Brachypelma boehmei the adventurer

Jonas0

Arachnopeon
L. violaceopes... Wow, that's a step up from a boehmei ! :happy:
Yeah, I find them absolutely stunning with their long legs and magnificent color. I get what you mean with a step up haha, even as a small sling the little creature is insanely fast. If she's outside her fortress (She built a fortress :D ) and I pick up her enclosure to feed/water she runs 1 circle around her enclosure than straight into the burrow but at lightning speed. Can't wait to see her hunt when she grows. :)

ccTroi

Arachnobaron
as for the constant roaming around, i think it just needs time to acclimate in its new enclosure. i don’t own boehmei, but they are very skittish (possibly the most among brachys). i wouldn’t b surprised if it takes weeks to settle. other than being acclimated, brachys prefer dry substrate and do well in room temp (no need to raise temps whatsoever). listen to the advice that’s been said :). happy keeping

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
My boehmei does like to go on a daily stroll around her enclosure and along the walls, but she typically hangs out in one spot. She has never burrowed, even as a tiny sling. She like to sit out in the open (she has a hide, but doesn't really use it). And I second the dry substrate, and be sure to stamp it down. She's fun to watch hunt though - she's tiny but fierce!

Jonas0

Arachnopeon
Burrowed the bone so the substrate would be a bit higher (as it's too late to go buy extra). Rearranged some things so she has more room on the substrate and stamped the substrate. I'll get a smaller enclosure for her next week (don't really have the time to do it this week). Does it look more suitable for now?

Attachments

Jonas0

Arachnopeon
no, the enclosure is not appropriate for a terrestrial.
Yes, but for now, won't be able to get a smaller one until next week.

Also, what exactly should I change when I get a smaller one? Besides this being too high, I don't really understand what's wrong with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
I think the biggest issue now is the height. Since she will climb up the sides, you don't want her to fall from a great height. So you either fill it up with more substrate so that the total height from the ground to the top is no more than about 1.5 times her length, or you buy a shorter enclosure.

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
I like your decorations, but if you think she might fall on them you could move them closer to the middle? I'll defer to more experienced keepers on that note. For my boehmei I use some dried leaves to add to the natural feel, that way if she does fall it won't hurt her. Something like that may work for you too?

Jonas0

Arachnopeon
I like your decorations, but if you think she might fall on them you could move them closer to the middle? I'll defer to more experienced keepers on that note. For my boehmei I use some dried leaves to add to the natural feel, that way if she does fall it won't hurt her. Something like that may work for you too?
How do you clean these leaves? Objects from outside always scare me a bit, I overcook everything I find in the wild before I put it with any animal. It would deffinately be nice though. :)

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
Yeah I get paranoid too! They recommend only collecting from places you know don't get sprayed with pesticides or anything. I gathered some oak leaves from my backyard (since I know I don't spray), I boiled it in water for 10 mins then baked it in the oven for a little bit to dry out. I think I had it on 250 degrees or something. I can't remember how long I had them in the oven, but I checked constantly since I didn't know if it could burn or not. There are places that sell leaves and stuff so you don't have to worry about all that (try terrarium/vivarium or invertebrates vendors online).

Jonas0

Arachnopeon
Oh thanks, will do that as well. Do you worry about replacing them when they decompose?

TreebeardGoddess

Arachnosquire
So far the oak leaves haven't decomposed or molded at all (over 8 months). I have them in dry enclosures (for my B. boehmei and B. albopilosum). I did try the same thing with a vine type leaf and it decomposed almost immediately even though it was in the same conditions. So maybe the type of leaf matters? I also use the tops of the acorns for decoration, and I even used it as my boehmei's first hide when she was tiny! (although she only used it to drag her prey down into it and eat :wacky:)

Jonas0

Arachnopeon
So far the oak leaves haven't decomposed or molded at all (over 8 months). I have them in dry enclosures (for my B. boehmei and B. albopilosum). I did try the same thing with a vine type leaf and it decomposed almost immediately even though it was in the same conditions. So maybe the type of leaf matters? I also use the tops of the acorns for decoration, and I even used it as my boehmei's first hide when she was tiny! (although she only used it to drag her prey down into it and eat :wacky:)
Oh that's cool, must've been a beautiful hide. :) I'll go for oak leaves than, thank you.

boina

Lady of the mites
How do you clean these leaves? Objects from outside always scare me a bit, I overcook everything I find in the wild before I put it with any animal. It would deffinately be nice though. :)
The only thing you need to worry about with things from outside is pesticides. In the Netherlands you won't find tarantula parasites or pathogens outside because the next wild tarantula is more than 1000 km to the south.

I use wood and leaves from my garden. I pick it up and put it into the enclosures. End of story. If they decompose, so what?

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You do not need those plants or skulls.
Why does everyone on here hate decorations so much? In an otherwise appropriate enclosure, there is nothing wrong with them.

You don't.

Oh thanks, will do that as well. Do you worry about replacing them when they decompose?
No.

The only thing you need to worry about with things from outside is pesticides. In the Netherlands you won't find tarantula parasites or pathogens outside because the next wild tarantula is more than 1000 km to the south.

I use wood and leaves from my garden. I pick it up and put it into the enclosures. End of story. If they decompose, so what?
THIS.

Jonas0

Arachnopeon
So I shouldn't fear for unwanted guests with things from outside? Allright cool, thanks.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Why does everyone on here hate decorations so much? In an otherwise appropriate enclosure, there is nothing wrong with them.

You don't.

No.

THIS.
Decoration is fine, unless it had sharp edges or corners sticking out. If a Theraphosid falls on it, it might get its abdomen teared.
There is some difference of opinion between keepers about this though, especially US vs Europe, so you'll find more keepers with these decorations in Europe than across the pond. ;)

Hey! He is from Belgium, not the Netherlands! Important detail! :shifty:
:rofl: