Brachypelma albopilosum as starter T

Spidey77

Arachnopeon
Hi everyone. Looking to get my first T and have decided I’d like a curlyhair. I’ve been doing months of research before I start the hobby and would just like to know about anyone’s experience with a curlyhair. I know it’s ment to be a pretty docile new world

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
The best readily available beginner species you can get.

Generally good temperament, hardy, easy care, good eaters, decent growth rate, and they're adorable murder floofs (seriously, anyone who says that they're boring brown spiders deserves Theraphosa hairs in the eyes until they either go blind or see sense).

Spidey77

Arachnopeon
Thank you and she’s lovely Don’t know how they can be seen as boring or unremarkable looking they are beautiful.

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
Thank you and she’s lovely Don’t know how they can be seen as boring or unremarkable looking they are beautiful.
Thanks, she was my first tarantula over 2 and a half years ago and she's always been a sweetheart. She's a Honduran B. albopilosum (incorrectly regarded as the "Hobby Form") and they are even more underrated now since the Nicaraguan form (incorrectly regarded as the "True Form") became available and everyone started going gooey over them instead.
Both have similar care, the Nicaraguan form is slightly slower growing and slightly more skittish in my experience but that's the only real difference besides looks.

EVERYTHING @The Grym Reaper said!

P.S. Including the Theraphosa hairs.
Damn straight.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Mine is about 1.5 inches Diagonal Leg Span at the moment and it’s name is Fluffy. :D I suspect it’s male by looking at its ventral side. Fluffy is a fantastic little spider! He eats well and though a little skittish he is never bolty. Not a once has he kicked hairs at me. Mine is super active and loves his water dish. They are definitely an awesome first T.

chanda

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My first tarantula was a B. albopilosum sling that was given to me at an expo years ago. She is absolutely lovely and one of my favorites! She was a pretty fast grower, with a great appetite and generally a good disposition. She is not quite as consistently docile as my Grammostola porteri, but still a pretty laid-back spider. She is the only one of my spiders to have really gone through noticable "mood swings." (That's what earned her the name "Surly Temple" when she went through a stormy adolescent phase of threat poses and hair kicking - which she has fortunately outgrown!)

Definitely a good choice for a starter T!

decirp

Arachnopeon
I recently got my first T and I also got a Brachypelma A. I absolutely luv it. It is quite small still and stays hidden in its hide but eats every time I place a pre killed cricket in its enclosure. I highly recommend for your first T. Easy to care for , provide a nice hide , enough substrate so it can burrow and of course a water dish and your good to go. No misting required I slightly overfill the water dish occasionally and that’s about it. You can rely on people here providing you with sound advice. Stay away from most care sheets. I will say Tom Moran provides sound advice and great videos. I would also recommend checking out videos by EulersK. Both these two were a big help to me before I came across this excellent site. And when I say I am new I have had my T for approx two weeks now. Enjoy my friend and go and get that Brachy A.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Have 5 B. albos here, all raised from tiny slings. 2 I bought, 2 were surprise freebies, and 1 was sold to me as B. albiceps. They check a lot of boxes, especially for a new keeper.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My vote is a yes to the best beginner species too - I adore all of mine. My largest is a bulky 6+" female who has turned a little bit grumpy lately, but is still fabulous. I guess she has a bit less patience now that she is an adult.
They're hardy, fairly fast growing, have awesome appetites and never fast, and they are reasonably priced and easy to find. You can't go wrong.
DSC08505-2.jpg