Brachypelma Albopilosum Sling/Juvenile

dnmwales

Arachnopeon
Hi there. This is my first post on here and still a beginner so please be kind :) I've been keeping tarantulas for almost 2 years now. I initially started with a Rosea sub/adult but it unfortunately developed DKS after about 12 months and sadly passed away. Now I currently have 3 others - an adult Grammostola Rosea which was given to us and I've had for about a year and a half and looks amazing, and then a Brachypelma Emilia sling and a Brachypelma Albopilosum sling/juvenile which I've both had for about 10 months or so. Although I'd read that slings are hard to look after both are thriving and the Albopilosum has molted 4 times now (the Emilia only once but I understand these are very slow growing). My question for today is when should I consider moving the Albopilosum to a slightly larger enclosure? Obviously it's still small so I'm not talking about a full size tank but just something with more depth possibly if required? The image below is of the current container and I should point out that this does usually have a piece of bark in it too so curly can hide (or burrow under as it had been) but it was taken out just for the purpose of taking the photo. Maybe the current container is perfect but I just wanted some advice please :)

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Welcome to the boards.

The current setup is large enough to keep it going for a few more moults, I'd suggest adding a water dish (a bottle cap or similar will do) as well.

View media item 45256
the Emilia only once but I understand these are very slow growing
Yeah, they're one of the slower growing species from the genus (conversely, albopilosum are one of the faster growers from the genus).

dnmwales

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies, it's good to know the current setup is ok for a bit longer. I haven't supplied any water dish at present simply due to it being so small and usually provide water by spraying the sides in order to get droplets but will see if I can find something small enough to provide water from which wont pose a risk.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
I haven't supplied any water dish at present simply due to it being so small and usually provide water by spraying the sides in order to get droplets but will see if I can find something small enough to provide water from which wont pose a risk.
Don't worry about drowning, tarantulas are stupidly difficult to drown, slings can literally walk on water and adults can even swim.

If you can't find something small enough then just keep half of the substrate slightly moist by pouring a little water into it and then repeating once it dries out (I keep pipettes/syringes for this as they make it easier). I'm not a fan of spraying personally (I find it just annoys the tarantula and kicks up previously discarded hairs no matter how careful you are).

Crone Returns

Arachnoangel
Hi there. This is my first post on here and still a beginner so please be kind :) I've been keeping tarantulas for almost 2 years now. I initially started with a Rosea sub/adult but it unfortunately developed DKS after about 12 months and sadly passed away. Now I currently have 3 others - an adult Grammostola Rosea which was given to us and I've had for about a year and a half and looks amazing, and then a Brachypelma Emilia sling and a Brachypelma Albopilosum sling/juvenile which I've both had for about 10 months or so. Although I'd read that slings are hard to look after both are thriving and the Albopilosum has molted 4 times now (the Emilia only once but I understand these are very slow growing). My question for today is when should I consider moving the Albopilosum to a slightly larger enclosure? Obviously it's still small so I'm not talking about a full size tank but just something with more depth possibly if required? The image below is of the current container and I should point out that this does usually have a piece of bark in it too so curly can hide (or burrow under as it had been) but it was taken out just for the purpose of taking the photo. Maybe the current container is perfect but I just wanted some advice please :)

Keep the little rascal in there. She's very cute!

CyberSkully

Arachnopeon
Thanks for the replies, it's good to know the current setup is ok for a bit longer. I haven't supplied any water dish at present simply due to it being so small and usually provide water by spraying the sides in order to get droplets but will see if I can find something small enough to provide water from which wont pose a risk.
I used a Lego piece for my 1/2" sling.
bae0484e-6cc0-41aa-810d-c241679fe127.jpg

Gavhasacurly

Arachnopeon
Can I feed a live (small) mealworm to a teeny tiny brachy sling? I won't (unless someone on here recommends it). Just that I got the critter today that seems smaller than 1cm. Won't eat the dead one I plopped in earlier, but is merrily in and out of its hole now darkness has fallen. Tarantulas are spiders with such character!

