Brachypelma albiceps sling enclosure questions

aphono

Arachnobaron
Picked up a B. albiceps tiny sling. It's around 1/4-ish. Suspect I know the answers but wanted to try asking about it first.

It came in this deli cup with extremely wet sub. What's the substrate and is it overly wet for this species/size? How about the container size?

Suggest rehouse to smaller container with cocofiber kept slightly moist/water dish for typical terrestrial or no?

balbiceps2.jpg

Devin B

Arachnobaron
The best enclosure for a dling that small is a condiment cup like what you have. The substrate shouldnt be soaking wet but damp. I I do is dampen about 1/4-1/2 of the substrate and leave the rest dry. If you have room for a small water dish then you can add one, I usually didnt have a water dish small enough.

Deeser

Arachnosquire
⬆ agree. And just to prepare you, as slings these are among the slowest growing I've ever seen, so that enclosure will last quite a while :) Mine has gone from a 1/2" sling to 3/4" sling in 1 year, and I feed all my ts a multiple times per week.

aphono

Arachnobaron
The best enclosure for a dling that small is a condiment cup like what you have. The substrate shouldnt be soaking wet but damp. I I do is dampen about 1/4-1/2 of the substrate and leave the rest dry. If you have room for a small water dish then you can add one, I usually didnt have a water dish small enough.
Thanks and what I was thinking too, except the cup seemed too big. Especially as it so far is a total pet sandgrain... Is this species known as contenders for pet rock status? It does not move for a full day or two.

I was thinking a smaller container would make prey/water dish detection much easier for it for the above reason.. but if this size is fine then I'll just change the substrate to cocofiber.

aphono

Arachnobaron
⬆ agree. And just to prepare you, as slings these are among the slowest growing I've ever seen, so that enclosure will last quite a while :) Mine has gone from a 1/2" sling to 3/4" sling in 1 year, and I feed all my ts a multiple times per week.
Oh boy.. picked up two Euathlus red slings at same size earlier this year.. both have molted twice already. Was prepared for glacial growth with those so that's okay I can handle it with this little one. Thanks for the heads up to put it in a nicer looking condiment cup since I'll be looking at that for a good while also.. :rolleyes:

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Thanks and what I was thinking too, except the cup seemed too big. Especially as it so far is a total pet sandgrain... Is this species known as contenders for pet rock status? It does not move for a full day or two.

I was thinking a smaller container would make prey/water dish detection much easier for it for the above reason.. but if this size is fine then I'll just change the substrate to cocofiber.
You can downsize no problem its really up to you. It will make it easier to keep track of ablnd if your thinking about changing substrate you might want to just do a rehouse to a smaller enclosure. I don't know if your T is a pet rockor not, I've only had a B. Hamorii and B. Albopilosum. Both of them seem to only move when feeding or at night.

I housed a T in a nacho cheese cup from taco bell until it grew out of it. They work well.

aphono

Arachnobaron
You can downsize no problem its really up to you. It will make it easier to keep track of ablnd if your thinking about changing substrate you might want to just do a rehouse to a smaller enclosure. I don't know if your T is a pet rockor not, I've only had a B. Hamorii and B. Albopilosum. Both of them seem to only move when feeding or at night.

I housed a T in a nacho cheese cup from taco bell until it grew out of it. They work well.
Great, an excuse to eat out! I was thinking of something like that or those wider 'pill bottles', perhaps little travel/art supply jars as those give a little better visibility while sitting on the bookcase.

It's easily the most immobile of anything. Only have two other Brachypelmas, both baumgartenis. I never caught them moving around on their own besides at feeding time, only noted they had changed locations or positions. This thing doesn't even move a leg from one day to the next.

Devin B

Arachnobaron
Great, an excuse to eat out! I was thinking of something like that or those wider 'pill bottles', perhaps little travel/art supply jars as those give a little better visibility while sitting on the bookcase.

It's easily the most immobile of anything. Only have two other Brachypelmas, both baumgartenis. I never caught them moving around on their own besides at feeding time, only noted they had changed locations or positions. This thing doesn't even move a leg from one day to the next.
If you just got it, it is probably just settling in still. That would be my guess.

Jermzy

Arachnopeon

thats funny, i used a small sauce container from little ceasers for my red rump

Sadie11

Arachnosquire
My albiceps was a pet rock when I first got her/him in October. She was about 1/2" then. She molted 5 days after I got her, and twice since then. I'd say she's just a little over an inch DLS now. She started rearranging her enclosure in November and hasn't stopped since. She is very curious, and has to check everything out. Never stops exploring. Not skittish or defensive at all. Very entertaining! Awesome little T!

Haha! I just realized this thread was from November! :banghead:

Last edited by a moderator:

aphono

Arachnobaron
Update: It seemed to do significantly better on DRY substrate with water dish. Became much less of a pet sand grain, ate and molted fairly regularly & activity level increased a good bit.

Hated having even a tiny spot of moist substrate- climbed walls every time, sometimes stress curled. Never did any of that when the substrate was dry.

Based on this one I'd recommend dry with water dish.