Bonsai Basics?

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
I'd never heard of them, they're incredible!

http://bonsaibark.com/2009/11/15/the-manzanita-mystery/ From what I'm reading it sounds like they don't thrive in captivity without the right fungi, too bad
They also produce berries. Had a huge clump of them, several hundred feet across up near 8500 feet in the Sierras and our trail ran right through it. At berry time of year the bears would hang out in the clump. Just their odor would spook the horses, let alone a bear suddenly making an appearance near the trail. The berries are delicious and there are recipes for them.

The clump died when a fire raged through. How twisted they grow depends on the bonsai effect from poor soil. These picture had nutrient rich soil so they weren't as dwarfed. You can see regrowth at the base of several. The fire had gone through 2 years earlier which shows how slow they grow. The leaves aren't dusty green on young plants but vibrant until the plant begins to mature.

Last edited:

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
LythSalicaria casts level 5 Thread Necromancy...

Right on, I was about to post a new thread to document the progress of my first attempt at growing bonsai and I happened to see this one. Figured I'd just post here instead. :p

Cavedweller, are you still into this at all? Have you got a tree going? Would be cool to see pics if you do! :)

I trimmed some promising-looking stems off the old crabapple tree in my yard today. I'm pretty sure it's one of three possible cultivars - Mary Potter, Red Jewel or Red Jade. Mary Potter seems the most likely - the one in my back yard closely matches the description I found on Michigan State University's "Gardening in Michigan" website.

"The flowers may be produced heavily only every other year..."

Check. This tree has consistently had a lean year followed by a heavy one ever since we moved to this property in 2005.

"...The red fruits persist and are attractive to birds." Double check. Many of the fruits cling to the branches throughout the winter and well into spring, sometimes even summer. It takes either active manipulation or a very stiff wind to knock the apples out of the trees. I wish the description went into greater detail. >_< If anyone knows of any better resources for identifying various tree cultivars, please let me know.

The document I used to help identify my tree can be viewed here. At the very least it's a good starting point for anyone wanting to try their hand at crabapple bonsai, and it does cover any weaknesses or resistances each cultivar might have at the very least.

I mainly chose this cultivar because of convenience - with free clippings to be had in my back yard, why would I look any further? As an added bonus, apparently crabapple can be a good choice for a novice grower due to the fact that many species are very hardy as well as easy to propagate from stem clippings. Their only downside is that they need a period of dormancy every year in order to produce new growth in the spring, so if you're living in an arid, tropical or semi-tropical climate, they're not the best choice. I imagine there could be ways to work around this for someone with the funds and the know-how though.

Will post some pics of my efforts soon. :D

ETA: Oh, also, Cavedweller, if you -are- still into bonsai, I've found a few sites that are very informative. If you want links, just shoot me a PM.

Last edited:

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I would love to see pictures of your progress! I've got a couple pages bookmarked already but I'm always happy to have more resources, you can put them here in the thread if you like.

I've got some Crassula cuttings growing now. I'd like to try shaping them when they get bigger. Unfortunately my new apartment doesn't have a porch (am I the only one who thinks that's super weird?), so that kinda limits my plant options.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I've seen small forests of mini oaks and maples at a botanical garden; they were very very cool

LythSalicaria

Arachnosquire
I would love to see pictures of your progress! I've got a couple pages bookmarked already but I'm always happy to have more resources, you can put them here in the thread if you like.

I've got some Crassula cuttings growing now. I'd like to try shaping them when they get bigger. Unfortunately my new apartment doesn't have a porch (am I the only one who thinks that's super weird?), so that kinda limits my plant options.
Right on, Crassula are gorgeous little plants. :)

I was concerned that linking to the sites here might be a rule violation, but I read through the forum rules again and I don't see anything to indicate that. So...Linkage!

Bonsai Empire - I've been spending a lot of time on this site. They have an exhaustive list of articles for beginners that cover everything from cultivation to styling techniques. They also have a great forum.

Bonsai Nut - This place has a much larger community, and while this can be a double-edged sword (bigger community = more drama), it's worth checking out if only for the wealth of information contained therein, as well as the ability to make contact with and learn from experienced hobbyists.

I got a nasty surprise yesterday morning - my crabapple cuttings got trashed. :( I had MacGuyvered a greenhouse tent that I assumed would protect them from animals, but I didn't think about the possibility of raccoons taking interest. They're the most likely culprit (or maybe a Tanuki is messing with me :laugh:). If they can bust open a locked garbage can, a jury-rigged greenhouse would be an afterthought. :mad: I managed to save the stems and get them re-potted before the leaves started wilting so I haven't lost hope on them yet, but if this happens again I'm just going to get myself a little Juniper to work with instead - conifers aren't very appealing to critters, usually.

Will update with pics soon. :)

viper69 said:
I've seen small forests of mini oaks and maples at a botanical garden; they were very very cool
I know, right? Thanks to Mr. Miyagi and Daniel-san I've been fascinated by the art-form for years. While I was still on Facebook I followed pages related to Bonsai competitions; pretty much every day they posted pictures of Bonsai that were anywhere from 25 to over 100 years old. Their beauty was beyond description; thinking of how much work went into them boggles the mind.

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Thanks for those links! I'll have to check em out. What the heck kind of drama can a bonsai community produce? That's supposed to be a relaxing hobby!

That sucks about your cuttings, I didn't realize raccoons went after stuff like that. They weren't trying to eat them, were they?

One of my jade plant cuttings has grown a lot since I got it last year, and it's even sent out a new shoot. I'll have to divide it when the weather dries out. I can't decide what shape I'd like to train these into, though. Hopefully those sites will give me some inspiration.

awiec

Arachnoprince
For your question about the crab apple, you might want to get a botanical key. Sure there is a lot of latin terms that you have to know but they are pretty handy and even have some cultivars listed in them. I'll have to stop being a slacker and post my trees, I've been officially doing the bonsai thing for 3 years but have always had potted plants that I've shaped (I had a really nice hibiscus for almost 7 years).

DETHCHEEZ

Arachnosquire
It's Sunday & I'm being lazy & enjoying it
But I'll post some pics of some of my shall we say "Non Traditional" Bonsais
I have around IDK 20 some
None of which were store bought
With my oldest ones being in about the 8 year old range

This doesn't apply to plants started from cuttings
But if the plant was grown from seed
*You Need To Cut The Tap Root*

Cavedweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can't tease me like that! Now I'm really curious what you've got in your collection.

"Non traditional" in quotes like that does sound super shady though hahaha

awiec

Arachnoprince
You can't tease me like that! Now I'm really curious what you've got in your collection.

"Non traditional" in quotes like that does sound super shady though hahaha
If it's a woody stemmed plant, you can bonsai it and I have a few weird bonsai myself. I have this one Puerto Rican plant that I've been working on for over a year and it's finally looking like a proper bonsai. Im going to get this south american fruit bush soon as a future subject.

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Pachyforms

Look into Pachyforms, the art of succulent bonsai. Phileppe De Vosjoli and Rudy Lime have 2 books out that are mind boggling. My favorite species is Operculicarya decaryi, or Jabily Tree. Look up bonsais of those. Also Bursera fagaroides and mirophylla. Another cool type of plant is caudiciforms. Google Dioscorea elephantipes and Fockea edulis in both natural and bonsai forms. The books are titled Pachyforms Volume 1 and 2 and available on Amazon for around $40 each. Both must haves. If you have any other questions on bonsai or Pachyforms, PM me and I will be glad to talk plants :)

varanoid

Arachnopeon
Look into Pachyforms, the art of succulent bonsai. Phileppe De Vosjoli and Rudy Lime have 2 books out that are mind boggling. My favorite species is Operculicarya decaryi, or Jabily Tree. Look up bonsais of those. Also Bursera fagaroides and mirophylla. Another cool type of plant is caudiciforms. Google Dioscorea elephantipes and Fockea edulis in both natural and bonsai forms. The books are titled Pachyforms Volume 1 and 2 and available on Amazon for around $40 each. Both must haves. If you have any other questions on bonsai or Pachyforms, PM me and I will be glad to talk plants :)

Bonsai is a very cool hobby that I dabble in a little. There are some great Youtube channels on the subject and recommend you look into them. I have read several books on the subject, but what I read didn't make as much sense until I saw it put to action on some of the videos. Best of luck.