Blue tongue enclosure help?

Nebs Tarantulas

Arachnosquire
So I got a new blue tongue skink, and this is my first time setting up its enclosure, and I need to know if I got the lamps right, any input is wanted, also any tips on what to improve if need be, the right lamp is a ceramic heater, if I need to buy more things I will soon

Attachments

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Does the left lamp emit heat as well?

You're supposed to make a gradient from warm to cool, so they can choose which side of the enclosure they need to be on. If you make the entire enclosure hot, you're gonna cook it.

I would rearrange your lamps. Put the emitter on the far side, light in the middle, and hopefully that gives the other far side a cooler gradient.

Nebs Tarantulas

Arachnosquire
Does the left lamp emit heat as well?

You're supposed to make a gradient from warm to cool, so they can choose which side of the enclosure they need to be on. If you make the entire enclosure hot, you're gonna cook it.

I would rearrange your lamps. Put the emitter on the far side, light in the middle, and hopefully that gives the other far side a cooler gradient.
Alright thank you so much for telling me, and yes it is an heat emitter as well

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Yeah, and make sure the heat lamps don't get the rock super hot, because it can burn the skink if it gets too hot. Do you have some kind of thermostat with a probe to regulate the temperature inside the enclosure?

Nebs Tarantulas

Arachnosquire
Yeah, and make sure the heat lamps don't get the rock super hot, because it can burn the skink if it gets too hot. Do you have some kind of thermostat with a probe to regulate the temperature inside the enclosure?
No, but I’ll remain hyper vigilant until I buy one, I’ll try for tomorrow

Ultum4Spiderz

Arachnoemperor
Arachnosupporter
No, but I’ll remain hyper vigilant until I buy one, I’ll try for tomorrow
Yeah reptiles are tough I had a freind buy one once and it didn’t end well .. so yeah do your homework and stuff . I’ve never kept one before but it’s higher maintenance than what I keep just inverts Ts . However reptiles are very cool 😎 just more challenging . I still feel bad for that leopard gecko it never hurt anyone .. ☹

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
A lot of people kill their leopard geckos and bearded dragons. It's a shame because they are very cool animals.

I keep herps (frogs, lizards, snakes) and it isn't that much harder than keeping fish. Just a different husbandry focus.

This is a cool reptile, and can live decades in good conditions.

Is the lamp UVB? This is a diurnal species that needs the vitamins from that radiation.

Just make sure that rock does not exceed 100°F on the surface, and the tank does not exceed 105°F overall or you risk overheating your skink. The cool side of the tank should be around 70-80°.

Tarantuland

Arachnoprince
Get a temp gun to make sure basking area is dialed in. Also, I believe different localities have different humidity requirements. I think merauke and northern have slightly different requirements

SpookySpooder

"embiggened"
Arachnosupporter
Get a temp gun to make sure basking area is dialed in. Also, I believe different localities have different humidity requirements. I think merauke and northern have slightly different requirements
You are correct. One locale likes it slightly warmer and more humid. (But not wet) He would have to confirm which is which and make sure he isn't cooking the cooler one.