Brachypelma albopilosum sling jumped to floor

ImFromDimensionC137

Arachnopeon
I am new to tarantulas. Yesterday I got an about 3-4 in. female Avicularia avicularia and a 1-2 in. Brachypelma albpilosum. There were no issues transfering my Pink Toe to her terrarium, but my Curly Hair got out of my mom's hands and jumped from the countertop to the floor. This was probably a 2-3 ft. jump. The curly hair proceeded to run across the floor before we got them into their enclosure. They didn't bite or flick hairs at anyone and seem to have been fine since this happened. The curly hair has burrowed into their substrate and come back out multiple times since last night. How long after this jump would I have to be worried about my Tarantula dying from the fall? He doesn't have clear injuries and was moving normally afterwards. I know falls can maim or kill tarantulas, but I don't know if it can be a delayed response or if death is always instantaneous. Thank you for any responses and answer you can provide! I apologize if this seems like it should be common sense, but I am still concerned about my Curly Hair dying because of this.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
This is why handling is discouraged, it puts the tarantula's life in jeopardy. At that size, falls are not usually as serious, so its most likely fine. Just be careful with it in the future, use catch cups for your rehouses, and avoid handling as much as possible.

BoyFromLA

Spoon feeder
Arachnosupporter +
I would kindly ask you not to handle your tarantulas. No benefits to tarantulas what so ever. :angelic:

ImFromDimensionC137

Arachnopeon
This is why handling is discouraged, it puts the tarantula's life in jeopardy. At that size, falls are not usually as serious, so its most likely fine. Just be careful with it in the future, use catch cups for your rehouses, and avoid handling as much as possible.
Thanks for the response! We weren't trying to handle him and I don't think my mom had actually touched him, she just took the lid off the plastic container he was in and he got out of it. She tried to keep him from jumping by using her hand to block him from getting to/off the edge of the counter. Sorry if my wording caused some concern for my tarantulas. I don't plan on handling them.

I would kindly ask you not to handle your tarantulas. No benefits to tarantulas what so ever. :angelic:
There's no plans to handle them ;). No one had actually touched him when he first got out, we had just taken the lid off of his container to put him in his enclosure and he made a run for it. Hands got involved when my mom tried to keep him from getting off the counter and jumping. I got into tarantulas knowing "look, don't touch" was going to be a golden rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thanks for the response! We weren't trying to handle him and I don't think my mom had actually touched him, she just took the lid off the plastic container he was in and he got out of it. She tried to keep him from jumping by using her hand to block him from getting to/off the edge of the counter. Sorry if my wording caused some concern for my tarantulas. I don't plan on handling them.
All good, if you need help with your rehouses, there are some good tutorials online for beginners, highly recommend checking out @Tomoran's stuff. It will give you an idea on how to safely rehouse the specimen, and avoid any mishaps.

Welcome to the forums.

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
The biggest risk of a fall is a ruptured abdomen. If you see any wet spots on the B. albo's abdomen, that's indicative of a rupture, especially if the abdomen looks deflated. This is an emergency and while often fatal can sometimes be treated. Should this happen, post here and I'm sure some folks will help verify and explain how to treat it. Hopefully though this will just be a learning experience! I always rehouse in the bathtub since some of my babies are a little bolty.

ImFromDimensionC137

Arachnopeon
The biggest risk of a fall is a ruptured abdomen. If you see any wet spots on the B. albo's abdomen, that's indicative of a rupture, especially if the abdomen looks deflated. This is an emergency and while often fatal can sometimes be treated. Should this happen, post here and I'm sure some folks will help verify and explain how to treat it. Hopefully though this will just be a learning experience! I always rehouse in the bathtub since some of my babies are a little bolty.
Thanks! It was definitely a learning experience. From what I can see, there are no wet spots and his abdomen doesn't look deflated. I'll still keep an eye on him for a bit though. I'll have to keep that bathtub idea in mind though ;)...

asunshinefix

Arachnosquire
Thanks! It was definitely a learning experience. From what I can see, there are no wet spots and his abdomen doesn't look deflated. I'll still keep an eye on him for a bit though. I'll have to keep that bathtub idea in mind though ;)...
I'm probably erring way on the side of caution but I like to put down some old towels in the bathtub to soften the surface. Plus if you have an escapee they tend to hide in the towels instead of freaking out and running laps. Glad your baby seems to be doing okay!

Ungoliant

Malleus Aranearum
Staff member
How long after this jump would I have to be worried about my Tarantula dying from the fall? He doesn't have clear injuries and was moving normally afterwards.
Slings can tolerate longer falls than large, bulky adults. If it doesn't have any obvious injuries and is moving and behaving normally, it's probably fine.

When rehousing small tarantulas, I work within a larger bin with catch cups and the bin lid nearby, so if the spider makes a bid for freedom, it's not totally loose in my home. The smooth walls of the bin buy you a little extra time to contain it, and if it's frantic, you can put the lid on the bin until it settles down.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I am new to tarantulas. Yesterday I got an about 3-4 in. female Avicularia avicularia and a 1-2 in. Brachypelma albpilosum. There were no issues transfering my Pink Toe to her terrarium, but my Curly Hair got out of my mom's hands and jumped from the countertop to the floor. This was probably a 2-3 ft. jump. The curly hair proceeded to run across the floor before we got them into their enclosure. They didn't bite or flick hairs at anyone and seem to have been fine since this happened. The curly hair has burrowed into their substrate and come back out multiple times since last night. How long after this jump would I have to be worried about my Tarantula dying from the fall? He doesn't have clear injuries and was moving normally afterwards. I know falls can maim or kill tarantulas, but I don't know if it can be a delayed response or if death is always instantaneous. Thank you for any responses and answer you can provide! I apologize if this seems like it should be common sense, but I am still concerned about my Curly Hair dying because of this.

I HOPE you know Avics will jump as a defensive mech. at ANY height.

Johjie

Arachnopeon
I had a 1 inch P. Cambridgei bolt across my table and jump off during a rehouse. No noticeable damage and ate several meals afterwards. Weeks later it molted prematurely for what I believe to be an attempt to repair what was wrong with it and it passed away. Upon inspection, it's abdomen was clearly ruptured. That was about three weeks ago and it's siblings still haven't molted. It is sad and unfortunate but you have to learn what are good and bad methods to rehouse for you. I doubt there are any foolproof methods easily executed without experience.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Always rehouse on the floor.

Your sling is probably fine.