Brachypelma Albopilosum buried itself almost 2 months ago. Is it ok? And will it hibernate until spr

Dobe

Arachnopeon
My Brachypelma Albopilosum has been buried ever since I brought her/him home a month and a half ago. How long do they stay buried?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
It should be fine as long as it's abdomen is not shriveled. Just keep its water dish full and if you are worried about food just leave a prekilled feeder insect in the enclosure near the burrow entrance. Also, they will not hibernate. They are from Honduras, which is not exactly known for its winters. Could you send pictures of the enclosure and the tarantula if you can?

Dobe

Arachnopeon
It should be fine as long as it's abdomen is not shriveled. Just keep its water dish full and if you are worried about food just leave a prekilled feeder insect in the enclosure near the burrow entrance. Also, they will not hibernate. They are from Honduras, which is not exactly known for its winters. Could you send pictures of the enclosure and the tarantula if you can?
Hell yeah! Hold up...

IMG_20181206_143657665.jpg

I think it was out maybe a couple of hours then when I woke up later that evening, this is what I saw.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

The Seraph

Arachnolord
A few questions. How large is the tarantula, is the height from the top of the tank to the substrate at least 1.5 times the diagonal legspan of the tarantula, and how deep is it?

Never mind, I see now deep the substrate is now. Okay, so I would add in much more substrate until it is the height described in my previous post. If the tarantula calls it could severely injured itself at a height larger then that. Secondly, how large is it?

Dobe

Arachnopeon
A few questions. How large is the tarantula, is the height from the top of the tank to the substrate at least 1.5 times the diagonal legspan of the tarantula, and how deep is it?
Its about maybe 2 inches/juvey I believe.
As for the substrate dimensions, I put about 2 and half inches deep maybe and the enclosure is the one I bought from them. IMG_20181206_145527065.jpg

She/he should be ok? Right?

The Seraph

Arachnolord
I would add in more substrate until it is 1.5 time the length of the tarantula from the top of the cage to the top of the substrate. I would also get rid of those stones and wood. You do not need them. I would also put in a bottle cap as a water dish. Finally, how big was the abdomen last time you saw the tarantula? If it was large then you should not have to worry. It will most likely be fine. I would also make sure it is not molting when you put in more substrate.

Dobe

Arachnopeon
I would add in more substrate until it is 1.5 time the length of the tarantula from the top of the cage to the top of the substrate. I would also get rid of those stones and wood. You do not need them. I would also put in a bottle cap as a water dish. Finally, how big was the abdomen last time you saw the tarantula? If it was large then you should not have to worry. It will most likely be fine. I would also make sure it is not molting when you put in more substrate.
Ok cool will do, it's abdomen did appear dark before it burried tho but the size seemed normal.

Thanks for the advice, I guess your like my 3rd Arachnofriend! I'll keep you posted. I'm so excited about this hobby and the community!

The Seraph

Arachnolord
Thanks for the advice, I guess your like my 3rd Arachnofriend! I'll keep you posted. I'm so excited about this hobby and the community!
Thank you. I do hope you shall enjoy this hobby for many years to come as I and many others have.

cold blood

Staff member
This is pretty classic pre-molt behaviour....it's really just a waiting game now. It will likely be very hungry once it emerges....you can do the alterations suggested then.

Teal

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
You've received some great advice! Adding more sub is the important part.

I would also get rid of those stones and wood. You do not need them.
If you are going to advise *everyone* to take decorations out of their enclosures, can you please specify that it is your personal preference to do so? As there is NOTHING wrong with decorating enclosures with all manner of objects.

Dobe

Arachnopeon
This is pretty classic pre-molt behaviour....it's really just a waiting game now. It will likely be very hungry once it emerges....you can do the alterations suggested then.
Thanks you!

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Thanks you!
Once it emerges from its molt you can add more substrate. For now, you should add a 2 ounce souffle cup of water. It will be very thirsty. Wait until the fangs are black to feed it.

maroonZB

Arachnopeon
Contrary to what most here say I always dig up my buried spiders as I've had a bunch bury themselves and then die of dehydration. My theory is that they aren't equipped to come up for water since they evolved with rain as part of the environment. But as others said if you do unbury be very gentle as he's likely in premolt.

Dobe

Arachnopeon
Contrary to what most here say I always dig up my buried spiders as I've had a bunch bury themselves and then die of dehydration. My theory is that they aren't equipped to come up for water since they evolved with rain as part of the environment. But as others said if you do unbury be very gentle as he's likely in premolt.
How long did you wait before you dig them up? It's going on 2 months for mine.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
My B. albo buried itself the day after I got it. It was about the same size (~ 2"). It spent two whole months down under and then emerged perfectly healthy after its moult. :)

Just keep the water dish full and be patient. And please, don't dig them up! Worst case scenario, you'd dig them up while it's in the process of moulting which could be really bad, as in fatally bad. :eek:
Your spider knows what it's doing.

In these cases I always recommend reading @Tomoran's blog... read it, it'll help. :)

https://tomsbigspiders.com/2015/08/10/tarantula-buried-itself/

Patience is a virtue you have to learn when keeping tarantulas. :p

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
Contrary to what most here say I always dig up my buried spiders as I've had a bunch bury themselves and then die of dehydration
I dug up an invert once because I hadn't seen it in months. It was one of my pedes, and I found out the reason I hadn't seen her was because she was clutching eggs. She subsequently ate all of them, and I learned the lesson of if it doesn't want to be bothered then don't bother it.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Contrary to what most here say I always dig up my buried spiders as I've had a bunch bury themselves and then die of dehydration.
(When asked how long they were buried before exhuming them) 1-2 weeks.
That's probably a husbandry issue on your part then. The only time I've dug up a tarantula (apart from when rehousing stubborn fossorials) was when my 1.5" B. albiceps sealed herself in her burrow for over 4 months with no signs of being close to moulting (after I rehoused her she ate twice and then moulted).