Brachypelma Baumgarteni

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Is Brachypelma Baumgarteni a natural cross of B.smithi and B.bohemi?

Hilikus311

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
no, and from what i've heard there is DNA evidence that proves it is of its own species, but i havn't seen it so i dunno they are rare and beautiful!

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, and interesting question - i wonder what other responses will appear.

Im not going to answer, but instead add - why do you question from the viewpoint of uncertainty about B.baumgarteni ?? Is there not the potential that B.boehmei [note spelling] is perhaps a spin-off or hybrid form, or then, why not B.smithi being the spin-off or hybrid form.

What makes you question that B.baumgarteni might be a hybrid, but accept the others as valid species. Dont they all have species descriptions - and hence morphological differences that indicated to the original authors that these were all unique and valid species ?

deathcrew

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well, and interesting question - i wonder what other responses will appear.

Im not going to answer, but instead add - why do you question from the viewpoint of uncertainty about B.baumgarteni ?? Is there not the potential that B.boehmei [note spelling] is perhaps a spin-off or hybrid form, or then, why not B.smithi being the spin-off or hybrid form.

What makes you question that B.baumgarteni might be a hybrid, but accept the others as valid species. Dont they all have species descriptions - and hence morphological differences that indicated to the original authors that these were all unique and valid species ?
I'm going off of a Smith DVD that I have somewhere that I can't find right now.

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I believe... from memory... that the DVD of Smith et al. present information to suggest that B.baumgarteni is a valid unique form, found wild in mexico, and separated by a large biogeographical divide from B.boehmei. i.e. that B.baumgarteni is a valid species as decribed in Smith 1993.

Though maybe i also should go back and check the information from the DVD.

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Stu brings up a good question....

Not that I believe any of these are a hybrid (I don't know of any reason to think this), but why would B. baumgarteni need to be the hybrid of the other 2? Just because B. baumgarteni is more rare in captive collections does not mean it is less common in the wild. Maybe it's just the opposite!!

ric

Arachnopeon
it's fairly new in the hobby.maybe man made hybrid?there are only cb for sale?

GoTerps

Arachnoking
Old Timer
it's fairly new in the hobby.maybe man made hybrid?
It's not really new in the hobby at all. And even if it was, why would that point to a man made hybrid?

there are only cb for sale?
Well, yes. You will not find WC Brachypelma from Mexico openly sold.

k2power

Arachnoknight
It is possible that those are all VERY closely related species and that we are witnessing speciation occurring, hence the similarities in appearance and the close proximity of ranges. It could be that the uplift of the Sierra Madres separated different populations of an ancestral tarantula and each divided population took off on its own new evolutionary route. Not sure when that uplift of the mountains occurred but probably not too terribly long ago. It did say that baumgarteni and smithi were sympatric in parts of the range which I find interesting. I would bet they hybridize there on occasion since they would undoubtedly encounter each other there.

metallica

Arachnoking
Old Timer
holy smokes what a cracking website!!! it also has info on B. smithi AND B. boehmei in the wild!
http://www.mantid.nl/tarantula/boehmei.html
http://www.mantid.nl/tarantula/smithi.html

---------- Post added 03-04-2013 at 08:21 PM ----------

Well, yes. You will not find WC Brachypelma from Mexico openly sold.
and how can we tell CB and WC spiders apart......? (not a direct question to mr GoTerps)

sjl197

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I will add that the earlier mentioned DVD is available at Andrew Smith's website, for a download fee of just £2 -> $3 !!
http://lovetarantulas.com/lectures.htm

Or much for free on that indeed cracking dutch website !! Just waiting for more on the Central American species now!!

Oh, p.s. the answer to the OP is no.

getemtiger22

Arachnopeon
it's fairly new in the hobby.maybe man made hybrid?there are only cb for sale?
Hybrids can’t breed I have two and they bred I have sold many babies if they were hybrid they wouldn’t be able to breed

Zanaspus

Arachnopeon
Hybrids can’t breed I have two and they bred I have sold many babies if they were hybrid they wouldn’t be able to breed
Not wholly true. There are many "hybrids" that can have viable offspring. The trick is, to talk about great grandchildren.

Also, there is a school of thought in evolution and systematics that says it's not whether the can breed, rather it's a matter of if they COULD breed in nature. There are species separated by an unfordable river. If they could get across, they would, but sadly, they never could.