Boots is sick again

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
If you guys remember a while I had an Avic avic that has a wet molt. Well everything has been going well until last night. I noticed she was sitting in almost a death curl. I was able to flip her upside down and saw that she was possibly bleeding. I also noticed her spinnerets look swollen. I dont know whats going on but im keeping her hydrated to the best of my ability. Any tips or information would be great!

Attachments

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I can't definitely tell from the picture, but it looks like nematodes. Does the white stuff move?

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
I can't definitely tell from the picture, but it looks like nematodes. Does the white stuff move?
i have her right now and there is no movement that i can see of but she is barely moving. Im so heart broken i dont know what to do

Paul1126

Arachnoangel
i have her right now and there is no movement that i can see of but she is barely moving. Im so heart broken i dont know what to do
No the stuff on her fangs, do they move? take a close look, normally if that is the case it is never good. Usually means a already dead or dying T.

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
No the stuff on her fangs, do they move? take a close look, normally if that is the case it is never good. Usually means a already dead or dying T.
Sorry my reply wasnt clear. There is no movement from the white stuff on her fangs.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
A lot of A. avics are wild caught and that poses a risk of having parasites. The white stuff on her mouth parts could be as Andrea said, indicative of nematodes, a type of parasitic worm. I'm really sorry about your tarantula. This is just one of the reasons why purchasing captive bred spiders is better than risking having something like this happen. I'm sorry but there's nothing you can do. If it were mine I'd probably put it 15 min in the fridge and then 15 minutes in the freezer to euthanise it.

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
A lot of A. avics are wild caught and that poses a risk of having parasites. The white stuff on her mouth parts could be as Andrea said, indicative of nematodes, a type of parasitic worm. I'm really sorry about your tarantula. This is just one of the reasons why purchasing captive bred spiders is better than risking having something like this happen. I'm sorry but there's nothing you can do. If it were mine I'd probably put it 15 min in the fridge and then 15 minutes in the freezer to euthanise it.
Thank you for your help. Is there a risk to my other tarantulas with this stuff

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
There's some speculation that it can be transferred by flies buzzing around the enclosures, but that is by no means scientific 'fact'. If your other Ts look and behave fine, I don't think I'd worry too much. But there are people here who would recommend quarantining the sick spider (if you still want to try to help it) in a different room or floor. Just remember it's not as if they are sharing substrate or anything, so odds are still super low that the others could come in contact with it.

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
There's some speculation that it can be transferred by flies buzzing around the enclosures, but that is by no means scientific 'fact'. If your other Ts look and behave fine, I don't think I'd worry too much. But there are people here who would recommend quarantining the sick spider (if you still want to try to help it) in a different room or floor. Just remember it's not as if they are sharing substrate or anything, so odds are still super low that the others could come in contact with it.
It would be too late to quarantine now. I will keep a close eye on everyone. I had another avic close to her so i will keep a close on her for sure.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
If they were in fact nematodes, quarantine would still be important. Keep this spider away from the rest, use only one pair of utensils on this spider, and another on the others.
Did you buy it from a pet store or a breeder? Do you know if it was wild-caught or captive bred?

The swelling of its abdomen and 'bump' nearby its spinnerets could also indicate impaction.

I'm afraid Theraphosidae-health care just isn't advanced enough yet to know and successfully treat all causes of illness. :(

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
If they were in fact nematodes, quarantine would still be important. Keep this spider away from the rest, use only one pair of utensils on this spider, and another on the others.

Did you buy it from a pet store or a breeder? Do you know if it was wild-caught or captive bred?

The swelling of its abdomen and 'bump' nearby its spinnerets could also indicate impaction.

I'm afraid Theraphosidae-health care just isn't advanced enough yet to know and successfully treat all causes of illness. :(

So I don’t think it’s nematodes. I was actually able to wipe away the whiteness. My boyfriend is actually able to undo the piece that was keeping her impacted. She is now pooping and out which in her legs and actually moving. I tried earlier when this first happened to get that off but I couldn’t do it so I assumed it was just her skin. I’m keeping her hydrated by putting water droplets on her mouth. She’s definitely moving a lot more than she was before

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Also this.
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/tarantula-icu.302009/

There is the possibility of making a tarantula ICU using a small container and wet paper towel but it seems recommended only in a last ditch effort.
No no no, do not put an Avicularia species in an ICU!
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Moist stuffy enclosures KILL Avicularia species. I wish I could clear all these ridiculous claims of ICU being a recommended treatment from the entire internet! If you are worried about dehydration, get the spider to water via waterdish or droplets, which OP is already doing.

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
As @Andrea82 said, ICU's should be utterly forgotten about and never ever used because they basically ensure that a sick spider will die due to A) The lack of airflow in a small container and B) The stuffiness created by having wet paper towels evaporate and make it so the tarantula cannot breathe properly.

I don't know why a certain author who I shall not name decided this was a good idea, seeing as how tarantulas cannot absorb water through their exoskeletons and cannot drink easily unless they have actual clear clean standing water. I feel so bad for the hundreds of tarantulas who have no chance because a new owner tries this based on a recommendation from someone who heard about it in the book which the aforementioned author wrote. Please take this to heart and save your spiders!

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately Boots passed away last night. Me and my boyfriend did everything we could. Im so heart broken. She was my first tarantula and she went way too soon. Thank you for all the support and help! I appreciate it so much. Without you guys she would have never even lasted this long after her bad wet molt. Thanks again for everything❤

EtienneN

Arachno-enigma
I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s awful when these things happen that are completely out of our control.

Emmaalyse

Arachnosquire
I’m so sorry for your loss. It’s awful when these things happen that are completely out of our control.
Yeah it does. I just keep crying on and off. I finally cleaned out her enclosure but I haven’t been able to
Open the freezer. I have her pinned and i have her in the freezer. Does anyone happen to know how long you keep them in there until they are ready to be mounted in a shadow box?