Brachypelma albopilosum sling has bad molt -- fatal?

laservet

Arachnopeon
This little Brachypelma albopilosum sling, about 1/2-3/4" long, had a molt adhere to its abdomen. Initially it acted as if nothing was wrong, spent most of its time in its burrow, came up to feed on pre killed roches. This is its second molt. I increased the saturation of the substrate, already moist, in the hopes that the molt would finish detaching or just break off leaving a little attached to the rump that hopefully would come off with the next molt. My concern at that time was if the molt prevent it from defecating, hard to tell how large an area was still attached.

Now I have a more serious concern. The past couple of days the T has been behaving abnormally, it's on the surface all the time and appears to be trying to drag the retained molt through the moss in an attempt to dislodge it. Unfortunately it may have pulled off some of its exoskeleton in the process, not completely sure if that's what the white in the close up crop of the photos represents. Today it is again hiding in its burrow, molt still attached.

First photo was taken with the T in its burrow, the molt appears to be attached over a fairly large area. The second was during its time on the surface trying to detach it, followed by a crop of that photo showing the molt still appearing to be attached to a much smaller area, a little white at the base concerned me. The fourth photo was a half day later, followed by a crop of that photo showing what appears to be more molt pulled off but a larger white area on the abdomen.

Is this little guy a goner? Tarantula Brachypelma albopilosum retained molt-3990.jpg Tarantula Brachypelma albopilosum retained molt-3993.jpg Tarantula Brachypelma albopilosum retained molt-3993-2.jpg Tarantula Brachypelma albopilosum retained molt-3995.jpg Tarantula Brachypelma albopilosum retained molt-3995-2.jpg

MissouriArachnophile

Arachnoknight
Haven't ran into this yet, typical I have helped with was a bit on the abdomen. This looks like the spinners are still in the molt and hopefully poop around it. Maybe one of the more knowledgeable folks responds quickly.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
How long ago was it when it molted?? This doesn't look too good to be honest, try a wet q-tip to try and at least try to get something done. From the looks of it, the spinnerets didn't molt out all the way. Really I would try to get the molt off. If it's past 3 days then sadly, most likely, the molt is hardened within the spinnerets. But it never hurts to try to soak it and pull off the old molt.

laservet

Arachnopeon
It's been at least three days and it's hiding deep in its burrow. Is there anything that can be put over a wound in the exoskeleton to protect the underlying tissue to protect it until the next molt? Surgical tissue glue?

I'd have to dig it out of the container. How do I hold it while I manipulate the shed? I'm worried I'd just squish the little thing, or just rip off the end of its abdomen. It's one of three little ones I bought from Pinchers and Pokies, Nicaraguan, three for $50. Moe, Larry and Curly. :) I figured starting with three I'd get at least one adult out of it, wasn't expecting attrition after only a few months. All three have molted once without incident, this one molted first of the three and it is the first to molt a second time. I've increased the moisture content of the already moist substrate for the other two as well, just in case that was a factor.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Yes, dig it out and at least try to remove the old moult. With the spinnerets stuck like this, it'll possibly obstruct the anus as well, which could result in impaction. Don't use glue on this area! It'll have the same effect.
Alas, I've to say you should've intervened much earlier when the moult was still wet and soft. :(

@boina wrote a great piece of advice about this: http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-stuck-in-its-molt-look-here-for-advice.306038/

I'd try to cover the T with a piece of slightly damp tissue paper while you work (this way you can restrain your sling without actually holding it).

cold blood

Staff member
You really need to remove such things quickly...it was such a simple fix, just pull it off....Looks bad now and the longer one waits, the harder it will be to remove.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The white stuff is poop which means that the anus currently isn't obstructed (at least not fully obstructed) but you want to try to remove the moult to make sure that it doesn't become obstructed.

Get the sling out onto a flat surface, hold the moult with tweezers, gently dab/roll the stuck area with a wet q-tip and let the spider pull away from the moult (keep a catch cup handy for it if frees itself and bolts).

Ideally you should have done this as soon as you noticed it was stuck.

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
If the molt has already hardened to the body, I'd remove as much as possible without hurting the spinnerets and then cut it so they can move independently. If that makes any sense.

