Bought first tarantula three days ago, and have a few questions

Glorious d

Arachnopeon
I'm not sure what species she is; my daughter named her Maggie, but I call her pickles.
Being new and still learing and readimg alot as beginners do I was curious around how long it might take her to get accustomed to her new home. Shrs throwing webs all over the place, and seems skittish. Every time my daughter wanted to hold her she was okay with it, but began kicking hairs when she got back to her apartment.
She molted about a month ago, and was last fed on Saturday....today being a Monday. From what ive learned so far I'm guessing she's just getting used to her new home, but any input would be greatly appreciated! I want her to be happy and healthy and have a fun life.
20190622_152733.jpg

Killertut

Arachnosquire
yep, B. albopilosum.
post a pic of the whole enclosure please to see if everything is alright for your new pet.

Thekla

Arachnoprince
And please stop handling her. Your T gets absolutely nothing out of it, she'll only be stressed and worst case scenario, she could be dropped because of whatever reason or jump from your (daughter's) hand and die from the fall. :confused:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Why am I seeing so many new owners saying they handle their T's.... If you want to hold and cuddle something buy a dog, cat or hamster.

Urzeitmensch

Arachnosquire
Why am I seeing so many new owners saying they handle their T's.... If you want to hold and cuddle something buy a dog, cat or hamster.
Because if media covers Ts at all, they are often handled for the sake of the show. And "classic" pets, even reptiles are often handled.

And I can understand that one wants to know how the T feels like at some point. I have 13 Ts now and beside some slings making a run for it on my arm when rehousing I have never touched one, so I am curious how they feel.

And you have to admit, they look cuddly, especially the B. Albopilosum. :D

Seriously, though: I agree that you should not handle them at all if there is no compelling reason to do so.

Potatatas

Arachnoknight
Welcome to the hobby! Great looking albo and a good choice for your first. As mentioned above post a pic of your enclosure and we'll give you some advice on whether it's setup right. There's a lot of misinformation on how to house a tarantula, especially from pet shops who you would expect to know how to keep the animals they sell! But you're in the right place to find out how to properly care for her.

Some of the users here are kinda blunt when they give advice so don't get too put off! Many here often care more about the animal than the persons feelings.

Also handling is a controversial subject when it comes to tarantulas and especially on this forum. Best not to mention it here.
Personally, I don't see a problem with handling as long as you know the risks and are handling the right species. Handling does nothing for your tarantula, and likely stresses it out. It also puts your tarantula at risk of falling which can be fatal. Plus the risk of it biting and hairing you. If it bites, you're likely to throw it across the room as a natural reaction.

It is your choice to handle but be aware of these risks and know that it is completely for your own benefit at the risk of your T. Most people choose not to handle as they see it as an unnecessary risk. Think of Ts more like fish. Look but don't touch.

And enjoy your new family member!

Asgiliath

Arachnobaron
Not gonna lie, when I was looking into the first species to get, I was interested in something I could easily handle...but, I had really only interacted with a g rosea at an exotics presentation that they were letting all of the guests hold.

Thank god, I did about a year of more research so I knew better by the time I got my first T.

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Thank god, I did about a year of more research so I knew better by the time I got my first T.
You researched a year?? When i saw my 1st T i was 14, got it the next day with lunch money...Mother found out when i was 18 that I had T's :dead::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The Grym Reaper

Arachnoreaper
You researched a year?? When i saw my 1st T i was 14, got it the next day with lunch money...Mother found out when i was 18 that I had T's :dead::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I spent about a month researching tarantulas before I got my first, did the same before getting my corn snake and leopard gecko too. I prefer to be as prepared as I can in advance rather than just impulse buy an animal and then have to learn everything from scratch as I go.

abcdave88

Arachnopeon
I spent about a month researching tarantulas before I got my first, did the same before getting my corn snake and leopard gecko too. I prefer to be as prepared as I can in advance rather than just impulse buy an animal and then have to learn everything from scratch as I go.
Especially when it's an animal that lives for 20+ years, I spent about 6/8 weeks mulling this over. Saying that I did have a brief moment after I got my first Twhere I was thinking "What have you done" but overall I'm very happy.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Post a full pic of entire setup- think yours is not setup right

It can take weeks for them to move in

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
Full agr
Fully agree, I do my research now but at the time I was 14 years old, not much brains between the ears if I'm honest :rofl:

Glorious d

Arachnopeon
I will post an update later, and more suitable reply. Pickles is happy now after putting some webs down. 20190626_001310.jpg how freking cute is that? 20190626_001300.jpg shes never in her hide except to web in it

Welcome to the hobby! Looks like a Brachypelma albopilosum, or Curly Hair tarantula; great beginner species!

