brachypelma albopilosum aggressive?

Liquifin

Arachnoking
The issue is not the T. at all, it's you based on what you're doing. T's are quite lonesome inverts and preferred to be left alone rather than being touched or handled. Some T.'s can tolerate being handled, but it's highly discouraged since it can stress a T. out and so much more can go wrong. Judging by how your B. albo acts, I'm guessing it's a feeding response, so you might as well feed it or leave it alone. Because doing what you're doing, it's going to cause stress or many other things to go wrong. :embarrassed:

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I can’t see what was in the first post since it was edited, but I’ll chime in and say my juvie male B. albo loves to threat pose me when I walk by. And if I stay near the shelf he’ll slap the walls sometimes. However when I give water he’s an absolute angel.

Vanisher

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Thats right.
No, as a speicies as a whole thay are not defenssive, absolutly not agressive! There are individuals that may be more high strung then others of course, but is the speicies defenssive? No!
There are likely more Phormictopus cancerides that are calm, than B albopilosum that are defenssive!

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
None of them are aggressive - tarantulas are tolerant or defensive. In every single case that I have ever heard of someone claiming that their Brachypelma albopilosum is aggressive, it has boiled down to their enthusiastic feeding response. I can't imagine what someone would have to do to them for them to act in a manner than can be described as 'aggressive'. At best, they will flick their hair at you when they are annoyed.
Yes, they will turn and attack tongs sometimes - it's a feeding response. Yes, they will attack the water stream as you're filling their dish - it's a feeding response. If you are concerned, then scoop your crickets up into a vial and dump them in the enclosure, so you don't have to use the tongs, and do any other maintenance while they are happily ingesting their meal.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
My B. albo is very defensive. I got bitten by her (while being stupid, I nudged her away from the water dish with a finger so I could change it, bad human!).

The issue isn't aggressive/defensive animals. It's dumb humans like me who stick their fingers where they don't belong when we should be using tools.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
My B. albo is very defensive. I got bitten by her (while being stupid, I nudged her away from the water dish with a finger so I could change it, bad human!).
The issue isn't aggressive/defensive animals. It's dumb humans like me who stick their fingers where they don't belong when we should be using tools.
I would still chock that up to being a feeding response, though. And yes, tongs are a must have and should be used at all times. How big are they and what were the results of the bite?

cold blood

Staff member
None of them are aggressive - tarantulas are tolerant or defensive. In every single case that I have ever heard of someone claiming that their Brachypelma albopilosum is aggressive, it has boiled down to their enthusiastic feeding response. I can't imagine what someone would have to do to them for them to act in a manner than can be described as 'aggressive'. At best, they will flick their hair at you when they are annoyed.
Yes, they will turn and attack tongs sometimes - it's a feeding response. Yes, they will attack the water stream as you're filling their dish - it's a feeding response. If you are concerned, then scoop your crickets up into a vial and dump them in the enclosure, so you don't have to use the tongs, and do any other maintenance while they are happily ingesting their meal.
Right, when I start hearing about tarantulas chasing people down the street and starting trouble maybe I'll change my mind, till then their just defensive.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
I would still chock that up to being a feeding response, though. And yes, tongs are a must have and should be used at all times. How big are they and what were the results of the bite?
Around 3". No pain(?), just a slight tingly/numb sensation that lasted for two minutes. It was centralized to the tip of my finger. I really only noticed I got bitten a few minutes later when the symptoms started. I thought she had just smacked me and held on. I think I might have felt a pinch when I got myself tagged, but it was so minimal. No swelling, rash, or anything before or after the symptoms went away.

Dumb thing was that I had my stuff with me. I had a brush and my tongs right by her enclosure.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Around 3". No pain(?), just a slight tingly/numb sensation that lasted for two minutes. It was centralized to the tip of my finger. I really only noticed I got bitten a few minutes later when the symptoms started. I thought she had just smacked me and held on. I think I might have felt a pinch when I got myself tagged, but it was so minimal. No swelling, rash, or anything before or after the symptoms went away.
Dumb thing was that I had my stuff with me. I had a brush and my tongs right by her enclosure.
That sounds like a pretty typical response.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
That sounds like a pretty typical response.
Thought as much. Getting bitten by a budgie is way more painful both in the short and long term.

Those little buggers are painful to keep. I'd rather be bitten by Gumdrop again.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Thought as much. Getting bitten by a budgie is way more painful both in the short and long term.
Those little buggers are painful to keep. I'd rather be bitten by Gumdrop again.
A woman who regularly volunteers at the Toronto expos for TarCan, Hayley, always brings her two parrots to the expos. The male, Joey, is a little bit of a nasty fellow. He tricked me into giving him a high five and he grabbed my hand and bit me. It was not funny, they can do a lot of damage.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
A woman who regularly volunteers at the Toronto expos for TarCan, Hayley, always brings her two parrots to the expos. The male, Joey, is a little bit of a nasty fellow. He tricked me into giving him a high five and he grabbed my hand and bit me. It was not funny, they can do a lot of damage.
Tell me about it. I keep small parrots, and they're painful. Out of my flock of 13, only 3 haven't chomped me hard. I have a mischievous pair of lovebirds that will land on me and try to eat my flesh, but won't let me pet them. :drunk:

And then there's Ripley, my budgie. I have to towel her just to get her to bed if I don't want her to pulverize my fingers.

Tarantulas are so much safer. (Those are budgie bite scars on my hand).

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
Tell me about it. I keep small parrots, and they're painful. Out of my flock of 13, only 3 haven't chomped me hard. I have a mischievous pair of lovebirds that will land on me and try to eat my flesh, but won't let me pet them. :drunk:

And then there's Ripley, my budgie. I have to towel her just to get her to bed if I don't want her to pulverize my fingers.

Yikes, at least they aren’t as bad as cat bites. If a cat bites you hard and punctures enough to draw blood, the bacteria in their saliva can give you sepsis. My father got bit by my cat last year when she got out accidentally and almost got killed by our neighbour’s husky, she tore his hand and arm up really good and he had to get stitches, shots and like two different kinds of oral antibiotics. She is normally the sweetest thing, she was just out of her mind with fear at the time.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I’m also suspicious since the OP seemingly edited the original post that this was just someone trolling. Maybe I’m wrong, but that sure seems like a logical answer.

Garetyl

Arachnoknight
Yikes, at least they aren’t as bad as cat bites. If a cat bites you hard and punctures enough to draw blood, the bacteria in their saliva can give you sepsis. My father got bit by my cat last year when she got out accidentally and almost got killed by our neighbour’s husky, she tore his hand and arm up really good and he had to get stitches, shots and like two different kinds of oral antibiotics. She is normally the sweetest thing, she was just out of her mind with fear at the time.
At least your cat likes you. :pigeon: Ripley is full of nothing but hatred for all of humanity.

(Her nose looks weird because she's in breeding condition.)

Attachments

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
At least your cat likes you. :pigeon: Ripley is full of nothing but hatred for all of humanity.

(Her nose looks weird because she's in breeding condition.)
Awww! She’s so cute! But of course just bc she looks sweet and innocent, doesn’t mean she is. :angelic:

Mentat Ix

Arachnopeon
I've also got a defensive B. albo.

Its never affected anything since I don't try to handle it, but it has definitely surprised me from time to time during enclosure maintenance or watering.

Dman

Arachnosquire

I had an Indian ring neck parrot and that mofo would rip you up if she wanted to bite. She hated girls and was very aggressive. I gave her to an old Filipino man who had a male he wanted to breed. I warned him that his wife would be in danger any where near that bird. You know what he told me? He said "Good, after 40 years I will get some peace if even for a few minutes a day " What a savage! :D

Last edited: