Blue Zebra Mystery

Gaytor

Arachnopeon
Hello everyone! I hope this isn’t a silly question to post, but I recently expanded my collection from 6 T’s to 9 T’s. One of the T’s I picked up was labeled “Peruvian blue zebra.” Today I was looking at another local pet shop and noticed they have them labeled “Costa Rican Blue Zebra.”

I have been doing a little digging and I’m coming up with both names. Now, the scientific name appears to be the same across the board, but it looks like there is a 1 and a 2. Mine is still a little sling but I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out a little. I label all my T enclosures with trade name (mainly because they are easier for the non-T loving population and I try to spread a lot of awareness so I’m often using their trade names), then their scientific name, and lastly the pet names I may have given them.

My questions are:
1. Which is correct? Costa Rican Blue Zebra or Peruvian Blue Zebra
2. How can I tell if I have a 1 or a 2? I am trying to get definitive answers, but it looks like there’s a lot of conflicting information.

I’m not exactly a novice T mom, I’ve had them on and off since I was 15, but I’ve started expanding into the less common species and some of the ones that are a little more advanced (salmon pinks, baboons, etc) and I just want to make sure any and all of the information I’m getting is correct so I ensure their needs are being properly met. I appreciate any and all feedback!

I did the best I could to get a picture of the baby in question, but I’m sure I’m not the only person who knows how elusive the beauty of these creatures can be on camera.

Attachments

cold blood

Staff member
When you buy a t, especially a sling, and only know a random common type name, chances are you will never know what you actually have.

Hearing the name, I would suspect A. seemani, but Peruvian??...well, there's no seemani there, so who knows.

Looks like a non-descript t that could be any number of 100+ species. Maybe you will be able to better figure things out when its a juvie or adult. Looks like a Lasiodora, but they don't live in Peru either....sooo

Gaytor

Arachnopeon
I appreciate your feedback. It was suggested to be a Homoeomma sp. blue possibly. I attached a photo of one of the Google results that I had seen (I’m aware that’s not exactly scientific research, just trying to clarify some of the things I’m finding).

I’m wondering if they had the “blue zebra” part incorrect or if they had the “Peruvian” part incorrect. I know finding them at pet shops can create some confusion, as seen here, but expos and breeders aren’t easy to find around me, so I’m often limited a bit.

Attachments

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Common names should generally be avoided as they pretty much always confuse things. However those are two distinct spiders..."Costa rican zebra'' refers to A.seemanni whereas "Peruvian blue zebra" refers to Homoeomma sp. blue.

2. How can I tell if I have a 1 or a 2? I am trying to get definitive answers, but it looks like there’s a lot of conflicting information.
Impossible to tell for certain at that size...but as it grows you should get an idea.

Gaytor

Arachnopeon
I’m assuming the “optimistic” rating is a really nice way of saying “Oh...Honey. No.”

Common names should generally be avoided as they pretty much always confuse things. However those are two distinct spiders..."Costa rican zebra'' refers to A.seemanni whereas "Peruvian blue zebra" refers to Homoeomma sp. blue.
Impossible to tell for certain at that size...but as it grows you should get an idea.
Okay! This is what I was looking for. Perfect. So they are two different T’s not people naming the same T different things. The guy is blue in person, does the A. Seemanni have a blue color form to your knowledge?[/QUOTE]

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaytor

Arachnopeon
They should be two different Ts, but with petshops and common names you never know.

Yeah, I am aware of that. I appreciate you help. Like I said before, in my immediate area common names and pet shops are the norm. I went to a local expo recently and connected with a couple breeders and people who have decent wholesalers to avoid these kinds of things in the future.

Having said that, when I see a pet shop with poorly taken care of T’s it instantly becomes a rescue mission. So I sometimes just have to purchase and pray. Hah.

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Having said that, when I see a pet shop with poorly taken care of T’s it instantly becomes a rescue mission. So I sometimes just have to purchase and pray. Hah.
I know what you mean, and plenty of others think that way...but keep in mind that they will just refresh their stock. In the future, your much better off buying from your local breeders/vendors that specialize in tarantulas.

Gaytor

Arachnopeon
I know what you mean, and plenty of others think that way...but keep in mind that they will just refresh their stock. In the future, your much better off buying from your local breeders/vendors that specialize in tarantulas.

That is the plan from here on out. I just started expanding. Most of my prior T’s were actually “adopted.” People who couldn’t (or didn’t want to) take care of them asked me to take them in because I had one. And from there I learned all about the different T’s I had, but I’ve rarely ventured into the “shopping” world until now. Some of the males were already mature and have passed and now that I have some room I’m learning valuable lessons about the trade.

I appreciate all of the help. I hope this wasn’t a seriously ridiculous question. I kind of feel like an ass about the common name thing as it is, but the gen pop looks at me like I’m an alien when I say “P. metallica.”

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
Hello everyone! I hope this isn’t a silly question to post, but I recently expanded my collection from 6 T’s to 9 T’s. One of the T’s I picked up was labeled “Peruvian blue zebra.” Today I was looking at another local pet shop and noticed they have them labeled “Costa Rican Blue Zebra.”

I have been doing a little digging and I’m coming up with both names. Now, the scientific name appears to be the same across the board, but it looks like there is a 1 and a 2. Mine is still a little sling but I was hoping you guys might be able to help me out a little. I label all my T enclosures with trade name (mainly because they are easier for the non-T loving population and I try to spread a lot of awareness so I’m often using their trade names), then their scientific name, and lastly the pet names I may have given them.