Since the anus doesn't appear to be obstructed, I'd say this is non-fatal. Could possibly lose the spinnerets, and the only case where I've seen a T lose a spinneret, it never grew back even after several molts.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Do like the other have suggested, but uf it stuck, i mean REALLY STUCK then the only thing you can do is wait till it moults again and hopefully the old moult comes of with the new moult! The risk by pulling off an already hardend excuvia is that it most likly will pull of the new skin, especially on a spideling with soft skin. But it would have been better if a leg was stuck. Not good with the spinnerets and anus stuck like that! I hope all goes well for the little spiderling!

laservet

Arachnopeon
Thanks, all. I'll see what I can do when I get home from work tonight.

laservet

Arachnopeon
Update. Since there had been so much time between the molt and my asking for help here I decided to let nature take its course instead of intervening so late in the process. Three days ago I checked on it and it was out of its burrow and the molt was in the water dish. The T ducked into its burrow, I took some macro shots but couldn't get a clear enough shot of the rump to see if there was any damage to the spinnerets. Within the past couple of days the T has snatched a couple of pinhead roaches from its burrow entrance and is hanging out on the surface when it is dark, normal behavior, so I may have dodged a bullet.

FrDoc

Gen. 1:24-25
Arachnosupporter +
Update. Since there had been so much time between the molt and my asking for help here I decided to let nature take its course instead of intervening so late in the process. Three days ago I checked on it and it was out of its burrow and the molt was in the water dish. The T ducked into its burrow, I took some macro shots but couldn't get a clear enough shot of the rump to see if there was any damage to the spinnerets. Within the past couple of days the T has snatched a couple of pinhead roaches from its burrow entrance and is hanging out on the surface when it is dark, normal behavior, so I may have dodged a bullet.
Damaged spinnerets are a non-issue. I am glad to read things are apparently working out.

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Very good outcome, this could easily have turned nasty. Glad to hear the little one is okay

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Damaged spinnerets are a non-issue. I am glad to read things are apparently working out.
This. As long as food can go in and waste can come out, the T can hopefully make it to another molt to start the healing process.

laservet

Arachnopeon
So, think a higher moisture content in the substrate would have prevented the problem? It was moist, not wet, and the previous molt was fine.

Justin H

Arachnosquire
So, think a higher moisture content in the substrate would have prevented the problem? It was moist, not wet, and the previous molt was fine.
This is a common myth. Also, I can tell from your pictures that the substrate was more moist than necessary. IME it's common for the butt-end of a molt to get stuck; I've seen it quite a few times in crickets and beetle larvae.

Liquifin

Arachnoking
This is a common myth. Also, I can tell from your pictures that the substrate was more moist than necessary. IME it's common for the butt-end of a molt to get stuck; I've seen it quite a few times in crickets and beetle larvae.
Moist substrate is pre-caution for slings for dehydration. I've had a sling that completely molted and didn't move at all, which I immediately added moisture to sub, which it then started to drink and moved. Which soon it recovered completely after a couple of hours. But my goodness, are you saying that the spinnerets for your T.'s get stuck commonly? If that's the case, then something is wrong in your care. Or did you mean just beetles and crickets?

Justin H

Arachnosquire
Moist substrate is pre-caution for slings for dehydration. I've had a sling that completely molted and didn't move at all, which I immediately added moisture to sub, which it then started to drink and moved. Which soon it recovered completely after a couple of hours. But my goodness, are you saying that the spinnerets for your T.'s get stuck commonly? If that's the case, then something is wrong in your care. Or did you mean just beetles and crickets?
I meant that it's common for other molting organisms in general. I don't have that much experience with Ts. I use the example of crickets and beetle larvae, because I have a ton and they molt on a weekly basis. Out of the hundreds/thousands of molts in my care, I've seen it 4 or 5 times. I've had 1 death from it, a cricket.

edit: also, the common myth I was referring to was that low humidity is responsible for molt problems

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
It is more important for the tarantula to be well hydrated by drinking before they are moulting, than a moist surroundings! There are fluids between excuvia and new skin that are meant to help moulting.
I have never believd that they got moulting problems because the enclosures was to dry!? Maybe it has some importance for spider from humid areas, but they should be kept moist anyways, but like some do, increase the humidety for any speicies like a B smithi or a G rosea when they are about to mouIt i dont buy!. I cant see high humidety making a enormous difftence? But i am no arachnologist, so im not saying i am right, just my belief!

Last edited: