BP spider ID please

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hello Everyone!

Sorry for yet another "ID me" thread, but as I'm not so familiar with spiders I'd very much appreciate some help on this one.

I found it in the middle of a large concrete area in Budapest, Hungary. I initially thought it was plastic until it ran underneath my shoe to take cover from the sun. I had a spare terrarium at home so my plan is to feed it for a few days and release it in a more appropriate area.

I'm sure you pros will ID it right away, but I'd also be happy for suggestions for food and more natural environment.

Thank you in advance! :worship:

PS: for a sense of scale, it's body length exactly 2cm long (0.78")

ErikWestblom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a wolf spider. Probably a Lycosa sp. Not sure which one though :(

Wolf spiders make great pets! I have 3 at the moment, and they are all ferocious predators! I've seen some great wrestling matches with roaches and crickets :p

Make sure it has a few inches (like 8-10 cm) to make a burrow in. Peat or soil should make a great substrate. Maybe mix in some sand aswell. Looks decent on the pictures, but if you mix in some soil or peat, it should be easier for the spider to make a burrow. To help it out, you can poke your finger in the substrate to make a small burrow.

Anyway, great find! And great pics!

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's a wolf spider. Probably a Lycosa sp. Not sure which one though :(

Wolf spiders make great pets! I have 3 at the moment, and they are all ferocious predators! I've seen some great wrestling matches with roaches and crickets :p

Make sure it has a few inches (like 8-10 cm) to make a burrow in. Peat or soil should make a great substrate. Maybe mix in some sand aswell. Looks decent on the pictures, but if you mix in some soil or peat, it should be easier for the spider to make a burrow. To help it out, you can poke your finger in the substrate to make a small burrow.

Anyway, great find! And great pics!
Thank you very much for the reply and advice! Yeah, I'm liking the way this guy moves, goes from 0 to 100 in an instant. Although I didn't witness it, there's one less cricket in the tank so I'm assuming it was a late night snack. It's got a few really good hides where it seems comfortable, and it also seemed to enjoy the light misting it got this morning.

I'm probably going to let it go this weekend in a nice rocky area (unless someone tells me otherwise).

I've got to admit this experience has warmed me up to keeping a wolf spider to two, still not sold on T's though... ;)

Anyways, thanks again for your help!

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
i am always of the opinion that once you bring something home with you it should STAY home with you.... especially if you have fed it. (heh, Persephone)

though the odds of actually spreading some disease or mites to nature is probably relatively small on any given release the overall odds have to increase with each release

the fact of the matter is we know virtually nothing about bug disease, parasites, etc and we have to be as careful as possible. presumably one would release an animal back into nature because of some kind of respect or love for the animal... so the last thing one would want to do is not only kill that animal but kill hundreds, thousands, or millions of other bugs on accident

i would guess i have done more reading about bug diseases than most casual hobbyists and i have come to some conclusions: 1) as a hobby, we don't know anything... some ppl don't even seem to be aware their ARE even invert patho-organisms 2) there are a LOT of diseases already studied, ranging from prions, bacteria, and other microscopic invaders to molds, fungi, and other macroscopic, external invaders 3) there are some diseases that are insanely host specific, restricted to one species... but some diseases can jump across ORDERS and could potentially spread to all the say, spiders in a local area even though it is an exotic disease

anyhow, it is a pretty sweet spider and would probably make a cool pet. of course, everything i said definitely applies to babies and you probably have a gravid female so if you keep it you will potentially be faced with the same question a hundred-fold over later on

jsloan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
'm probably going to let it go this weekend in a nice rocky area (unless someone tells me otherwise).
Release it about where you found it. That's where it lives, after all. It'll be fine.

Nice spider, though! If it was me, I'd keep it. :)

szappan

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
cacoseraph said:
anyhow, it is a pretty sweet spider and would probably make a cool pet. of course, everything i said definitely applies to babies and you probably have a gravid female so if you keep it you will potentially be faced with the same question a hundred-fold over later on
cacoseraph?! Are you back?! Hope you stay man! :worship:
Very interesting post, I wouldn't have thought that'd be a concern... hmmm... but I think I may have found the perfect solution (keep reading).

jsloan said:
Release it about where you found it. That's where it lives, after all. It'll be fine.

Nice spider, though! If it was me, I'd keep it. :)
I know what you mean, but believe me, where I found it is a real concrete dump, used to be nice Roman ruins there but the commies decided to build a big dirty intersection over it... :wall: the place reeks drunks and urine. There is a field nearby, but it's just flat grass with no hides.

My new plan is this - I know a dealer that's really into spiders, all kinds, I'm meeting up with her today at a local Exotic Pet show, she'll dig it bigtime!

Geez... that sounds like one of those "oh Billy, we took Rex to a big farm where he can run and play with all the other animals!" type of story - but it's true! Here's a link as evidence.

I'm packing and leaving now! :cool: