diameter) and I wanted to know how serious it would be if she ever bit me (which I doubt will happen cause I don’t mess around with her) but I was searching on google and couldn’t find any reports of someone being bit by this species and I wondered if anyone knew how severe their venom is. Is it similarly weak as the b smithi?

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
If we're talking about an adult, the fangs themselves would likely hurt more than the venom. Note that allergies do exist though, so there is a slim chance it would be a bigger situation for you.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have been bit by my adult G porteri. It hurted some, but not too bad. I guess B hamorii has similair venom?

Serkos

Arachnopeon
If we're talking about an adult, the fangs themselves would likely hurt more than the venom. Note that allergies do exist though, so there is a slim chance it would be a bigger situation for you.
No I don’t have any allergies and also it’s not an adult it’s 5cm big

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
As stated above, in the case of adult specimens (and if females, better) what you need to "fear" with this species (and other similar NW's species) are the mechanical damage caused by the chelicerae punctures more than mere venom potency (nothing relevant, for what we know).

I know that in the arachnid hobby, when it comes for bites, first comes the concern about the venom potency (reasonable, since majority of us keeps OW's and other arachnids with a somewhat potent venom) and only second the chelicerae damage, but those chubby NW's are quite badass, on that sense, and that powerful mechanical bite shouldn't be underestimated, never.

They can damage technically even hand nerves, ain't joking (imagine a brutal T.stirmi) :writer:

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
also it’s not an adult it’s 5cm big
Yeah, I got that, I was just making a point about the venom :rofl:

They can damage technically even hand nerves, ain't joking (imagine a brutal T.stirmi) :writer:
You're not kidding. These are the fangs of an adult female T. stirmi. If I got bit, I couldn't care less about the venom. I'd care about an angry leg-beast holding onto my hand with 5/8" face daggers.

20190315_093533_3.jpg

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I read a paper on T venom awhile back and I thought it described how T venom is made up of incomplete peptides, and thus couldn't have the proper chain of molecules to invoke an allergic response. It was also talked about in Stan Shultz's book, though I realise his "words of wisdom" are to be taken with a huge block of salt. ;)

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I read a paper on T venom awhile back and I thought it described how T venom is made up of incomplete peptides, and thus couldn't have the proper chain of molecules to invoke an allergic response. It was also talked about in Stan Shultz's book, though I realise his "words of wisdom" are to be taken with a huge block of salt. ;)
I actually vaguely know what you're talking about. But really, allergies should be taken into account with just about any animal, especially exotics. People can be allergic to just about anything under the sun... including the sun, actually.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I actually vaguely know what you're talking about. But really, allergies should be taken into account with just about any animal, especially exotics. People can be allergic to just about anything under the sun... including the sun, actually.
Starting from the point that I'm the last person educated about, let me add this to the above.

Another issue that should (always) be considered is (in regards of certain OW's species) a lot of post envenomations bite effects, like those that may affects the heart etc (see the venom of the African arboreal baboons and C.fimbriatus, according to the little we know).

Now, different people, different issues, a different general health history (isn't rare that a person wasn't/isn't even full aware of his medical status, happened) and those symptoms can vary and they are, often, underestimated because "no one ever died", but I do love to consider always a 360° picture :)

cold blood

Staff member
allergic reactions only come about after exposure.

Last edited:

cold blood

Staff member
Might I direct you to the hoards of YouTubers that get tagged on a weekly basis :rofl:
please dont.:D

Thats insane...people can be soooo dumb....and most dummies seem to have a you tube channel to show off their brilliance to all.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The mechanical damage from the fangs would likely be worse than the effects of the venom (if any is injected at all).

The fangs on my 5" hamorii female's last moult (because I'm not stupid enough to put my hands anywhere near the girl herself, she'd make an OBT look mild-mannered).

37935719_2235516723128421_3759348439981228032_n.jpg

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I heard a story of a T blondi crushed a bone in a guys hand. Yes the mechanical damage is worse than the venom in many speicies!

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
I heard a story of a T blondi crushed a bone in a guys hand. Yes the mechanical damage is worse than the venom in many speicies!
Chances are that said T.blondi was a T.stirmi that costed like a T.blondi :troll: - couldn't resist

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I dont think there is any diffrence whatsoever between a T blondi or a T stirmis teeth if the spidrrs are of the same size