Brachypelma and C. cyaneopubescens Sling Care

Wolfden

Arachnopeon
I am looking at getting a couple more T's once I get moved which will happen in a couple of days. I would like to get a couple more from the Brachypelma family and a C. cyaneopubescens. I have only dealt with sub-adults and would like to know what kind of care slings need.

Enclosure size?

Do they need moist substrate?

What would you use to make holes in the deli cups for slings under 1"?

How often would you feed them and what to feed them? Pinhead Crickets or flightless fruit flies?

Water dish I am guessing the lid from a water bottle would work?

Flexzone

Arachnodemon
For slings that are smaller then 3/4'' I keep them in tall large vials that I get at the pharmacy others prefer to keep them in plastic disposable souffle cups and one's that reach 3/4''-1'' I transfer them into 16oz deli-cups. Prior to my slings reach 3/4-1'' I put a good amount of slightly moist sub as they tend to make intricate burrows in them, Until they hit the juvie since their easily prone to dehydration at that stage, After that I keep them on dry sub along with a coke/water-cap as a water-dish, Don't worry your T won't drown. I poke holes using an ice-pick for slings. Slings/juvie's eat as much as they can to develop and grow as quickly as possible to become less vulnerable to the least amount of predators. I feed mines pretty much as often as they want to eat that could be either 2x-3x a week really. There isn't the risk of long term obesity as there sub-adult/adult counterparts as they molt frequently and put pretty much all the mass they accumulate into their size. Unlike sub-adult/adults, A fat sling/juvie is a healthy one. Just make sure there isn't a risk to it falling from a great height and it will be ok. I personally feed mines pinheads, Its your choice really if you wanna go with fff as prey.

Chris LXXIX

ArachnoGod
The care, basically, no matter if adults or slings, is the same. Just that slings are more delicate (and here of course depends, C.cyaneopubescens are somewhat 'hardy' even as slings) so an "eye" on the substrate, always slightly moist.

I personally with slings love (really) to work "in little" and i've never offered a water dish to one. Never. One of the reason is, there's no room/place for something similar to a water dish in the little enclosures i use for slings. T's doesn't need a water dish, but water, at the end.
Therefore i use my "eyes" and experience for that. After a couple of molts and cage upgrade/s, then and only then enters the water dish.

But that's me and my way... i don't suggest that to others. Offer one. Stay safe.

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Like others said the care is almost the same as when the are juvies or adults. I'd keep them on lightly moist substrate when they are slings. Also remember that when they are smaller they are very susceptible to temp changes. Vents and being too close to windows can cause problems with slings a lot faster then adults. I still think that vent helped kill my G.rosea when it was molting. So far it's the only sling I've lost.

I used to place real small slings in smaller enclosures 2-4oz deli cups. With the Brachypelma family slings I might still go that route since they are slower. Though since I have been getting faster species I have opted to give them bigger 16oz deli cups. I have little trouble locating them and they seem to find the food I leave for the easily. It helped a lot with my H.pulchripes sling who loved to make the break every time the lid came off.

Other then that, it'll be the same as the juvie/adult version of the species.

Wolfden

Arachnopeon
thanks everyone I will keep these in mind for when I do get them.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer

Enclosure size?

Do they need moist substrate?

What would you use to make holes in the deli cups for slings under 1"?

How often would you feed them and what to feed them? Pinhead Crickets or flightless fruit flies?

Water dish I am guessing the lid from a water bottle would work?
In order asked

1. I think what I would use for an adult and scale down appropriately. 16 oz Solo deli cups work great

2. YES

3. A push pin, it's not rocket science trust me. ;)

4. Pinheads if you have access would be perfect; they will also scavenge feed

5. Correct