Brachypelma emilia (Mexican Redleg) help

.Chris.

Arachnopeon
I have decided to purchase a Brachypelma emilia as my first T.
I was wondering if any of you who have one could tell me your habitat setups, what you feed them...etc...?

My father used to raise fish so I already have an assortment of clean glass aquariums in various sizes. Is it possible to have too big of an aquarium? I have everything from small plain fish bowls to a 40 gallon tank.

I also have a dog and a cat, would you advise that I keep them out of the same room as the T to reduce stress or anything of that nature?

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated :D
I am also going out to the bookstore tommorow to pick up The Tarantula Keepers Guide by Shultz and Tarantulas and Other Arachnids at the bookstore that a few people have recomended

Also I was wondering what a reasonable price for one is? The petstore near me has a few for around $35.

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I don't know what size the spider is but a 5-10 gal tank will house an adult fine. I would keep it on dry peat moss with a hide and a water dish.
The book that you are getting will probably answer your questions.
They are beautiful spiders ;)

.Chris.

Arachnopeon
The majority of the T's at the store are about 3-4" across I'm guessing.
Do they prefer anything in particular for a hide?

Brian S

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
There are a number of things that you can use for a hide. Alot of people use halved flower pots. I use coconut halves for my G rosea. You could use cork bark, halved log etc. etc.
BTW a 4" emilia is worth $35 ;)

DnKslr

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
35$ for a 4" B emilia???? Where do you live?!? I wanna go there!
I can't find a 4" anything but roseas for any less than $50, and most of those are mature wc males :8o

.Chris.

Arachnopeon
just north of Toronto in Canada ;) I don't really know much about T's and even I thought it was a good price, I thought they would be priced a bit higher than even 50 bucks