Bold Jumping Spider help!

redsniper

Arachnopeon
Tonight after I researched the sex differences between Phidippus audax's, I attempted to breed my adult male with the female I have. Now I'm not sure if the female is mature yet or not- she is large, but one of her spots is still a bit orange, so I'm unsure if she's at the age she can mate.

However, right when my male saw her, he jumped right onto her and attacked- no warnings or anything. Luckily I brushed the two apart quickly, but I do think my female was bitten... will she be okay, and were they just not compatible?

I'd really like to not lose my girl, as she's the first bold jumper I've found, so she means a lot to me.

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Jumpers are pretty aggressive when it comes to mating. If you leave them alone unsupervised you tend to end up with just one in the end. I'd keep them separate for now and see how the female does. She might not be mature yet or the male might have been a little too aggressive in his mating attempts. It may help to give each one a snack right before you put them together again so the hungry edge gets taken off a bit.

redsniper

Arachnopeon
Jumpers are pretty aggressive when it comes to mating. If you leave them alone unsupervised you tend to end up with just one in the end. I'd keep them separate for now and see how the female does. She might not be mature yet or the male might have been a little too aggressive in his mating attempts. It may help to give each one a snack right before you put them together again so the hungry edge gets taken off a bit.
Luckily she's still jumping so I'm glad I decided to stay and supervise while they attempted. I was surprised that he made the attack on her, since I've only ever hear of the female attacking first- but she did accept the cricket I fed her, while he did not.

Hopefully next time I'll either have found myself a different pair, or they'll get along better! Thank you, cheers

pannaking22

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
They're definitely odd when it comes to behavior between individuals. Aggression is pretty much instant, even when a female is receptive to mating. You might also want to try finding another male. Maybe he'll be better suited to mating than the current one.