My questions are:

I’m not exactly a novice T mom, I’ve had them on and off since I was 15, but I’ve started expanding into the less common species and some of the ones that are a little more advanced (salmon pinks, baboons, etc) and I just want to make sure any and all of the information I’m getting is correct so I ensure their needs are being properly met. I appreciate any and all feedback!

I did the best I could to get a picture of the baby in question, but I’m sure I’m not the only person who knows how elusive the beauty of these creatures can be on camera.
Yes there is a "blue color form" of Aphonopelma seemanni. Your pic isnt the clearest but it looks to be getting some color, an easy tell for A. seemanni (reg or bcf) is the undercarriage and spinnerets, both will be peach/flesh light orange in color. Does you little one have pink spinnerets?
spinnerets
A. seemanni bcf 10.jpg

A. seemanni bcf
2018-01-17 12.31.50-1.jpg

A. seemanni (blue highlight when freshly molted but not all blue)
A. seemanni 9.jpg

Gaytor

Arachnopeon
Yes there is a "blue color form" of Aphonopelma seemanni. Your pic isnt the clearest but it looks to be getting some color, an easy tell for A. seemanni (reg or bcf) is the undercarriage and spinnerets, both will be peach/flesh light orange in color. Does you little one have pink spinnerets?
spinnerets
View attachment 272950

A. seemanni bcf
View attachment 272948

View attachment 272949

Yes! He does have pink spinnerets! So he’s an A. seemanni. That is perfectly fine with me either way, I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I can’t tel you how much I appreciate this. That first photo looks just like this little T. Thank you SO much!

SnappyMantid

Arachnopeon
That is the plan from here on out. I just started expanding. Most of my prior T’s were actually “adopted.” People who couldn’t (or didn’t want to) take care of them asked me to take them in because I had one. And from there I learned all about the different T’s I had, but I’ve rarely ventured into the “shopping” world until now. Some of the males were already mature and have passed and now that I have some room I’m learning valuable lessons about the trade.

I appreciate all of the help. I hope this wasn’t a seriously ridiculous question. I kind of feel like an ass about the common name thing as it is, but the gen pop looks at me like I’m an alien when I say “P. metallica.”
Believe me, I'm hopeless in siencetific names... And just wait for the T to get bigger, then it will be easier to ID. Have fun with 'em!

spinnerets
View attachment 272950

A. seemanni bcf
View attachment 272948

View attachment 272949
Yes! He does have pink spinnerets! So he’s an A. seemanni. That is perfectly fine with me either way, I just wanted to make sure I was on the right track. I can’t tel you how much I appreciate this. That first photo looks just like this little T. Thank you SO much!
:p Guess someone answered it! :)

cold blood

Staff member
I’m assuming the “optimistic” rating is a really nice way of saying “Oh...Honey. No.”
no, im optimistic it will get figured out....and nightstalker and sdsnybny seemed to have already been quite helpful.

Gaytor

Arachnopeon
Believe me, I'm hopeless in siencetific names... And just wait for the T to get bigger, then it will be easier to ID. Have fun with 'em!
I appreciate that affirmation. I’m trying to get better with them, as a prior nursing student you’d think I’d be riding the struggle bus a little less, but here we are!

I’ve had a lot of fun with these amazing T’s. I look forward to growing my hobby.

"Flesh light orange," eh? Is this a new colour?

:troll:
HOW DID I MISS THIS WHEN I READ IT?! His undercarriage does have a flesh light orange color to it...I’ll say that.

Greasylake

Arachnoprince
His undercarriage does have a flesh light orange color to it...I’ll say that.
I've never heard any part of a tarantula refered to as an undercarriage before. Maybe I'll start calling their legs landing gear and their fangs fun sticks.

Last edited:

sdsnybny

Arachnogeek
"Flesh light orange," eh? Is this a new colour?

:troll:
Yes I just made it up:p.....every person sees color different I have had keepers say orange, peach, tan and or flesh color.

I've never heard any part of a tarantula refered to as an undercarriage before. Maybe I'll start calling their legs landing gear and their fangs fun sticks.
Well mixing two favorite things (cars n tarantulas) somethings just naturally work well. The OP knew exactly what i meant. :mooning:

Gaytor

Arachnopeon
I quite liked the term “undercarriage.” I, too, like cars.

Also, I think the fangs should be called Pokey Poles. But that’s just me.

Doesn't look anything like my two Homoeomma sp. Blue. My money is on it being an A.seemanni with a creative new common name to sell them to unsuspecting people.
Homoeomma sp. Blue spiderling.
Honestly, the owner of the particular pet shop I went to is a decent guy. I’m sure he got it mixed up by mistake, honestly. I just wanted to make sure I was on the right care path for the little dude. Sometimes shy just happens. I wasn’t looking for either species particularly, I was more or less just looking at some T’s and liked this guy. So I’m not hung up on the actual outcome too heavily. I like him just the same. When he (or she, fingers crossed) starts growing I’ll be sure to update.

I’m pretty convinced it’s an A. seemanni as well, but having its common name labeled with “Peruvian” and then having all kinds of conflicting information I figured I’d go to the experts. :)

I’m sure you’ll all see more of me as I expand my hobby. So I appreciate the feedback and patience.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
Mislabeling species has a much wider impact on the hobby - especially with hobbyists doing as much breeding as they do. Maybe, in your case, it isn't that big of a deal, but it does have negative consequences overall.
Personally, I don't buy any tarantula from anyone who uses the common name, with the exception of online ads of hobbyists selling their collections. In those instances, I have only purchased much larger individuals who were easier to identify on sight. I would never buy from someone who considers themselves a seller who only uses common names. That's a recipe for disaster - taking into account the bigger picture.