Brachypelma dilemma

If You could only have single Brachypelma, which species would You chose?

• Total voters

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
No verdezi, vagans, kahlenbergi, albopilosum, sabulosum, schroederi, epicureanum, or angustum. Half of this genus is missing, time to start sending out fliers to find them again, LOL. :rolleyes::troll:
Brachypelma angustum was reclassified quite awhile ago to Sericopelma angustum.
I chose Brachypelma annitha (smithi) just cuz

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I chose B. hamorii because they are icon and the first tarantula I wanted and the first I eventually came to own. :happy: She is a gorgeous tarantula, never hides, full of attitude but doesn’t kick much hair.

They are all beautiful and I’d love to get a B. klassi someday and am thrilled to have recently added several B. vagans slings to my collection. :D

Hi,
I would like to ask You on Your opinions on members of this popular genus. I currently have juvie females of B. hamorii and B. boehmei. I am cosidering reduction of my collection and if so then only keeping one. And one of my favorite local sellers is now complicating this for me by offering similar size B. emilia female for ~25$.
So if You could only have single Brachypelma, which species would You chose and why (price and growth rate excluded)? Thanks for any input. :)

I would like to only discuss Brachypelma s.str. sensu Turner et al. 2017 = "red legs" species group here (therefore limited poll options). :)

View attachment 302549 View attachment 302550
They are both gorgeous T’s and don’t take up much space or work — I would keep them both if possible! :D

Last edited by a moderator:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
I chose B. hamorii because at this point I'd sever one of my own limbs to own one. (I just don't care to raise slings at the moment, that's the problem)

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I chose B. hamorii because at this point I'd sever one of my own limbs to own one. (I just don't care to raise slings at the moment, that's the problem)
Wait, so you’d rather sever a limb than raise a tarantula sling??? o_O
To each their own, but B. hamorii are one of the easiest T’s to care for and grow relatively quickly for a terrestrial.

Last edited:

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Wait, so you’d rather sever a limb than raise a tarantula sling??? o_O
To each their own, but B. hamorii are one of the easiest T’s to care for and grow relatively quickly for a terrestrial.
Yes. Well not really, I do need arms and legs. I know how ridiculous that sounds but for whatever reason right now I'm just not into the idea of raising a sling right now. Gimme a few months and I might change my mind!

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Yes. Well not really, I do need arms and legs. I know how ridiculous that sounds but for whatever reason right now I'm just not into the idea of raising a sling right now. Gimme a few months and I might change my mind!
Well, I’m never into the idea of losing limbs! :p No reason to get a sling before it’s something you’re interested in doing but I find it to be a very rewarding part of keeping tarantulas. :happy:

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I love raising any tarantulas from sling stage. It is a joy to see them growing in sizes.

Rigor Mortis

Arachnobaron
Well, I’m never into the idea of losing limbs! :p No reason to get a sling before it’s something you’re interested in doing but I find it to be a very rewarding part of keeping tarantulas. :happy:
I love raising any tarantulas from sling stage. It is a joy to see them growing in sizes.
Hoping that one day I have that kind of patience! Then again it is keeping me from being overrun with tarantulas since I don't have an abundance of space, so there is a silver lining in my stubbornness.

Jayson1974

Arachnopeon
Still waiting for warm weather and deciding on species before ordering first tarantula. But my 5 year old Granddaughter informed me today(while looking over my shoulder) that I will be getting her that pretty black and red one...Brachypelma auratum. So ya thats my vote LOL.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Voted hamorii. Although I don't think they're the most beautiful I think they're the quintessential tarantula. Plus my lass is my favourite for personal reasons.

If it was a vote on the sheer sight I'd go emilia.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Quess what, today I bought smaller emilia female from another great seller for even better price.
So now I am facing Brachypelma trilemma. :meh:

Thank You for all votes and replies. :) For me the most surprising outcome of poll was popularity of auratum.

Phia

Arachnopeon
Curly hairs tho! Why no B. albopilosum on the poll!

;) Probably because there's no competition.
But I picked B. boehmi because they are feisty!

johnny quango

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have 9 Brachypelma in my collection as of now including 6 from your list. I should choose B albopilosum as it was my 1st every tarantula. From your list I refuse to be pigeon holed so I choose B verdezi :D

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Quess what, today I bought smaller emilia female from another great seller for even better price.
So now I am facing Brachypelma trilemma. :meh:

Thank You for all votes and replies. :) For me the most surprising outcome of poll was popularity of auratum.

Beautiful T! :D No dilemma (nor trilemma) that I can see! :p

Last edited:

s dave

Arachnopeon
B albo all the way! but from the list I'd have to go smithi.

They are the brighter cousin to the iconic hamorii and I like the brighter colors if it's going to be a colorful spider.

SonsofArachne

Arachnoangel
Had a hard time deciding between albiceps, klaasi, and emilia. I eliminated alibiceps because they grow so slow. IMO emilia and klaasi are equally beautiful (maybe a slight edge to klassi after a molt) and are the best looking Brachys, but I decided to go with emilia because that was the second T I bought. Unfortunately that one died after a bad molt, but I now have a sling and a 2 inch female.

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
B albo all the way! but from the list I'd have to go smithi.

They are the brighter cousin to the iconic hamorii and I like the brighter colors if it's going to be a colorful spider.
My understanding is that B. hamorii have more vivid coloring (or red-orange as versus orange) than B. smithi.