1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blue death feigning beetles.

Discussion in 'Insects, Other Invertebrates & Arthropods' started by Christianb96, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Christianb96

Christianb96 Arachnoknight Active Member

Advertisement
    I've read that it is extremely hard to breed Asbolus verrucosus. I had some for a little bit and was thinking about getting some more to try and start a colony. Is this even possible? If not why? Does it just come down to being unable to mimic perfectly the conditions in the wild? Has there been any recorded success? Thank you in advance!

2. Ranitomeya

Ranitomeya Arachnoknight

It is very easy to breed them and they produce plenty of eggs and larvae. The difficulty lies in providing the right conditions for successful pupation.

3. Christianb96

So what conditions do they need pupate?

4. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

I'd say try to give them a winter and see what happens. That may be the incentive they need to pupate. There have been a couple people that have had success with breeding them, but they've proven tricky so far.

• Like Like x 1
  5. arizonablue

arizonablue Arachnosquire

If I recall correctly, getting them to pupate required a sand/soil mixture (predominately sand), and consistently high temperatures in the 80s.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Christianb96

Hmm I guess I'll have to get several and try some different things

7. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince Active Member

Actually it's the opposite lol, they need warmth in order to pupate properly, there is a great thread on the subject by @Dean Rider Here.

Breeding this species consistently is by no means an easy thing to do, but definitely not impossible like it was originally thought to be.

8. Christianb96

Wow that's extremely impressive, and gives me hope! It won't be anytime soon but I'm definitly going to give it a shot

• Like Like x 1
  9. pannaking22

pannaking22 Arachnoking Active Member

I actually heard it can go both ways recently, but I think following Dean Rider's example is the way to go since it's tried and true and it was documented very well!

And I agree, consistent breeding is going to take a hell of a lot of work and who knows if/when it will be done.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Hisserdude

Hisserdude Arachnoprince Active Member

Really? Huh, interesting, would like to see @Dean Rider try and get them to pupate with a cool period, and compare the two methods and see which works better.

Indeed, someone would have to really be as devoted as Dean to repeatedly breed them in captivity for hobby purposes, unfortunately since they are easy to catch in large numbers in the wild, I don't see that happening any time soon. :(

• Agree Agree x 1