Brachypelma dilemma

If You could only have single Brachypelma, which species would You chose?

• Total voters

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Hi,
I would like to ask You on Your opinions on members of this popular genus. I currently have juvie females of B. hamorii and B. boehmei. I am cosidering reduction of my collection and if so then only keeping one. And one of my favorite local sellers is now complicating this for me by offering similar size B. emilia female for ~25$.
So if You could only have single Brachypelma, which species would You chose and why (price and growth rate excluded)? Thanks for any input. :)

I would like to only discuss Brachypelma s.str. sensu Turner et al. 2017 = "red legs" species group here (therefore limited poll options). :)

IMG_0997.JPG IMG_0998.JPG

Last edited:

Liquifin

Arachnoking
Wait? a B. emilia female for $25 (US dollar?)? That's some fishy price right there.

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Wait? a B. emilia female for $25 (US dollar?)? That's some fishy price right there.
Yes, 26 to by accurate (23€), sexed juvie aproximatly something over 2 inches. It is good price, but not exeptional.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
B vagans i think? my favourit along with B albo. B boehmi is close third so i voted that cos the other 2 wasnt on the poll

PanzoN88

Arachnodemon
I clicked B. emilia

20181211_173941.jpg

However B. schroederi or B. albopilosum are far superior.

20190211_142003.jpg

20190211_141833.jpg

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Why isn't there B. albopilosum on the list? o_O

I'd chose a B. albo, I suppose. ;)

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
B vagans i think? my favourit along with B albo. B boehmi is close third so i voted that cos the other 2 wasnt on the poll
B. albo or emilia. I love the curly setae and triangle patches.
I clicked B. emilia

View attachment 302552

However B. schroederi or B. albopilosum are far superior.

View attachment 302553

View attachment 302554
Why isn't there B. albopilosum on the list? o_O

I'd chose a B. albo, I suppose. ;)
Sorry, curly hairs and red rumps are amazing spiders, but I omitted them intentionaly, as I intended this thread to be focused on brachys in narrow sense = "red legs" group.

Brachypelma dilemma, I thought we had a new species on our hands.
Yeah, I realised how bad that title looks just after I posted it. :D

Liquifin

Arachnoking
No verdezi, vagans, kahlenbergi, albopilosum, sabulosum, schroederi, epicureanum, or angustum. Half of this genus is missing, time to start sending out fliers to find them again, LOL. :rolleyes::troll:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Sorry, curly hairs and red rumps are amazing spiders, but I omitted them intentionaly, as I intended this thread to be focused on brachys in narrow sense = "red legs" group.
Maybe you should've posed your question differently then: "What red-legged Brachypelma species would you chose?" (or something like that). :p

And by the way, I wasn't aware that B. albiceps had red legs... how curious! :smug:

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Maybe you should've posed your question differently then: "What red-legged Brachypelma species would you chose?" (or something like that). :p

And by the way, I wasn't aware that B. albiceps had red legs... how curious! :smug:
It is mentioned at the end of original post, but I agree that I could have been much clearer.

I am quite aware that they does not :D But they certainly do bellong into Brachypelma s.str. = "red legs" species group. ;)

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
No verdezi, vagans, kahlenbergi, albopilosum, sabulosum, schroederi, epicureanum, or angustum. Half of this genus is missing
By the end of the year, some of those Brachypelma won't be Brachypelma anymore.

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Well, fair enough... I admit I didn't read the mouseprint in your post, and I haven't read the paper. I did hear some rumours about dividing the Brachypelma genus though but didn't apply that to your question.

Having said that, I won't choose in the poll, because I only have a B. hamorii from that group and that wouldn't be a fair decision. ;)

Patherophis

Arachnobaron
Well, fair enough... I admit I didn't read the mouseprint in your post, and I haven't read the paper. I did hear some rumours about dividing the Brachypelma genus though but didn't apply that to your question.

Having said that, I won't choose in the poll, because I only have a B. hamorii from that group and that wouldn't be a fair decision. ;)
It doesnt allow me to edit poll question so I at least tried to clarify post.