Bothriurus Coriaceus Help

Pilotoloto

Arachnopeon
Hi all, first post, so sorry in advance if this is a little long. A few days ago I got a small Chilean Dwarf Black Scorpion (Bothriurus Coriaceus). Based on what little info I was able to find online, They're from a relatively cool dry, dry area of Chile. I've been keeping it in a small Exo Terra Faunarium on about 2" of 100% Eco Earth at room temp. It's got a cork hide and a small water dish with at least a few drops available at all times, but other than that, I haven't added any more moisture. When I put it in it's new home, it explored pretty actively for a while before settling down under it's hide. The next day it started burrowing, and it's been underground ever since. Normally I wouldn't be worried, but two days ago it covered up the entrance to It's tunnel and started getting fat, even though I haven'y been able to feed it yet. It's main chamber is right against the side, so I covered that with paper, but I check every now and then to make sure it's ok. Is it getting ready to Molt? Is it possible that it's gravid? I took a picture, but the quality isn't very good. I put a small roach in to see if it would come out, and it did turn around and move towards the entrance, but not much else. Any help would be greatly Appreciated.

Attachments

RTTB

Arachnoprince
My experience with this species is they love to dig and stay underground. Give them about 4” of substrate semi moist.

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Could be ready to molt or possibly birth if it is Gravid
Alot of Gravid females will block the entrance to their burrow to start birthing but it could just covered the entrance in the process of digging the burrow too
In either case if it's refusing food - I wouldn't be alarmed if it doesn't eat right away or even a week or 2 later that's all normal behavior for either case
Very cool little species in either case
Hope she is Gravid and has a nice brood for ya :)

Pilotoloto

Arachnopeon
My experience with this species is they love to dig and stay underground. Give them about 4” of substrate semi moist.
Thanks! I'll add some more once she's a little more used to her surroundings.

Pilotoloto

Arachnopeon
Could be ready to molt or possibly birth if it is Gravid
Alot of Gravid females will block the entrance to their burrow to start birthing but it could just covered the entrance in the process of digging the burrow too
In either case if it's refusing food - I wouldn't be alarmed if it doesn't eat right away or even a week or 2 later that's all normal behavior for either case
Very cool little species in either case
Hope she is Gravid and has a nice brood for ya :)
Thanks, is there a way to tell gravid vs. Premolt? This is actually my first scorpion so...

Scorpionluva

Arachnoangel
Thanks, is there a way to tell gravid vs. Premolt? This is actually my first scorpion so...
It's really hard to tell from your pic but usually you will be able to see little babies moving around in her sides if she is Gravid and if it is just premolt the coloration of the scorp will become dull and hazy even though your pic is kinda hazy - her color looks vivid still so I'm gonna say she could possibly be Gravid
An endoscope could help see the embryos in her sides if she is Gravid

Pilotoloto

Arachnopeon
It's really hard to tell from your pic but usually you will be able to see little babies moving around in her sides if she is Gravid and if it is just premolt the coloration of the scorp will become dull and hazy even though your pic is kinda hazy - her color looks vivid still so I'm gonna say she could possibly be Gravid
An endoscope could help see the embryos in her sides if she is Gravid
Thank you so much. It's hard to get a good picture, but when I add substrate in a few weeks I'll try to get a better one.

Daniel Edwards

Arachnoknight
I'll follow this thread since I recently got one too. Mine is on the lowest shelf in my bug room (coolest spot in there). Set up just like my centipedes but drier. So far she loves her broken flower pot hide best. Mine also looks fat, glossy and gravid. Where did you find yours?

Pilotoloto

Arachnopeon
I'll follow this thread since I recently got one too. Mine is on the lowest shelf in my bug room (coolest spot in there). Set up just like my centipedes but drier. So far she loves her broken flower pot hide best. Mine also looks fat, glossy and gravid. Where did you find yours?
They had them for Like $20 at the LLLreptile by my house, I think they have them online still too.