Katiekooleyes

Arachnosquire
Can I feed a live (small) mealworm to a teeny tiny brachy sling? I won't (unless someone on here recommends it). Just that I got the critter today that seems smaller than 1cm. Won't eat the dead one I plopped in earlier, but is merrily in and out of its hole now darkness has fallen. Tarantulas are spiders with such character!
For slings that size it's recommended you pre-kill the prey item before hand. Although it seems like your sling isn't interested, it will be. At this stage they are scavengers. Also, if the food is alive, you run the risk of it killing your sling. Your T isn't the all out death machine it thinks it is quite yet ;)

Personally, I find cutting the mealworm into 2-3 pieces (after crushing the head) and placing the individual pieces about the enclosure. Leave overnight and remove the pieces it didn't eat. That way, it ensures the sling will find food if interested. All you need to remember is to pluck out the leftovers in the morning.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Welcome. Some of the best on AB have answered your questions, so you can’t go wrong. I want to take the opportunity to commend you on the way you presented your query; specifically, succinctly, and with a decent image for specificity. Such a presentation makes response quick and easy.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
First: You should try to find out if you purchased the Brachypelma albopilosum “Nicaragua” I’m hoping that you did.

Second: the smaller the enclosure the better for your sling. Tarantulas don’t need a lot of space. Depending of the tarantulas size most hobbyists provide lots of space because of adding decorations etc., sometimes this is not needed for a tarantula that is too small being in an terrarium that’s to big. It is perfectly fine if that’s what you want your terrarium to look like for your new bug as long as the tarantula is big enough to feel comfortable in her home. As others have said your tarantula is perfectly fine where it lives for now.

Third: Brachypelma albopilosum “Nicaragua” are ferocious eaters. With mine I was able to grow her from a baby to 4.5” inches within two years. This species is one of the fastest growing tarantulas I’ve ever dealt with, they’re hardy and adorable. I wouldn’t worry about pre kill crickets etc. These stablished kids on the block will take their pray down in an instant. They’re bad asses! Enjoy your new bug!

Gavhasacurly

Arachnopeon
First: You should try to find out if you purchased the Brachypelma albopilosum “Nicaragua” I’m hoping that you did.

Second: the smaller the enclosure the better for your sling. Tarantulas don’t need a lot of space. Depending of the tarantulas size most hobbyists provide lots of space because of adding decorations etc., sometimes this is not needed for a tarantula that is too small being in an terrarium that’s to big. It is perfectly fine if that’s what you want your terrarium to look like for your new bug as long as the tarantula is big enough to feel comfortable in her home. As others have said your tarantula is perfectly fine where it lives for now.

Third: Brachypelma albopilosum “Nicaragua” are ferocious eaters. With mine I was able to grow her from a baby to 4.5” inches within two years. This species is one of the fastest growing tarantulas I’ve ever dealt with, they’re hardy and adorable. I wouldn’t worry about pre kill crickets etc. These stablished kids on the block will take their pray down in an instant. They’re bad asses! Enjoy your new bug!
Thanks folks for the advice. Yup I have it in a very small enclosure. It's a matchbox display case type crystal plastic box about 4 inches by 2.5 inches. Originally had a Doctor Who figurine in it (my other hobby lol). When the sling arrived on Tuesday, as much as I'd read up on what to do and how to be prepared, I'd set up a sandwich/lunchbox with substrate and (after searching the tissue it arrived in and EVENTUALLY finding the teeny tiny spider) I popped it in there. I soon [within an hour] noticed it had vanished and it dawned on me the box was wa-a-a-a-ay too large, so I set to work with an artist's paintbrush, gently turning over the peat until I found it and transferred it to the small display case, where I poked a smallish hole, which it has subsequently enlarged and burrowed further into. It seems content in that hole and spends 95% of its time down there. In fact it's a bit of a shock when I see it either near the top of the hole or partially up it. As I placed the hole at the side of the enclosure, I can pretty much see it wherever it is, but for the mostpart, it sits at the bottom of the hole motionless for hour after hour after hour.
I'm not completely alien to spiders. I used to write a blog about UK species and have kept and studied many of the country's arachnids but Tarantulas are alien to me and, as they're exotic, I get a bit fearsome I'm not getting the husbandry correct. Must admit though that I was completely taken by the B.Albopilosum sling as soon as I unpackaged it. Despite the fact it is so tiny, when viewed through a field lense, it's got all the characteristics of an adult Tarantula lol. The eye arrangement, the prominent spinnerets, even the fangs are visible! I'd even go as far as to say it's cute - I've studied British spiders for years but never had that emotion towards one, maybe Salticidae occasionally! Anyway, just hope he/she lives and I can keep on enjoying watching the little beaut!
Oh, and yes, it's 'Nicaragua' - said, when I ordered it that its parents were wild caught there.

Last edited: