Bonding plexiglass to a sterilite box

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Im trying to build an arboreal enclosure out of a sterilite box and the bottom piece of plexiglass keeps peeling off. Ive tried silicone and epoxy, both did the same thing in the same place. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. The picture shows what it looked like before it started coming off. Pretty much exactly how i saw it in my head.

Attachments

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
Sterilite is not forthcoming with info on their product line. The general rule with their plastics is they are stable, resisting both chemicals and thermal changes. IE They are designed to not allow anything to stick to them. You might try high temp hot glue. Or as a last resort, nuts and bolts.

I've encountered Sterilite before when the lab at the hospital wanted to know specifically about reactivity* with their plastics. IE JCAH on one end, a tight lipped company on the other. Sterilite offered up independent lab tests on certain products giving assurances but no MSDS info.

* Ordinarily an adhesive must either hermetically (silicone glues), chemically or thermally interact with the surface in order to bond. Sterilite products are designed to resist all three.

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Won't say hot glue won't work. However hot glue is crap. Would never use it for your purposes. I had hot glue with 2 plastics, they fall apart in less than a year.

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Drill two small close together holes in the outside lip of the sterilite tub through the tub and plexiglass. Then use a small plastic zip tie to secure it. the silicone in place will become the gasket and the zip ties will hold it all together.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Drill two small close together holes in the outside lip of the sterilite tub through the tub and plexiglass. Then use a small plastic zip tie to secure it. the silicone in place will become the gasket and the zip ties will hold it all together.
Just an update, this idea was truly genius and worked great! Thank you!