Thanks,

Arthroverts

I'd also recommend you to check out this thread for more information:
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-information-for-beginners-and-more.318718/

Hope this helps,

Arthroverts
Thanks these links helped alot, and am still leanring from them.

yep, B. albopilosum.
post a pic of the whole enclosure please to see if everything is alright for your new pet.
Will do after work.

And please stop handling her. Your T gets absolutely nothing out of it, she'll only be stressed and worst case scenario, she could be dropped because of whatever reason or jump from your (daughter's) hand and die from the fall. :confused:
Thanks for the advice. I will take that under advisement, but my daughter is pretty hands on, is under srtict supervision when handling her.

We don't want a dog or cat oe especially hamster! We like spiders, and I wanted something low maintenance. Spiders are almost next to none. nevertheless thanks for the input

Last edited by a moderator:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
is under srtict supervision when handling her.
I don't think the problem is with supervision, you are missing the point.

The T does not care if your daughter is under strict supervision, one day the T might just decide to bolt or worse case to bite. No matter how strict your supervision is or how hands on your daughter is she will drop the T when it bites, trust me I have been bitten and it hurts like hell. When you drop a T (especially terrestrial) the chances of the T rupturing it's abdomen or getting seriously injured is almost guaranteed. (This means death in most cases)

But it is your pet and I can't tell you what to do :)

Good luck.

Glorious d

Arachnopeon
Welcome to the hobby! Great looking albo and a good choice for your first. As mentioned above post a pic of your enclosure and we'll give you some advice on whether it's setup right. There's a lot of misinformation on how to house a tarantula, especially from pet shops who you would expect to know how to keep the animals they sell! But you're in the right place to find out how to properly care for her.

Some of the users here are kinda blunt when they give advice so don't get too put off! Many here often care more about the animal than the persons feelings.

Also handling is a controversial subject when it comes to tarantulas and especially on this forum. Best not to mention it here.
Personally, I don't see a problem with handling as long as you know the risks and are handling the right species. Handling does nothing for your tarantula, and likely stresses it out. It also puts your tarantula at risk of falling which can be fatal. Plus the risk of it biting and hairing you. If it bites, you're likely to throw it across the room as a natural reaction.

It is your choice to handle but be aware of these risks and know that it is completely for your own benefit at the risk of your T. Most people choose not to handle as they see it as an unnecessary risk. Think of Ts more like fish. Look but don't touch.

And enjoy your new family member!
I appreciate your advice. I'm not worried one bit about people's fellings in regards to handling pickles. We are always overly cautious and love her to bits.
My daughter has absolutely zero ussue about possibly being bitten as you can see here- 2019060995172203.jpg

Because if media covers Ts at all, they are often handled for the sake of the show. And "classic" pets, even reptiles are often handled.

And I can understand that one wants to know how the T feels like at some point. I have 13 Ts now and beside some slings making a run for it on my arm when rehousing I have never touched one, so I am curious how they feel.

And you have to admit, they look cuddly, especially the B. Albopilosum. :D

Seriously, though: I agree that you should not handle them at all if there is no compelling reason to do so.
there is nothing but compelling reason to do so. (At least for her; I do not handle her.)Thanks for stopping by

Last edited by a moderator:

MBArachnids

Arachnoknight
My daughter has absolutely zero ussue about possibly being bitten
Oh my.

No one on the boards cares about your daughter being bitten....

WE CARE ABOUT THE TARANTULA THAT SHE WILL DROP OR THROW ACROSS THE ROOM. You daughters well being is secondary in this instance.:banghead: