Brachypelma Albopilosum Sling Enclosure - Heating?

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Hello, All -

I am a newbie to Tarantula keeping. We are getting a 1.5-2" Curly Hair sling next week. I read these guys like to be in the 70s to 80s. Our house runs about those temperatures right now, but in November to March we go down to about 64-68F. How can I safely keep the enclosure warm—especially since it will be small (thinking of using a modified softball or baseball display case)?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Those are ok temps for a short time. But I wouldn't like that for more than a few days..

70+ is preferable.

I'd get a small heat mat, stat it so it can't overheat, and place it like 8" away from the cage. And be careful to keep a dish full. Cheaper than heating a whole room or closet with a space heater.

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
Thank you! That's really helpful. Should I lay the heater flat next to the enclosure or somehow rig it to be on its side? Also, are there good thermometers for small setups?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thank you! That's really helpful. Should I lay the heater flat next to the enclosure or somehow rig it to be on its side? Also, are there good thermometers for small setups?
I'd place it on the side, probably leaning against a wall. Then place the cage a little ways in front.

No, guages shouldn't be bothered with at all with tarantulas. Few are accurate and inexpensive. And all are unneeded.

Lil Paws

Arachnosquire
I'd place it on the side, probably leaning against a wall. Then place the cage a little ways in front.

No, guages shouldn't be bothered with at all with tarantulas. Few are accurate and inexpensive. And all are unneeded.
Thank you! Hmmm... Maybe I'll stick it on a cheapy bookend so I can move it closer or further to the setup?

Sana

Arachnoprince
Do be careful to keep an eye on it. Tarantulas (like most creatures on Earth) can dehydrate faster with the higher temps. A dedicated heat source should be closely watched if that's the route you take.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Thank you! Hmmm... Maybe I'll stick it on a cheapy bookend so I can move it closer or further to the setup?
That would work. Personally, I'd just lean it back on a wide desk and put the cage in front.

WoofSpider

Arachnosquire
Those are ok temps for a short time. But I wouldn't like that for more than a few days..

70+ is preferable.

I'd get a small heat mat, stat it so it can't overheat, and place it like 8" away from the cage. And be careful to keep a dish full. Cheaper than heating a whole room or closet with a space heater.
What does this mean? Why would the mat overheat anyway?

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
Stating a heat mat means installing some sort of thermometer that shuts the mat off if it goes above a certain temperature. A failsafe so to speak.

Cuz theyre not perfect, I don't know.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Some types of heatmat (mostly those which are used in the reptile hobby) get insanely hot because they're designed to provide high temps for herps.
A Theraphosid does not need those high temps, it just needs to stay above +/- 70F.
If you stick a heatmat directly on the enclosure, it creates a very hot spot. Theraphosidae automatically move towards heat, but if there's a heatmat that gets very hot, the spider can get injured or dehydrated very fast. If you stick a heat mat to the back of a cupboard, it heats the air around the enclosure, with no hot spots and thus no danger.
Or, if you do stick it to an enclosure, there needs to be a thermostat on it so you can program it to shut down when it gets too hot.