Board member leaving hobby .. Thank you

boina

Lady of the mites
They don't love, think, or even care.
You cannot prove that! How do you know a tarantula sitting in her burrow isn't thinking deep thoughts that explain the universe?

Anyway, jokes aside, I understand @basin79 thoughts in this point. To call a living animal - any living animal - a 'hobby' is a bit disrespectful when it comes down to it. I prefer tarantula keeper where it fits, though I will use the term hobby if the sentences will get to convoluted otherwise.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
You cannot prove that! How do you know a tarantula sitting in her burrow isn't thinking deep thoughts that explain the universe?

Anyway, jokes aside, I understand @basin79 thoughts in this point. To call a living animal - any living animal - a 'hobby' is a bit disrespectful when it comes down to it. I prefer tarantula keeper where it fits, though I will use the term hobby if the sentences will get to convoluted otherwise.
Prove me otherwise. But you're right, that's an educated guess, not a fact.

Disrespectful? To an unthinking animal? I'll live with myself.

Stormsky

Arachnopeon

When I think of it, I don't really consider the animal itself the hobby, but the buying/keeping/breeding of them the hobby. The animals themselves I would still consider pets, no matter how many you have.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
Well...by definition:

"an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation"

So if one keeps tarantulas as a main occupation (we'll say "for a living" for the purpose of this discussion), would there be a debate on whether it should be called a business? Seems like a bit of semantics to me. Does a person who has a lot of tarantulas have a collection? I guess the question is, should those sort of terms be applied to living things? I think "collection" is a tad less appealing than "hobby", but at the end of the day it doesn't really matter to me. But, I think it matters even less to tarantulas.

Hannahs Herps

Arachnopeon
I don't think calling tarantula keeping a hobby is disrespectful at all. Hobbies are things people like to do so much that they spend their time researching and learning about said hobby to become good at it. Hobbies are often passions. To be passionate about tarantulas does not seem disrespectful in the slightest. Perhaps "collection" may seem slightly... cold. But when people have 40 tarantulas, what else would you call it? An accumulation of tarantulas? A compilation of species? A collection seems most fitting to me.

Tim Benzedrine

Prankster Possum
Old Timer
I actually have an answer for that.

You have things like "a flock of birds. "a pod of whales", "a murder of crows", "a school of fish, etc.

Well, a group of spiders is called a "clutter of spiders" or " a cluster of spiders." In the case of some people here, I think "a clutter" might be the better term. :D I like it better, anyway.

Hannahs Herps

Arachnopeon
I actually have an answer for that.

You have things like "a flock of birds. "a pod of whales", "a murder of crows", "a school of fish, etc.

Well, a group of spiders is called a "clutter of spiders" or " a cluster of spiders." In the case of some people here, I think "a clutter" might be the better term. :D I like it better, anyway.
Well that confirms it. We are hoarders with our clutter. Sounds about right.

Dave Jay

Arachnoknight
Better than "tarantula fancier", my friends thought "pigeon fancier monthly" was an hilarious name for a magazine! Ooh la la